Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Issue advice

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering about a sudden issue which has developed with my camper on its living compartment batteries. My camper is in dry storage, ie kept in a shed and usually I have power supplied to keep the living area batteres fully charged.

I moved the camper last week and left an intenal light on without reconnecting it to the power and now have found my living area battery is totally flat. But it will not recharge and prior to this seemed perfect and was accepting full charge.

I am wonder if I have damaged them by allowing it to totally go flat and is there some way for it to recover or do I need to replace both battereis now ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

It's worth disconnecting and putting it on trickle charger for 24hours. It may be damaged due to deep cycle discharge but worth giving the slow charge a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What kind of charger are you using? I'd go with a smart type charger some of these have recovery modes which pulse high voltage low current to desulphate the battery.
    How old are the batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Batteries don't like being left charging long term, it seems to destroy the cells. Even though the chargers are supposed to only top them up, in my experience they don't shut down enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Westernman wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering about a sudden issue which has developed with my camper on its living compartment batteries. My camper is in dry storage, ie kept in a shed and usually I have power supplied to keep the living area batteres fully charged.

I moved the camper last week and left an intenal light on without reconnecting it to the power and now have found my living area battery is totally flat. But it will not recharge and prior to this seemed perfect and was accepting full charge.

I am wonder if I have damaged them by allowing it to totally go flat and is there some way for it to recover or do I need to replace both battereis now ?

Is there more than one habitation area battery ? Your post infers there may be two. If there are two, are they both fully discharged ? If yes, remove the wiring from both and treat them as separate units. If you can get your hands on a CTEK charger you may be able to revive a totally discharged battery.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHSI_qHOI4U Have a look and google CTEK to find a supplier. I have revived totally discharged batteries and use one of these chargers all the time coupled to 2 x 120 ah batteries. The one I have is a CTEK MXS 25. Hope this is of some help.

Morg

Advertisement