Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house with dog and cat

• 24-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

In January we will be moving house and county. I have a crazy scruffy terrier and a cat with attitude :)

My biggest concern is my cat. We currently live in the country and while he is a major fan of the couch and a warm bed he is also used to being able to roam around the fields hunting poor unsuspecting rodents. There is a very good chance we will end up living in a town. There is no way he would be happy as an indoor cat, I think it would be cruel to him (and us!) As he is used to so much freedom. I would worry about him being let outside in a town with all the traffic and people. Any suggestions? Or has anyone had experience with this? I really dont't want to leave him behind but part of me is wondering if it would be better for him to stay in a situatiom like he is used to.

My dog is a different story. So long as we can find somewhere with a secure garden and some lovely places for walks she will be fine. All the same, is there anything I can/should do to make the transition easier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anamaria wrote: »
    In January we will be moving house and county. I have a crazy scruffy terrier and a cat with attitude :)

My biggest concern is my cat. We currently live in the country and while he is a major fan of the couch and a warm bed he is also used to being able to roam around the fields hunting poor unsuspecting rodents. There is a very good chance we will end up living in a town. There is no way he would be happy as an indoor cat, I think it would be cruel to him (and us!) As he is used to so much freedom. I would worry about him being let outside in a town with all the traffic and people. Any suggestions? Or has anyone had experience with this? I really dont't want to leave him behind but part of me is wondering if it would be better for him to stay in a situatiom like he is used to.

My dog is a different story. So long as we can find somewhere with a secure garden and some lovely places for walks she will be fine. All the same, is there anything I can/should do to make the transition easier?

Hard one with the cat. No way did I ever let mine roam when I lived even in a village and they were fine as they were not used to being out. But the two I have now would fret and be miserable indoors all day . Hard one and as you say easier with a dog

I have had a few moves with these two and keeping them in the day before the move was hard enough .. Hopefully others here have had better success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hard one with the cat. No way did I ever let mine roam when I lived even in a village and they were fine as they were not used to being out. But the two I have now would fret and be miserable indoors all day . Hard one and as you say easier with a dog

The fields surrounding our house are owned by a family member and we are not near a village or busy road so it has never been an issue before. Plus he loves it. Especially in the summer, he will head off into the fields at night and could be gone for hours, I never worry about him as he has the time of his life out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It could be hard for the cat, but in a few weeks he could get used to the indoor life.
    I live in a town, with roads and cars et all.
    My two cats were free to roam in the neighbours all day long, I know they were around and they would come back home when I called them.
    Then, on a morning, one of them two came home with some injuries, she was hit by a car. Apart from some bruises she was fine.
    I decided to keep them indoor from that moment on.
    In the first week they meowed a lot and pledged to get out. I stood firm on my decision, and in a couple of months everything was clear to them.
    Of course the first times will be hard for all of you, but when the cat understands that his world is inside the house the situation will be quieter for everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've seen the transition from outdoor to indoor work as well; it's really down to the cat and how much you can help with giving them access to interesting windows (kitty TV!) and places to climb around to etc.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose part of the problem is that I would feel so guilty keeping him in when he loves being outside. As I was typing earlier I could see him chasing leaves around like a mad thing!

He's 5 now so I don't know how well he would take the change.

• Advertisement

I think that as long as you enrich his indoor life with plenty of toys, spots to hide into, love, food, etc, he'll find your house as interesting as the outside world.
    More, inside is warmer and more comfortable ;)
    You could also give him a companion, another cat that could play with when you're away.

I think that as long as you enrich his indoor life with plenty of toys, spots to hide into, love, food, etc, he'll find your house as interesting as the outside world.
    More, inside is warmer and more comfortable ;)
    You could also give him a companion, another cat that could play with when you're away.

He isn't great with other cats to be honest. He gets cranky with them, hissing and spitting. However he is quite happy to have wrestling matches with the dog! which (obviously) he always wins! I have had other cats before (minding rescue cats) and he was not a happy camper. However, any of the dogs I have minded he's got on really well with. Maybe he has a strong inner dog :-)

He isn't great with other cats to be honest. He gets cranky with them, hissing and spitting. However he is quite happy to have wrestling matches with the dog! which (obviously) he always wins! I have had other cats before (minding rescue cats) and he was not a happy camper. However, any of the dogs I have minded he's got on really well with. Maybe he has a strong inner dog :-)

It will be a challenge... My two come and go as they please but I jam way out in the mountains on a long private lane. Their only "danger" is my outdoor feral who chases them up trees it he can.

Make sure your new windows are not easy to open.. mine is a houdini.

Challenges can be good..

It will be a challenge... My two come and go as they please but I jam way out in the mountains on a long private lane. Their only "danger" is my outdoor feral who chases them up trees it he can.

Make sure your new windows are not easy to open.. mine is a houdini.

Challenges can be good..

Very true. He can already opened door handles!

Very true. He can already opened door handles!

Oh clever cat! :D

Have you thought re a run in the garden? Many find that a good compromise.. My two are like your, outdoor addicts. They come in wide eyed, full of the great outdoors, wired to the moon. My landlord was at the gate once when the bigger one ( huge and long haired) came running up the lane and raced to me when I called. Poor man thought he was some wild critter.

When will you know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

We bought a house in the countryside, and offered to the owner that we would take the cat if he was looking to rehome her. She was an outside cat!
    In the 6 months we've had her, she has become very lazy and would happily laze about all day inside if let. (We don't let her!)
    I have no idea if she could go to be a fully indoor cat (not our intention) but she is definitely more indoor we us than her previous owner!

Oh clever cat! :D

Have you thought re a run in the garden? Many find that a good compromise.. My two are like your, outdoor addicts. They come in wide eyed, full of the great outdoors, wired to the moon. My landlord was at the gate once when the bigger one ( huge and long haired) came running up the lane and raced to me when I called. Poor man thought he was some wild critter.

When will you know for sure?

Do they not just climb over the gate/fence/run?

There's no way to stop a cat from escaping, unless the fence has a net or a mesh over it.

There's no way to stop a cat from escaping, unless the fence has a net or a mesh over it.

That's what I thought. My guy can climb up onto the roof of the house without breaking a sweat so it would probably be pointless

I remember that some years ago I saw a picture on the web where a woman had built a huge cage with timber and mesh in the backyard of her house.
    From the back door of the house it was possible to access this totally enclosed area, with ramps and shelves where the cats could climb onto and enjoy their outdoor life in total safeness.
    I reckon that this cage was about 10 metres each side, 3 metres high.
    It was in Germany.

Ah no; a fully enclosed run, roof and all! To my mind that would be tantalising and frustrating for an outdoor cat.

I think that would probably drive him mad. At the moment I seem to have three options
    1: say a prayer that we end up living somewhere similar to where we are (unlikely)
    2: turn him into an indoor cat
    3: rehome him with someone I trust so he can continue to have the frfreedom he's used to.

I think that would probably drive him mad. At the moment I seem to have three options
    1: say a prayer that we end up living somewhere similar to where we are (unlikely)
    2: turn him into an indoor cat
    3: rehome him with someone I trust so he can continue to have the frfreedom he's used to.

I think so too.. I know my big boy would go bananas...

You can try1, then 2 and then see.. keep all options open as long as possible!

I think you have enough worries re a house move without this though.. NB Used to take Siamese walkies on a lead..

I think so too.. I know my big boy would go bananas...

You can try1, then 2 and then see.. keep all options open as long as possible!

I think you have enough worries re a house move without this though.. NB Used to take Siamese walkies on a lead..

I don't think he would do well on a lead! He is a bit of a badass cat :-) the sort that eats your ankles if you don't feed him quickly enough.

I have a feeling that I should probably go with number 3, it would be selfish of me to try to turn him into an indoor cat as I know with his personality it would be a bit cruel. Plus if he was stuck indoors he would probably ambush us in our sleep as revenge, as he is handy with the doorhandles ;-)

I don't think he would do well on a lead! He is a bit of a badass cat :-) the sort that eats your ankles if you don't feed him quickly enough.

I have a feeling that I should probably go with number 3, it would be selfish of me to try to turn him into an indoor cat as I know with his personality it would be a bit cruel. Plus if he was stuck indoors he would probably ambush us in our sleep as revenge, as he is handy with the doorhandles ;-)

Sounds like my kind of cat! Wish I could take him but I have more than enough with two indoor/outdoor cats and a feral who thinks HE owns the place.

Avoidance is interesting but the house has two doors;)

The latter attaches to my ankles purring all the time I am trying to feed the dogs outside...

Well it sounds as if you have come to terms with it which is more than half the issue

• Advertisement

Sounds like my kind of cat! Wish I could take him but I have more than enough with two indoor/outdoor cats and a feral who thinks HE owns the place.

Avoidance is interesting but the house has two doors;)

The latter attaches to my ankles purring all the time I am trying to feed the dogs outside...

Well it sounds as if you have come to terms with it which is more than half the issue

True. I'm hoping it will work out but I suppose I should prepare for all eventualities :-(

Advertisement