Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants and Boiler Servicing

Options
  • 24-11-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

I know this one has been done to death regarding is it tenant or landlords responsibility and the general consensus is that its the landlords.

I decided to get it serviced (me being tenant) as NAMA is landlord and would take 5 years to get around to it. But get this:
    "In order to request a Bord Gais Energy Home Team boiler service, you must be the home owner. " is what I got in an email when I tried to book one.

So a tenant can't get it serviced unless you go to a local/private crowd........
    The other irony about it is that they kept ringing me to persuade me to get a service yet when I do ask for one, I can't!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

When I got the boiler serviced I organised it myself and took it out of the rent but I had preapproval from my landlord to do this. Not sure how you could do that with NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to live in a NAMA apartment. The boiler hadn't been serviced in several years and was starting to have some performance issues which resulted in our gas bills being a good bit higher than they should have been. We kept hassling the agent that looked after the property with this issue (they were very hesitant to do anything at first) and pointed out as well that gas boilers should usually be serviced annually and we were worried about how safe it was. It took about 3-4 months or so of us contacting them regularly to follow up, then they finally accepted that this needed to be done. They did the entire block then, not just our apartment. So keep contacting the agent about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

in fairness to our agent, he sorted it all out. My main point of this thread is the situation whereby a tenant can't book a service with bord gais.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why not just get some other gas plumber to service it?

Any plumber with the right certification can do it. I had a list of plumbing bits for the LL recently and he organised a plumber to call around, a boiler service was one of the things on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just has to be an RGI certified technician/engineer- doesn't matter who they work for......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Just has to be an RGI certified technician/engineer- doesn't matter who they work for......
    And if you shop round, usually cheaper than a BG service.

Advertisement