Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Nova warn of customers being left without connections as the NBP is being rolled out. In fairness to the CEO Dave McDonald he also states what most of us have been saying about wireless as the method of delivery for the project:
    I’m going to say quite clearly that wireless is not the technology for the NBP. Some wireless operators are saying it could be done with wireless, I don’t think it could. I’ll say that straight out. I think fibre’s definitely the way to go for that.

I think [wireless] will be used for niches of delivering connectivity to pockets and certain areas but I don’t think it’s an answer for ubiquitous broadband. Most of the other wireless operators would say the opposite but I don’t think it’s true.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/nova-national-broadband-plan-to-hit-current-services-411569.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nova warn of customers being left without connections as the NBP is being rolled out. In fairness to the CEO Dave McDonald he also states what most of us have been saying about wireless as the method of delivery for the project:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/nova-national-broadband-plan-to-hit-current-services-411569.html

It's quite refreshing to see this as opposed to other wireless ISPs who would probably attempt to get it blocked.

He's right too about the demise of some of those ISPs, especially certain ones who won't evolve with the times.

This reminds me of the time the deflectors in our part of the country were replaced with Sky & Freesat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Wonder if it means nova will offer fibre packages once the place is wired, would stick with them if they did. Kinda worried about losing my connection for awile though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Wonder if it means nova will offer fibre packages once the place is wired, would stick with them if they did. Kinda worried about losing my connection for awile though.
    yea I say nova will use the new NBP network as will other wisp.I think once the proper regulations in place and reasonable cost to access the network.They could offer 4G for people were the old networks being turn off until the NBP network get to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rob808 wrote: »
    They could offer 4G for people were the old networks being turn off until the NBP network get to them.

Unlikely, COMREG will charge millions in licensing fees when they auction the LTE usable bands off and the capex to deploy that much new kit doesnt make sense for a short term fill in the blanks deployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

I recently sent an email to broadband@dcenr.gov.ie querying whether a house which is technically in the "blue" area on the map but is receiving only 15Mbps on eVDSL would be included in the NBP. As the plan recommends a 30Mbps minimum speed.
    I haven't received a reply from the department in 2 weeks. Has anyone else emailed them and received a reply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

lockup35 wrote: »
    I recently sent an email to broadband@dcenr.gov.ie querying whether a house which is technically in the "blue" area on the map but is receiving only 15Mbps on eVDSL would be included in the NBP. As the plan recommends a 30Mbps minimum speed.
    I haven't received a reply from the department in 2 weeks. Has anyone else emailed them and received a reply?
    You must be one of the 197,000 added recently to the NBP...
    Though could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

marno21 wrote: »
    It's quite refreshing to see this as opposed to other wireless ISPs who would probably attempt to get it blocked.

He's right too about the demise of some of those ISPs, especially certain ones who won't evolve with the times.

This reminds me of the time the deflectors in our part of the country were replaced with Sky & Freesat

Nova themselves should be fairly worried.. Nova were the only game in our village until about a month ago. Then the fibre cabinet that was coming for close to 18 months finally materialised. Three days later imagine signs started popping up. It'll be hard to compete when you're charging 50 euro for 20mb Down/ 1mb Up (and maybe getting 8max).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nova themselves should be fairly worried.. Nova were the only game in our village until about a month ago. Then the fibre cabinet that was coming for close to 18 months finally materialised. Three days later imagine signs started popping up. It'll be hard to compete when you're charging 50 euro for 20mb Down/ 1mb Up (and maybe getting 8max).
    Imagine have no proven pedigree, and not everyone in the village will be able to get eFibre. There's a market there but it's getting thinner and thinner alrigth.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I actually received a reply next working day.

They asked for permission to forward my Eircode and details to the Commercial operators who would supposedly contact me direct with their plans for the area my house is in.

I wont hold my breath on that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

People are supposed to contact the Department if they think they should be included. Pretty sure about that, just don't have link to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

This was always my worry when the NBP was announced - Wireless ISPs profitability will be eroded as their customers are connected piecemeal to NBP, to the point where they shut down leaving customers with no service until NBP reaches them. Could be years in some cases.

Ideally WISPS could be subsidised to maintain service in the meantime until full NBP connectivity is achieved.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Ideally WISPS could be subsidised to maintain service in the meantime until full NBP connectivity is achieved.

No as a taxpayer and a WISP user that is not ideal. What the government could do is give away radio licenses so all the ranges are better utilised for internet use, at end of day thats why we were told we are switching to digital TV to free up some spectrum.

df_h wrote: »
    No as a taxpayer and a WISP user that is not ideal. What the government could do is give away radio licenses so all the ranges are better utilised for internet use, at end of day thats why we were told we are switching to digital TV to free up some spectrum.

Fat chance of COMREG/DECNR giving away those bands for anything less than 50 mil :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Fat chance of COMREG/DECNR giving away those bands for anything less than 50 mil :rolleyes:

A lot more than that would be expected for the 700MHz band, they got approx. €285m for the cleared 800MHz band back in 2012 (almost €900m for the combined 800/900/1800 bands).

This was always my worry when the NBP was announced - Wireless ISPs profitability will be eroded as their customers are connected piecemeal to NBP, to the point where they shut down leaving customers with no service until NBP reaches them. Could be years in some cases.

I think what will happen is, an area will get fibre run first, then and only then will houses become connected, so it will be pretty quick when the time comes..not years..

Oh and the less energy going through the air, will be better for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I need some advice. I live in an area where the nearest cabinet is about a kilometre away and we still operate by copper wire. According to Eir, my maximum speed is 3mb/s, which is quite obviously horrendous. I'm in an area covered by commercial operators and all of the cabinets near me are fibre enabled, yet we do not yet have access. Should I contact someone or wait another 4/5 years for actually good speeds?? I live just outside Cork City and its a bit of a joke really.

Big talk from Enet investor David McCourt. ESB should stick to power generation and eir may not be here for the long haul.

http://www.independent.ie/business/the-billiondollar-boston-mogul-who-aims-to-fix-irelands-broadband-34906474.html

pegasus1 wrote: »
    I think what will happen is, an area will get fibre run first, then and only then will houses become connected, so it will be pretty quick when the time comes..not years..

Oh and the less energy going through the air, will be better for us!

Problem there is what you mean by "an area".
    The coverage footprint of a fibre run, and that of a radio transmitter will certainly not match 100% - it is the customers in those in-between areas that are likely to lose service.

• Advertisement

Problem there is what you mean by "an area".
    The coverage footprint of a fibre run, and that of a radio transmitter will certainly not match 100% - it is the customers in those in-between areas that are likely to lose service.
    An Exchange area!

An Exchange area!

So yes, a WISP will typically have customers over multiple exchange areas.

Lose one big chunk of those and your profit goes through the floor. Zero guarantee as to when adjacent exchange areas will be upgraded, so if WISP shuts down, then those customers have a period of no viable fixed service.

"It would be cheaper to dig up the roads and put in new ducting for mobile phone and broadband coverage infrastructure than to use the existing ducting due to current pricing structures"

Pretty shocking. Hopefully this new SI will help to address this.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cheaper-to-dig-up-roads-than-access-ducting-for-broadband-1.2735841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'll just leave this here....:D Maybe it belongs in the SIRO thread.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Interesting conversation on rte radio 1 right now.

• Advertisement

daraghwal wrote: »
    That Sean guy annoyed me why should tax payer pay for NBP.I would like to say to him why should tax payer pay for TV licence for the crap that knowing as RTE.:D

*Correction*: Not interesting at all. Just the same sh1t regurgitated as usual

So, They installed water meters arse ways...Do we really want them to install fibre runs etc..?

If KN, eir and this crowd all get the same, good training, then I don't see a problem with it. Wouldn't it be better to have more people working on it to roll it out faster?

• Advertisement

If KN, eir and this crowd all get the same, good training, then I don't see a problem with it. Wouldn't it be better to have more people working on it to roll it out faster?

In a perfect world..... This isnt a perfect world. There is a BIG difference between the average contractor and an in house (the exception being former Eircom techs now working for the others).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

So, They installed water meters arse ways...Do we really want them to install fibre runs etc..?

The quality of work on the water meters was generally pretty decent, when the local louts weren't attacking the workers.

No doubt broadband will involve ducting etc that would be similar work, although trained people would be needed for the fibre optic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The quality of work on the water meters was generally pretty decent, when the local louts weren't attacking the workers.

No doubt broadband will involve ducting etc that would be similar work, although trained people would be needed for the fibre optic etc.

Not at all, KN gave their fibre to the home installers one days training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If siteserv are involved the AAA loo-lah's and their supporters will have a conniption with Denis O'Brien conspiracies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

xxyyzz wrote: »
    If siteserv are involved the AAA loo-lah's and their supporters will have a conniption with Denis O'Brien conspiracies.

I'm all for conspiracy because if there is work and millions to be made then it will get the go ahead just like the hundreds of millions squandered on unnecessary water meters. The main thing is it gets built and it is Fibre is used. I don't care who builds it once it gets built and WISPs and the 4G lobby are kept out of it. If Denis O'Brien makes money I don't give a damn if his workers or some lad from Timbuktu builds it. If the NBP is built it will be remembered as this centuries greatest achievement similar to how rural electrification changed the landscape between the fifties up to the mid-Seventies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm all for conspiracy because if there is work and millions to be made then it will get the go ahead just like the hundreds of millions squandered on unnecessary water meters. The main thing is it gets built and it is Fibre is used. I don't care who builds it once it gets built and WISPs and the 4G lobby are kept out of it. If Denis O'Brien makes money I don't give a damn if his workers or some lad from Timbuktu builds it. If the NBP is built it will be remembered as this centuries greatest achievement similar to how rural electrification changed the landscape between the fifties up to the mid-Seventies.
    hear hear!

But if Denis O Brien's company is part of it, it is in his best interest to keep the 4g and WISPs at bay so he could just tell them to not talk about them in his media too. That would be handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

They should publish that and rename it a biography. Some amount of BS.

love this line...

“ESB is a very well run company and very well respected. However, it is the third most expensive power company in the EU-27. Maybe they should be spending their money figuring out how to drive down the cost of power which would be good for Ireland, industry and entrepreneurs than spending it on telecoms.”

translated from business language:

"I hate that the ESB are bidding against us for the NBP it will mean we have competition"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

damienirel wrote: »
    They should publish that and rename it a biography. Some amount of BS.

I get the feeling that Eir, SIRO and Enet will all end up getting a slice of the NBP when it's finalised. There'd be a lot of dented egos otherwise!

sennah wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Eir, SIRO and Enet will all end up getting a slice of the NBP when it's finalised. There'd be a lot of dented egos otherwise!

I thought they were laying it out either one takes all or the country is divided into two parts given to 2 of the 3 companies?

You think so???? Hah, how do you think tendering for work in the big world works...!

You think so???? Hah, how do you think tendering for work in the big world works...!

i think it involves brown envelopes - used to when FF were in charge anyways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

damienirel wrote: »
    i think it involves brown envelopes - used to when FF were in charge anyways

I just hope Enet are kept out of it, they'd try spin some bull**** about airspeed delivering 30mbs via 4G or Wisp technology because Airspeed are a Wisp, it has to be fibre and let EIR and Siro do it, they have the infrastructure and expertise whereas Enet have nothing only wisp outdated baloney. They can be the token competitor but give it to Siro and EIR.

Not really fair considering they started the MANs way before anyone even thought up the concept of a smartphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

ED E wrote: »
    Not really fair considering they started the MANs way before anyone even thought up the concept of a smartphone.

I thought eNet were only managing the MAN's on behalf of the State? Did I read too that most of the MAN's went un-used as pricing was off the wall and some had no back-haul in place!?

I also think that is unfair on Enet. As far as I know having read some of their submissions to the DCENR they would intend using a largely FTTH solution. However despite David McCourt's protestations, without the physical infrastructure of the other two, I foresee them having an uphill battle to win a lot.

I thought eNet were only managing the MAN's on behalf of the State? Did I read too that most of the MAN's went un-used as pricing was off the wall and some had no back-haul in place!?

You are correct. The MANs were funded by the taxpayer and the EU. Enet are merely managing them. I believe that you are also correct about the success or otherwise of certain MANs.

• Advertisement

Looks like Eir are in the best position to roll this out - they have started to slowly turn the sinking ship around. We can't afford delays at this stage. It's a joke that it has dragged on as long as it has but hey our water network is just as bad. So it doesn't surprise that we are where we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement