Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating

Options
  • 24-11-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if there is a thread started for this, if there is feel free to point me in the direction of where it is. Anyway I'm looking at getting an aquarium heater for keeping my brew at whatever temperature that's recommended for it to ferment properly. So wondering who uses them, are they good, what brand do you use ? Also I've seen lads who place the heater in the brew itself or place it in a bigger container full of water with the fermenter sitting in it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've never used a heater, any room >15 degs will be fine,
    Wrap the fermenter in a blanket or fleece, and the heat of fermentation will add another 2-3 degs

Beer that's too hot will be more likely to have off flavours from the yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BPH

Good to know. the brew I'm currently on says to keep it between 18 and 22 for the beer to ferment, I stuck the brew belt on it just to keep the temperature up. I've it wired through a thermostat so it won't go above 20. Hopefully that'll do the job. Just interested to see what everyone else is doing. I'll be brewing next year in the shed so interested in seeing what people are doing temperature wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In a shed, brew ale in the summer, and lager in the winter... ;)

Advertisement