Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

damienirel wrote: »
    Looks like Eir are in the best position to roll this out - they have started to slowly turn the sinking ship around. We can't afford delays at this stage. It's a joke that it has dragged on as long as it has but hey our water network is just as bad. So it doesn't surprise that we are where we are.
    Stop being Negative all the time Damien, There has been no further delays as Yet!!! Again stop dragging the thread down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Stop being Negative all the time Damien, There has been no further delays as Yet!!! Again stop dragging the thread down...

Lol! Is reality that horrible? No delays - you're having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Enet have nothing only wisp outdated baloney.

Jesus.

Enet have nothing but fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

rob808 wrote: »
    An earlier article.....

http://www.independent.ie/business/the-billiondollar-boston-mogul-who-aims-to-fix-irelands-broadband-34906474.html

"But don't try to tell McCourt that he's the outsider in the process. When I put it to him that Eir and Siro are the perceived favourites for the contract award and that Enet may be a makeweight to suit the Government's competitive tender, he bristles."

I think the more interesting question is how strong SIRO's interest will be given the shaky commercial results so far. It's a long term strategic decision so maybe they will just discount that as typical of any start=up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Jesus.

Enet have nothing but fibre.

They acquired Airspeed the licensed wireless provider in 2014.

http://enet.ie/fibre-wireless.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

They acquired Airspeed the licensed wireless provider in 2014.

http://enet.ie/fibre-wireless.html
    Enet gona use Airspeed if they win alot so it gona be a mixer of LTE/FTTH were as Eir/Siro will mainly use FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enet gona use Airspeed if they win alot so it gona be a mixer of LTE/FTTH were as Eir/Siro will mainly use FTTH.

Any evidence to support that?

ED E wrote: »
    Any evidence to support that?
    Here you go ED E it in this https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/broadband-plan-eir-siro-enet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

“Our plan would be to fibre-up the vast majority of homes in rural areas and where it is just not possible we would licence high-quality wireless links using Airspeed.”

It is possible to connect every home and premises in the country by fibre. The NBP should be 1Gbit minimum and this 30mbit nonsense scrapped. Fibre is the way forward not wireless technology.

Interesting, didnt know he'd said that.

Its important to note that Airspeed is microwave P2P (the likes that you see feeding rural schools under HEANET) not sectored LTE/Wimax etc like we've seen from others.

While I'm all for 100% fibre, its expensive, if Airspeed deployed something like TMobile suggested with "Cellspot" using Microwave to each small cluster of homes and an LTE Femtocell on one home cover 5-10 others you skip a big part of the spectrum starvation problem.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Its important to note that Airspeed is microwave P2P (the likes that you see feeding rural schools under HEANET) not sectored LTE/Wimax etc like we've seen from others.
    Right, but that's at odds with this:
    While I'm all for 100% fibre, its expensive, if Airspeed deployed something like TMobile suggested with "Cellspot" using Microwave to each small cluster of homes and an LTE Femtocell on one home cover 5-10 others you skip a big part of the spectrum starvation problem.
    There's no future-proofing in such a solution.

I'll keep saying it: if we're going to build infrastructure, let's please shut up about wireless. Wireless isn't infrastructure.

Sure, but expect the project to run way over budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Sure, but expect the project to run way over budget.

The country has plenty money and this is very important much more important than alot of what Govt expenses is wasted on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in about 95% of cases fiber is the right thing to do but there will be the very odd exception, lets say there is a house which is more than 5km from the nearest other house, situations like that would require wireless. One off housing really is not a great use of fiber.

Gonzo wrote: »
    in about 95% of cases fiber is the right thing to do but there will be the very odd exception, lets say there is a house which is more than 5km from the nearest other house, situations like that would require wireless. One off housing really is not a great use of fiber.

Exactly.

enhanced-buzz-22311-1288909026-7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 aiden007

At first when I heard about fibre optic broadband I thought great,but then I heard about seriously high power transmitted through power lines spewing serious radiation everywhere like antennas causing serious health issues such as cancer.Other countries have already abandoned broadband through powerlines because of health risks,interference to other frequencies and devices
    In Ireland they only really talk about fibre optic cable but don't talk to much about broadband being transmitted through powerlines and the serious health risks that go with it.
    Do the research on bpl,I personally don't like the thought of radiation coming out of my sockets. Who cares about cancer when you have fast broadband.
    Its always money over health!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

aiden007 wrote: »
    In Ireland they only really talk about fibre optic cable but don't talk to much about broadband being transmitted through powerlines and the serious health risks that go with it.

Who do you think is sending broadband over powerlines?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

At first when I heard about fibre optic broadband I thought great,but then I heard about seriously high power transmitted through power lines spewing serious radiation everywhere like antennas causing serious health issues such as cancer.Other countries have already abandoned broadband through powerlines because of health risks,interference to other frequencies and devices
    Do the research on bpl,I personally don't like the thought of radiation coming out of my sockets. Who cares about cancer when you have fast broadband.

The idea to transmit broadband via powerlines was abandoned year's ago.

The Cush wrote: »
    Who do you think is sending broadband over powerlines?

ESB paired with Vodafone,siro is doing the work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They're running fibre optic cable using ESB pole and duct infrastructure.

• Advertisement

No.

They hang fibre on the same poles, they dont send any data over powerlines. That doesnt work.

Sorry but you are wrong that is how they are bringing it to rural Ireland..ok eir sales person came to my house and asked me to avail of 1000 mb broadband,he told me it is in your electric, I said I didn't want this radiation going through my house,he said there is nothing you can do it is transmitted through the power lines and you just plug an adapter to decode it basically. The fact is urban areas will be fibre optic an rural is bpl.

ok but what happen if that house can't get a wireless signal how do they get 30mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

Sorry but you are wrong that is how they are bringing it to rural Ireland..ok eir sales person came to my house and asked me to avail of 1000 mb broadband,he told me it is in your electric, I said I didn't want this radiation going through my house,he said there is nothing you can do it is transmitted through the power lines and you just plug an adapter to decode it basically. The fact is urban areas will be fibre optic an rural is bpl.

And therein lies the problem

No one is doing BPL. Eir is going fibre. Siro is going fibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Sales people spout all sorts of rubbish and rarely have a clue about what they are selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You expect me to believe this?

An 'eir sales person' came to your door selling a Siro product?

Complete nonsense! As much nonsense as the idea that eir and/or Siro are delivering broadband through power lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

But surely you could buy a tin foil hat to protect yourself.

On what planet is one in twenty "the very odd exception"? Also, how many houses in this country are 5km from any other house?

Seriously: there are enough vested interests out there trying to preserve the digital divide. Rural electrification wasn't about bringing mains to 95% of houses and cobbling together a half-assed battery delivery service to the remainder.

If we're building infrastructure, let's build infrastructure. Wireless isn't infrastructure.

At first when I heard about fibre optic broadband I thought great,but then I heard about seriously high power transmitted through power lines spewing serious radiation everywhere like antennas causing serious health issues such as cancer.

It's already been pointed out to you that we're not talking about delivering broadband over power lines (except by running fibre along those lines), but this myth of non-ionising radiation causing cancer needs to be killed with fire. It's up there with all the bolloxology about fluoride and vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/technology/how-to-give-rural-america-broadband-look-to-the-early-1900s.html?emc=edit_th_20160808&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66461833&_r=0

Todays New YorkTimes.....Broadband being installed in rural USA.

My god.....some people will believe anything..... this is how BB will be run in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I must admit I nearly took the bait. Top wumming :)

ok but what happen if that house can't get a wireless signal how do they get 30mb.

it will be up to the government to make sure such an area has wireless, however these would be in extreme cases. The NBP has to deliver to every home and premises in the country so everyone has to get a service.

FTTH should be priority for all but the most isolated of areas where its just not practical to wire fibre for miles just for 1 or 2 isolated houses. Having said that, setting up a wireless network for just 1 or 2 houses is also very expensive so maybe they could look at the cost between the 2 options of fiber or wireless and go with the more economical one.

Having said that, setting up a wireless network for just 1 or 2 houses is also very expensive so maybe they could look at the cost between the 2 options of fiber or wireless and go with the more economical one.

More to the point, they should look at a cost/benefit analysis of building future-proof fibre infrastructure versus building a wireless network that will probably be obsolete in five years.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    More to the point, they should look at a cost/benefit analysis of building future-proof fibre infrastructure versus building a wireless network that will probably be obsolete in five years.

Im guessing by 2022 that wireless would be much better than what we have now. Imagine's LTE service indeed has a shelf live, will be obsolete by 2020, even FTTC in it's current form will be no longer considered fast by 2020.

The NBP needs to get rid of it's minimum target of 30megs download and 6meg upload, that sounded fast back in 2012 but even in 2016 those speeds are not considered to be great.

The NBP needs to get rid of it's minimum target of 30megs download and 6meg upload, that sounded fast back in 2012 but even in 2016 those speeds are not considered to be great.

Thats an initial target and bidders need to demonstrate and ability to increase over time. The DECNR has already sorted this, its not a problem.

• Advertisement

Im guessing by 2022 that wireless would be much better than what we have now.
    Unless they introduce some new laws of physics in the next six years, wireless will be slightly better than what we have now, and wireless is currently barely capable of delivering 30M with any kind of consistency and without caps.

But that's not the real point. Whatever wonderful new wireless equipment is available in 2022, it won't be the same equipment that would have been installed under the NBP, and would require wholesale replacement in order to upgrade it.

I have to keep banging the drum: fibre is infrastructure. Run a fibre to a house now, and there's every reason to believe we'll still be able to provide a decent service over it in 25 years' time.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/268f85da-4ce7-11e6-8172-e39ecd3b86fc.html

The EU wants every household in the bloc to have access to 100 megabits per second broadband within a decade, as part of ambitious new targets that will extend speeds of 1 gigabit per second — 10 times faster — to nearly all schools and businesses.

The targets, which are detailed in a copy of the plan seen by the Financial Times, come as part of a sweeping overhaul of the EU’s telecoms rules to be unveiled by the European Commission in September.

Brussels regulators are drawing up proposals aimed at encouraging co-investment to meet its aspirations for ultrafast broadband across the region, with both private and public money expected to be needed, according to the draft plans.

The commission will also look at reviewing state aid rules, in a bid to encourage more public investment and create a so-called “gigabit society”.

Industry figures were sceptical about how much public funding would be forthcoming, however.

“Ninety per cent of investment will need to come from private investors,” said one representative from a large telecoms group. “It will not come from public budgets.”

The telecoms sector is one of the lobbying industries in Brussels, where national interests collide and private companies clash with their formerly state-owned counterparts, with huge sums of money at stake.

In total, telecoms companies will have to invest roughly €155bn over the coming decade to offer speedier internet access, to reach the goals outlined in the leaked document.

With 80 per cent of the costs of new broadband related to digging holes in the ground, Brussels will also push for closer co-operation between telecoms groups and other utilities in a bid to lower costs.

KOR101 wrote: »

don't think anyone can read that without a subscription. Good to see the EU recommending a minimum of 100megs.

If we were to set that target here currently only 34,000 Eir customers and Virgin Media customers would be beyond the minimum spec. Meaning the entire FTTC rollout would have to be upgraded again and everyone else put on FTTH.

don't think anyone can read that without a subscription. Good to see the EU recommending a minimum of 100megs.

If we were to set that target here currently only 34,000 Eir customers and Virgin Media customers would be beyond the minimum spec. Meaning the entire FTTC rollout would have to be upgraded again and everyone else put on FTTH.

Introducing that target here would have no immediate effect. The target is
    to have access to 100 megabits per second broadband within a decade
    Providing the NBP does use all fibre then we should easily conform to that target.

• Advertisement

I am in the country! It has been pointed out to me by Eir again that I can get 1000mb broadband because it is being transmitted through powerlines to my location and is in my electricity,fibre optic will not give this same speed,so you are telling me that Eir is lying to me and don't know they are talking about???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I am in the country! It has been pointed out to me by Eir again that I can get 1000mb broadband because it is being transmitted through powerlines to my location and is in my electricity,fibre optic will not give this same speed,so you are telling me that Eir is lying to me and don't know they are talking about???

You are living in cuckoo land and I'd go as far as saying you're making this up now. Eir have nothing to do with powerlines.

Is it a possibility that they mentioned a power line adapter that they sell that can use your internal house wiring to distribute a wired connection around your house? It's nothing like what you are describing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Either that, or you have picked it up wrong. As other posters have said, someone may have gotten confused about using powerlines to distribute broadband inside a house. But, it is definitely not used to deliver it to your house. That technology was considered several years ago, but it suffers from the same bandwidth limitations as wireless and was abandoned years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

1) You are a troll/lying for some stupid reason
    2) The person you have been talking to is actually a scammer that is very confused

I can find no other explanation other than that because even eir sales people would not say power lines because that is what siro (their competition) are using to string fibre along the existing electricity wires NOT EIR (for the most part anyway. There are no ISPs in Ireland providing broadband through power lines. The closest thing to that that is being used is just a powerline range extender which many use to increase their home broadband range through their own internal wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Have a read http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/a-beginners-guide-to-the-new-fibre-broadband-service-siro-31223132.html
    It’s a new fibre broadband network that will run fibre along the ESB’s power lines (both overhead and underground) and into people’s homes and businesses. Because it’s pure fibre -- there’s no copper phone lines involved at any point -- the speeds are very high: up to 1,000Mbs. That’s around four times the top speed of UPC and around 10 times the top speed of Eircom’s current ‘eFibre’ service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

daraghwal wrote: »
    1) You are a troll/lying for some stupid reason

^^^I reckon this is the actual answer, so lets just not feed this troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Absolute bullcrap. None of that makes sense.

Obviously some sales reps working for eir are confused about the technology used to provide 1000mb broadband.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Absolute bullcrap. None of that makes sense.

Obviously some sales reps working for eir are confused about the technology used to provide 1000mb broadband.

That is not at all obvious ...... or even believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

An Imagine employee trying to stir the proverbial??
    Is he trying to scare the farmers into going with imagine...?
    Imagine will be a figment of ones imagination in a few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

pegasus1 wrote: »
    An Imagine employee trying to stir the proverbial??
    Is he trying to scare the farmers into going with imagine...?
    Imagine will be a figment of ones imagination in a few years...

If it was imagine, they would not be offering that service... Pretty sure this one's a troll and we're feeding them!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement