Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

daraghwal wrote: »
    If it was imagine, they would not be offering that service... Pretty sure this one's a troll and we're feeding them!
    No, you didn't get what I meant....he is making it seem that going with eir is dangerous to ones health...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eir's results......

Over 50% of our broadband customers are connected to our fibre network which represents a 28% penetration of fibre premises passed.

Mobile data usage increased by 52% YoY

We have passed 1.6 million premises with fibre at the end of June 2016 and our rollout of high speed broadband to 300,000 premises in rural Ireland is proceeding at pace. We have accelerated our 4G rollout programme and have now reached 84% population coverage which will grow to 95% coverage by early 2017.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/pressroom/FOURTH-QUARTER-AND-FULL-YEAR-RESULTS-ANNOUNCEMENT-TO-30-JUNE-2016-00001/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Poor form that they mix WS and retail accomplishments.

it said it continues to talk with the Department of Communications about clarifying the extent of the tender of rural areas to be reached under the National Broadband Plan.

Eir now expects the Government’s tender will likely be ready at the end of this year and awarded by the early summer of next year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/eir-hails-pivotal-year-for-growth-419229.html

n a social media first, Minister Denis Naughten is to participate in a live broadcast on Facebook addressing questions from the public on the National Broadband Plan.

The broadcast will take the form of a live Q&A session where the public can submit their questions to be answered live by Minister Naughten and the top officials in the Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment. It will go live on Facebook at 7pm on Tuesday, September 13.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/09/09/4126374-cavan-webusers-urged-to-query-minister/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

KOR101 wrote: »
    n a social media first, Minister Denis Naughten is to participate in a live broadcast on Facebook addressing questions from the public on the National Broadband Plan.

The broadcast will take the form of a live Q&A session where the public can submit their questions to be answered live by Minister Naughten and the top officials in the Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment. It will go live on Facebook at 7pm on Tuesday, September 13.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/09/09/4126374-cavan-webusers-urged-to-query-minister/

Good news if he answers everything without trying to use political speak. Hopefully he gives some updates on how things are going, don't expect much, just interested if things are still on track for next summer when it's supposed to get going.

Good news if he answers everything without trying to use political speak. Hopefully he gives some updates on how things are going, don't expect much, just interested if things are still on track for next summer when it's supposed to get going.
    I think the most interesting question is whether there have been any serious discussions about being able to complete the bulk of the plan more quickly than 2022. In other words, is Eir really pushing it's ability to complete the work faster than that, or is it just talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Hopefully it won't turn into a sort of radio interview where they just read off what we already know.

Pity......

He said it will take five years to connect every premises in the country to fast broadband, but the “vast majority” will be connected “within” three years.
    “You are going to be dealing with peripheral areas - the sides of mountains, isolated rural valleys, and so forth - so it will take time to get to those particular locations,” he said.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/09/12/4126440-broadband-qa-from-minister-naughten/

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/naughten-broadband-live-facebook

• Advertisement

Pity......

He said it will take five years to connect every premises in the country to fast broadband, but the “vast majority” will be connected “within” three years.
    “You are going to be dealing with peripheral areas - the sides of mountains, isolated rural valleys, and so forth - so it will take time to get to those particular locations,” he said.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/09/12/4126440-broadband-qa-from-minister-naughten/

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/naughten-broadband-live-facebook

To be honest, I expected this, no way you'd get the most remote people done within three years given how many villages and small towns have been left behind by Eir and now need to be covered by the NBP. If they get the people like me (within 1km of a village) done within three years then that would be a decent milestone, the farmers up on a hill all by their self can wait until after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Surely everybody expected as much? You do the low hanging fruit first, and tackle the edge cases later. It's the Pareto principle really, and it's the only logical way to tackle something like this. No way around it.

I would expect that once the thing get moving, the vast majority will be done relatively quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daraghwal wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't turn into a sort of radio interview where they just read off what we already know.

10 minutes in. Nothing new so far. No significant questions addressed yet.

Oh dear! Denis mixes up his Megabits and Megabytes.

Oh dear! Denis mixes up his Megabits and Megabytes.

CEO of OpenEir does it so can't blame the lowly minister tbf.

Reading a lot of the comments it is clear to see that there is a large amount of ignorance of this project among the general public.

• Advertisement

Despite many interesting questions being asked Denis decides to answer a specific query about some place outside Athlone not having coverage.

Its very joe soap focused, not for nerds like us.

Love how he's claiming responsibility for work done before he took office.

Rural WISPs will be free to access the wholesale network. The department believes many of them will take this up and compete with the behemoths.

The broadcast was a waste of time really. He seems sincere but I wonder what are the chances of Denis remaining the Minister for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Rural WISPs will be free to access the wholesale network. The department believes many of them will take this up and compete with the behemoths.
    I don't see why not surely they can supply some competition.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't see why not surely they can supply some competition.

Some of them will no doubt. The problem is that there is maybe 80 of them according to the broadcast. They can't all survive.

Some of them will no doubt. The problem is that there is maybe 80 of them according to the broadcast. They can't all survive.
    Im sure alot of people who get there broadband of local WISPs will stay with them unless there a complete nightmare to deal with they probably be the first to disappear.

Im sure alot of people who get there broadband of local WISPs will stay with them unless there a complete nightmare to deal with they probably be the first to disappear.
    They will stay with them until they realise they don't get the free TV that goes with the majors package.

They will stay with them until they realise they don't get the free TV that goes with the majors package.
    That very true doh lot people are streaming now Netflix and other Apps.The Wisps have there work set out for them a lot of them will disappear but that to be expected unfortunately.The Wisps with the money and mean to take on Eir and Vodafone will survive like imagine and ripplecom ect.

Despite many interesting questions being asked Denis decides to answer a specific query about some place outside Athlone not having coverage.

Not worth my time then? Was hoping to hear about progress rather than answers to questions any informed person would know already. It amazes me the ignorance of people in regards to national policies directly impacting their lives. :rolleyes:

Not worth my time then? Was hoping to hear about progress rather than answers to questions any informed person would know already. It amazes me the ignorance of people in regards to national policies directly impacting their lives. :rolleyes:

Not really. About 40 minutes of stuff you would already know. I suppose as the process is ongoing it is not really surprising that they could not answer questions such as the one about eir's willingness to sign a binding contract in relation to the 300000 FTTH premises.

Any question like this was simply ignored.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't know about Vodafone but the free TV with Eir isn't really free, it's just bundled into the price of the broadband. I'm sure a third party could undercut them in price seeing as they don't have the cost of the TV package to bear.

In a bid to iron out any issues prior to the national broadband roll out Minister Humphreys is today holding the first of two regional meetings with Local Authorities from across the country.

https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Minister-to-host-regional-meetings-for-broadband-roll-out-565792.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Finally a broadband plan that is going somewhere

Former Eircell boss Stephen Brewer - who headed the telecoms firm when it was sold by Eircom to Vodafone in 2000 for €4.5bn - has started working as a communications advisor for the Department of Communications on its much delayed National Broadband Plan.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/exeircell-boss-gets-advisor-role-35055869.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a bit OT but earlier today there was a 'broadband expert' being interviewed on Sky News about the future rollout of 5G mobile masts across the UK.

He made a few interesting comments such as the UK has really slipped down the ranks recently in broadband speeds, that the UK government has taken their eye off what is happening elsewhere in Europe. He said recently the government is aiming towards 10meg broadband to every premises within the UK by 2020, while the EU is aiming towards 100meg minimum.

I didn't realize the UK were falling behind so quickly until today, we were looking towards the UK as a benchmark for years. All we need now is to try get out NBP up and running, hopefully it will offer speeds in excess of 100megs for everybody.

Gonzo wrote: »
    a bit OT but earlier today there was a 'broadband expert' being interviewed on Sky News about the future rollout of 5G mobile masts across the UK.

He made a few interesting comments such as the UK has really slipped down the ranks recently in broadband speeds, that the UK government has taken their eye off what is happening elsewhere in Europe. He said recently the government is aiming towards 10meg broadband to every premises within the UK by 2020, while the EU is aiming towards 100meg minimum.

I didn't realize the UK were falling behind so quickly until today, we were looking towards the UK as a benchmark for years. All we need now is to try get out NBP up and running, hopefully it will offer speeds in excess of 100megs for everybody.

This is what I kept trying to press when people on some other thread asking if "rural" broadband was a "real" issue. Ireland has a chance to leapfrog a lot of countries if the NBP is executed correctly and everyone stands to gain in the long run, it setups an infrastructure that like electricity can last a good while and still provide an adequate service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

"FF in populist mode with the culchies" shocker.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jesus, did someone forget to tell them about the NBP? :rolleyes:

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Jesus, did someone forget to tell them about the NBP? :rolleyes:
    FF are abit slow FG must have forgot to tell them:D.

The Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA) has rowed in behind Eir’s bid for the National Broadband Plan, the Government-backed scheme which aims to bring high-speed broadband to rural Ireland.

As part of the strategic tie-up, announced today, the IFA will assist Eir, the State’s largest telco, in developing the best broadband solution for the Irish farming community.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ifa-backs-eir-in-bid-for-national-broadband-plan-1.2797366

The Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA) has rowed in behind Eir’s bid for the National Broadband Plan, the Government-backed scheme which aims to bring high-speed broadband to rural Ireland.

As part of the strategic tie-up, announced today, the IFA will assist Eir, the State’s largest telco, in developing the best broadband solution for the Irish farming community.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ifa-backs-eir-in-bid-for-national-broadband-plan-1.2797366

Powerful lobby. I see they are providing the connectivity for the ploughing championship this week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Powerful lobby. I see they are providing the connectivity for the ploughing championship this week.

not surprised tho, I don't see any other service provider stepping up to tackle the problems of future proofing rural broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Gonzo wrote: »
    not surprised tho, I don't see any other service provider stepping up to tackle the problems of future proofing rural broadband.

No surprise them cozying up to Eir as they have their own telecom division that resells to farmers so no doubt it's them making sure they don't lose out.

I don't know if this being post before it just a video of who Enet partner up with for NBP.https://community.calix.com/t5/Calix-Community-Blog/Open-Access-for-Rural-Broadband-in-Ireland-A-Calix-Customer/ba-p/37769

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't know if this being post before it just a video of who Enet partner up with for NBP.https://community.calix.com/t5/Calix-Community-Blog/Open-Access-for-Rural-Broadband-in-Ireland-A-Calix-Customer/ba-p/37769

I did not like to hear about 'gives us tremendous visibility into the customers network' ...... no thanks. My LAN is mine alone!

The European Commission is to engage with local authorities to speed up the roll out of broadband to rural communities across the EU.

The initiative is aimed at making funding available to telecom operators to provide 5G connectivity in remote areas where installation is prohibitive due to cost.

A new Irish National Broadband contract will be signed next year to provide full broadband coverage across Ireland by 2020.

Tim Hayes of the EU office in Dublin said that the EU plan is designed to have every single remote region in Europe connected to the internet.

"We're really anxious to ensure that high-speed broadband as far and as quickly as possible," he said.

"And in that context, we're working really closely with the members of the committees of the regions, so that they can identify the specific areas of priority so they can get rural broadband quicker than others."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/eu-plan-aims-to-speed-up-rollout-of-rural-broadband-756206.html

The European Commission is to engage with local authorities to speed up the roll out of broadband to rural communities across the EU.

The initiative is aimed at making funding available to telecom operators to provide 5G connectivity in remote areas where installation is prohibitive due to cost.

A new Irish National Broadband contract will be signed next year to provide full broadband coverage across Ireland by 2020.

Tim Hayes of the EU office in Dublin said that the EU plan is designed to have every single remote region in Europe connected to the internet.

"We're really anxious to ensure that high-speed broadband as far and as quickly as possible," he said.

"And in that context, we're working really closely with the members of the committees of the regions, so that they can identify the specific areas of priority so they can get rural broadband quicker than others."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/eu-plan-aims-to-speed-up-rollout-of-rural-broadband-756206.html

So the EU are pushing 5G?
    That does not sit comfortably when we had hopes of all getting FTTH :(

So the EU are pushing 5G?
    That does not sit comfortably when we had hopes of all getting FTTH :(

Well considering the three remaining companies in the NBP are proposing FTTH as a solution I don't see what relevance this has to the plan. 5G is not going to change the laws of physics to make it suitable as a broadband delivery system for rural Ireland.

• Advertisement

Mobile broadband does not a long term solution make. When will the politicians learn?????? EU should be pushing for an ambitious fibre project with mobile only needed in more remote cases.

We can only hope Eir, Enet and Siro have the common sense to realise they need to be telling the government and the EU that the only long term solution is a fibre infrastructure.

A couple of things here: 5G doesn't even exist yet, and it's likely that we'll have widespread rural fibre before a standard is even ratified. On that basis alone, I don't think we need to worry about this somehow superseding the NBP; the EC isn't going to tell the government to downgrade its fibre plans to an as-yet non-existent wireless standard.

The second point I'd make is that widespread mobile coverage is a very desirable thing. Do I want 4/5/whateverG to be considered an acceptable future-proof broadband platform? Hell no! Do I want a decent-quality mobile data connection if I'm in Ballycroy and need directions to Ballydehob? Hell yes!

Finally, the NBP is, by its nature, going to require a much more widespread fibre backbone network throughout the country than currently exists. Where there's fibre, cellular coverage is much easier. These aren't contradictory goals; they can be complementary.

It makes me wonder what the EU attitude to FTTH for all will be as they are funding the NBP. Will they want to include 5G in the mix for a portion of premises?

I doubt they'll be prescriptive. Why would they require that some people get a poorer service? If the government wants fibre to all, the EC won't prevent it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I doubt they'll be prescriptive. Why would they require that some people get a poorer service? If the government wants fibre to all, the EC won't prevent it.
    The Eu in race to get 5G out and look like USA gona be first to launch it in 2017.I would imagine if we were to use 5G it be for the very remote but even then would they even get a signal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement