Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    That is a question of what your requirements are and clearly only seen from your perspective. For the average home anything from 10 Mbit/s and up is sufficient.
    /M

I can't get above 2.5mbs on a fixed line service where I live and I live about 4kms outside a city, not on the top of a mountain. And I'm positive I'm not alone in living in what one would consider suburbia and getting a totally inadequate service - this is the norm for Ireland currently, check any bb statistics ranking and see where Ireland is placed. I'm sick to death of people talking about how good we have it here - total $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

turbbo wrote: »
    I can't get above 2.5mbs on a fixed line service where I live and I live about 4kms outside a city, not on the top of a mountain. And I'm positive I'm not alone in living in what one would consider suburbia and getting a totally inadequate service - this is the norm for Ireland currently, check any bb statistics ranking and see where Ireland is placed. I'm sick to death of people talking about how good we have it here - total $hite.

And have you checked, if a fixed wireless provider can offer you more ?

/M

And have you checked, if a fixed wireless provider can offer you more ?
    /M

You seem to think I'm on here making it up? Sigh - yes of course I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

It's clear now that Eir will get the whole scheme.

And as we have a weak regulator Eir will probably half ass the role out. They will fight every fine in the courts and not give proper access to their network. Their repair times will be abysmal and they will probably lie about how many premises they have passed not to mention the extreme disrepair of some of their rural lines and poles.

It may very well be that once they get the contract and the money, they sit on their ass and do nothing except for a healthy balance sheet when they float the company.

user1842 wrote: »
    Its clear now that Eir will get the whole scheme.

And as we have a weak regulator Eir will probably half ass the role out. They will fight every fine in the courts and not give proper access to their network. Their repair times will be abysmal and they will probably lie about how many premises they have passed.

It may very well be once they get the contract and the money, they sit on there ass and do nothing expect to all for a healthy balance sheet when they float the company.

Totally what is going to happen the NBP is a big sick joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

Totally what is going to happen the NBP is a big sick joke.

I hope im totally wrong, I really do. The only way I think to rescue the situation is to give Comreg the legal powers it needs to do its job and give it the staff it needs.

We need an amazing regulator if this will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Imagine a private company owning all the major and national roads in the country and charging excessive rates to use then and providing no upgrades to the roads.

All other lesser roads are open to the rest of the market.

You think that would fly.

I don't.

user1842 wrote: »
    I hope im totally wrong, I really do. The only way I think to rescue the situation is to give Comreg the legal powers it needs to do its job and give it the staff it needs.

We need an amazing regulator if this will work.

We can't even regulate the banks, and that would seem like it should be even higher priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

They have been chewing this NBP for three years now, I think they will chew it for 3 or 4 years more and then they will spit it on our faces.

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    They have been chewing this NBP for three years now, I think they will chew it for 3 or 4 years more and then they will spit it on our faces.

Lol! too f u c k i n right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's real annoying that the NBP has taken so long, and that Eir have done stuff to their own advantage leading to Siro pulling out, but it could be alot worse, at least Eir will provide FTTH to the majority of the country once the NBP is complete. It could have easily ended up with Imagine or some other wireless provider filling the country with wireless junk that will be obsolete within a few years and we'd be back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

This whole discussion is great, it should have happened in whatever Dept Dempsy ran, years ago.
    Now, with Leo and the neo-libs, and a ragbag of Indos, nothing radical will be done, the Examiner is right.

The one real frustration is that the ESB has a cable into every house AND is state owned.

However, the ESB pays a huge "dividend" to their owner, the Minister. This could be used to wrap fibre around the wires, as is done elsewhere. But no, we'll take the divided, and let Siro make their own decisions.

There lies the fundamental problem. The ESB is not privatised, the Dept/Regulator allows them to jack up the prices, despite the so-called competition, because the Dept gets the income. The Dept who gets the money has no interest in pushing on the development of telecommunications. This "policy" suits the Dept of Finance, keeps them happy.

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's real annoying that the NBP has taken so long, and that Eir have done stuff to their own advantage leading to Siro pulling out, but it could be alot worse, at least Eir will provide FTTH to the majority of the country once the NBP is complete. It could have easily ended up with Imagine or some other wireless provider filling the country with wireless junk that will be obsolete within a few years and we'd be back to square one.

Is evident you don't understand the term majority. Because that is not what Eir are doing

Gonzo wrote: »
    That is true if NBP will ever happen, I don't think it will. One political trick to manage the masses is: keep them occupied with small things so they don't come after you for the real thing. NBP is fulfilling that purpose here

I would be happy if I can get Imagine, that would be enough for me.

listermint wrote: »
    Is evident you don't understand the term majority. Because that is not what Eir are doing
    Usually majority means ME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We got signed up for NBP over 5 years ago! 3 years in your dreams,

I lost out on a job because where I lived had very bad phone signal, and I was unaware my phone stopped working at the end of our road,

Finally moved house, contacted the relevant company who blackballed me because I said they never made contact! 5 years and I'll never get my dream job because of it!

lazeedaisy wrote: »

I lost out on a job because where I lived had very bad phone signal, and I was unaware my phone stopped working at the end of our road,

Finally moved house, contacted the relevant company who blackballed me because I said they never made contact! 5 years and I'll never get my dream job because of it!
    D amn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

lazeedaisy wrote: »

You did not sign up to NBP

For clarification
    NBS = National broadband scheme, expired in 2014
    NBP = National broadband plan, announced in 2012 still in consultation

You did not sign up to NBP

For clarification
    NBS = National broadband scheme, expired in 2014
    NBP = National broadband plan, announced in 2012 still in consultation

By sign up - you mean what the government rolled out. Personally I didn't sign up for either but I got both - I'm lucky enough I don't need the latter as I've got a decent 4G signal that is vastly superior to the crap I was paying Eir line rental for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

By sign up - you mean what the government rolled out. Personally I didn't sign up for either but I got both - I'm lucky enough I don't need the latter as I've got a decent 4G signal that is vastly superior to the crap I was paying Eir line rental for.

I'm alright Jack, I hope it lasts and suits your needs for many years to come, but I doubt it.

I've got a decent 4G signal that is vastly superior to the crap I was paying Eir line rental for.
    4Gs come with caps max 250G/month
    How do you get around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4Gs come with caps max 250G/month
    How do you get around that.

Three SIM only deal, unlimited. Usually slow in the countryside.

ED E wrote: »
    Three SIM only deal, unlimited. Usually slow in the countryside.
    Thanks

I'm alright Jack, I hope it lasts and suits your needs for many years to come, but I doubt it.

Not worried. NBP will save us all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

So did someone say the NBP was initiated in 2012, and it will now probably be 2020 by the time a cable is laid?

That must be a record for procrastination in any country though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AidenL wrote: »
    So did someone say the NBP was initiated in 2012, and it will now probably be 2020 by the time a cable is laid?

It took 15yrs to build the S2S cycle lane. Metro north will be a 30yr+ thing. 8Yrs is a blink of the eye.

ED E wrote: »
    It took 15yrs to build the S2S cycle lane. Metro north will be a 30yr+ thing. 8Yrs is a blink of the eye.

No its not why.

Because it's still not done and no sign of it being done either.

Many soundbites but no nothing in a way of NBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The recent likely loss of the apple data centre in athlone is another example.of how slow we do things in this country, and the consequence

The recent likely loss of the apple data centre in athlone is another example.of how slow we do things in this country, and the consequence

First of all, that's Athenry and not Athlone.

And secondly, that's another story entirely. That's muppets objecting to planning wherever they can... because it may cause them another 5 minutes longer to drive to the local mart ... even though they live 20 miles away and it'll create 100-200 new jobs ... because they've got feck all else to do but to object to whatever they came across ... and because this country doesn't need progress nor new jobs ... sure, we're all paying more than plenty taxes ...

Irony (or truth) aside: that's caused by our inheritent complicated planning process, that's useless.

The NBP or broadband issue in this country in general, is because they always stick the department in comms together with something else, that has ZERO to do with comms .. like fisheries .. or natural ressources .. or whatever the f*** ....

And then assign some minister, who has even less of a clue ... who assigns some consultants, who are even more clueless.

So at the end of the day .. until they REALLY copy the UK and give Comreg the teeth, that OFCOM has ... nothing is going to happen.

But since Ireland only half arsed copies the UK .. the result is always going to a combination of worse than half arsed and clueless (due to the brain capacity and knowledge of the minister and consultants).

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

First of all, that's Athenry and not Athlone.

And secondly, that's another story entirely. That's muppets objecting to planning wherever they can... because it may cause them another 5 minutes longer to drive to the local mart ... even though they live 20 miles away and it'll create 100-200 new jobs ... because they've got feck all else to do but to object to whatever they came across ... and because this country doesn't need progress nor new jobs ... sure, we're all paying more than plenty taxes ...

Irony (or truth) aside: that's caused by our inheritent complicated planning process, that's useless.

The NBP or broadband issue in this country in general, is because they always stick the department in comms together with something else, that has ZERO to do with comms .. like fisheries .. or natural ressources .. or whatever the f*** ....

And then assign some minister, who has even less of a clue ... who assigns some consultants, who are even more clueless.

So at the end of the day .. until they REALLY copy the UK and give Comreg the teeth, that OFCOM has ... nothing is going to happen.

But since Ireland only half arsed copies the UK .. the result is always going to a combination of worse than half arsed and clueless (due to the brain capacity and knowledge of the minister and consultants).

/M

Nope, its not muppets objecting that is the problem, it is the process and timescale that we gave to deal with those muppets. Innothwr words, its our planning process

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »

This is a copy paste from an email received from open eir

The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment expect the NBP network roll-out to be completed by 2022.

And most likely delays will happen, and even more likely NBP will never happen.

Nope, its not muppets objecting that is the problem, it is the process and timescale that we gave to deal with those muppets. Innothwr words, its our planning process

Well .. the process and timescale is caused by those other muppets :) ... The point I was making is, that nobody seems to have a bit of sense, when it comes to these things and only wants, what's best for themselves and suits themselves ... nevermind the others (that have no job etc.), the economy and the what's good for the country long term.

Because people can't be bothered thinking long term. Oh wait ... that also applies to the NBP :)

/M

This is a copy paste from an email received from open eir

The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment expect the NBP network roll-out to be completed by 2022.

And most likely delays will happen, and even more likely NBP will never happen.

The Irish media is more obsessed with covering these government related issues?

1. Homelessness
    2. HSE
    3. Garda

more than anything to do with our dismal telecommunications infrastructure.
    So I don't see any government putting the NBP on a high priority list - these people are looking for votes not smarter economies or better quality of rural life. Votes and fat pensions at the end of their political careers.

Lets dig up some scandals, that have to do with lack of Broadband or line rental pricing.

You might get the media to run with that.

Feed them a steady stream of it .. and somebody is bound to wake up bad on a regular basis.

/M

Lets dig up some scandals, that have to do with lack of Broadband or line rental pricing.

You might get the media to run with that.

Feed them a steady stream of it .. and somebody is bound to wake up bad on a regular basis.

/M

The scandal is that we have a bunch of parasites/idiots working as regulators in this country - be that energy - telecoms - banking. Take yer pick.

The scandal is that we have a bunch of parasites/idiots working as regulators in this country - be that energy - telecoms - banking. Take yer pick.

Fact does not print very well in the media. You'll have to do better.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

There used to be a guy called Damien who posted on this site.
    His comments were Trumpesque - erratic and frequently rude.
    He received so many negative responses to his posts he had to leave.
    I wonder what he's doing now?

Danny Boy wrote: »
    There used to be a guy called Damien who posted on this site.
    His comments were Trumpesque - erratic and frequently rude.
    He received so many negative responses to his posts he had to leave.
    I wonder what he's doing now?

says the guy with beauts like this:
    Danny Boy wrote: »
    Yeah cos Virgin Media are itching to roll out cable in bally go backwards, get real.

I'd consider that fairly Trumpesque. Maybe it's fake news lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and im still 5 poles form a fibre connection and the NBP is going to solve my broadband problems (NOT). to be honest how much has been spent on the various NBP's to deliver so little.

with a potential election looming all bets are off i suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

and im still 5 poles form a fibre connection and the NBP is going to solve my broadband problems (NOT). to be honest how much has been spent on the various NBP's to deliver so little.

with a potential election looming all bets are off i suspect

Naughten: Well actually I will contest this point. The National Broadband Plan is already in full swing and the rollout has started. I will tell you hundreds of homes are being connected to real fibre every month as part of our comprehensive plan that will provide fibre to every door.

roddy15 wrote: »
    Naughten: Well actually I will contest this point. The National Broadband Plan is already in full swing and the rollout has started. I will tell you hundreds of homes are being connected to real fibre every month as part of our comprehensive plan that will provide fibre to every door.
    That is very bad news indeed
    Reading between the lines: We aren't going to do a f ucking thing about NBP, so we are letting companies to connect whoever they can connect, by the time that is done, either we are outside the government so we don't give a sh*t, Then whoever there has to do deal with it, or we come up with another con plan.

Very true
    As customers the only thing we can do is to change our ISP every 12 months to get discounts no loyalty no Bullsh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

That is very bad news indeed
    Reading between the lines: We aren't going to do a f ucking thing about NBP, so we are letting companies to connect whoever they can connect, by the time that is done, either we are outside the government so we don't give a sh*t, Then whoever there has to do deal with it, or we come up with another con plan.

It wasn't a real quote, just paraphrasing what he comes out with when interviewed about the NBP. He likes to bundle in Eir's plan with the NBP to make it look like it's started when it hasn't.

roddy15 wrote: »
    It wasn't a real quote, just paraphrasing what he comes out with when interviewed about the NBP. He likes to bundle in Eir's plan with the NBP to make it look like it's started when it hasn't.
    Still the same, he wants to sell the idea that NBP is up and running so he can buy time to see what is the result of next election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/imagine-planning-to-spend-300m-on-broadband-service-36355037.html
    Mr Bolger said Imagine wouldn't be affected by the roll-out of the Government's National Broadband Plan, as the NBP only makes subsidies available for broadband deployment in areas where it is not commercially viable to do so.

To me that sounds like they intend seeking to have areas they cover removed from the NBP. I wonder does this mean more delays for the process as Imagine seek to have such areas removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/imagine-planning-to-spend-300m-on-broadband-service-36355037.html

To me that sounds like they intend seeking to have areas they cover removed from the NBP. I wonder does this mean more delays for the process as Imagine seek to have such areas removed.

If true then it will throw the whole thing into even more disarray.

I cannot imagine how they will be able to claim they cover an 'area' when there are likely to be multiple premises which won't be able to receive their signal ..... as presently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If true then it will throw the whole thing into even more disarray.

I cannot imagine how they will be able to claim they cover an 'area' when there are likely to be multiple premises which won't be able to receive their signal ..... as presently.

Yes I don't think that they would be eventually successful for the reasons you state but could they hold up the process while their claim meanders through the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

If that's their intention then they must go through the process and sign a commitment agreement. They cannot meet the technological requirements in the process, so this is nothing like what Eir did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement