Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unacceptable delays at Portobello Bridge / South Richmond Street

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Really, I don't see the point in focussing on the actions of one driver - that's a one off.

The fundamental problem here is the road space, or rather the lack of it, caused by retaining parking and loading spaces inside the contra flow bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

alentejo wrote: »
    In general DB drivers are excellent.

For me, the issue is that this junctions has gone from bad to worse since the works and re-direction of bus routes.

Who is in charge here??

Everybody...and Nobody.

The committee principle is firmly in place.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Weak? Yes, weak, because you are deflecting and introducing irrelevant nonsense rather than address the point raised.

The key word in Stop's post is LET. Unless you can prove him/her wrong I shall take him/her at their word, they have no vested interest other than getting to their destination with a minimum of delay.

Im afraid I can't see this deflecting at all ?

The notion that one word in a post is sufficient to make all-encompassing allegations against a specific Busdriver and,by association all Busdrivers is worth challenging,and this is what I'm doing.
    I travelled this recently.

A 14 driver let 6 vehicles pull out of Lennox st onto Richmond street.

These vehicles then all queued up to join the rhs lane on Richmond st, leaving the 14 stuck for 3 cycles of the lights, all the while the lane towards Camden was clear

From my perspective there is nothing in Stop's post to prove wrong.

It appears a factual description of an everyday scenario.

Until Stop comes back on here and clarifies whether the post was/is intended as accusatory then I'll assume none of the negative,accusatory stuff you direct at that particular Busdriver.

The situation as outlined in Stop's post directly references the Traffic Lane Layout and the Traffic Signal phasing and Traffic Volume,none of which is either "Irrelevant" or "Nonsense".

However,you choose to read Stop's post as being critical of the Busdrivers judgement of the situation,without actually knowing the thrust of that post.

There are so many variables in relation to the actions and abilities of those 6 Cars and their Drivers,added to the timing and phasing of the Traffic Signals,that the Busdrivers decision,whether forced or voluntary,can be comfortable accounted for.

However,to choose to immediately weigh in with accusatory comment such as ....
    It probably suited him to be delayed, so he could finish his shift at the terminus rather than have to do another journey.

.....indicates either a lack of comprehension of Bus Operations or a desire to engage in a Shooting Goldfish in a Barrell exercise.

Other posters have at least viewed Stop's post through a realism filter....
    Lxflyer: The fundamental problem here is the road space, or rather the lack of it, caused by retaining parking and loading spaces inside the contra flow bus lane.
    Hyde Road: Is ANYONE actually monitoring this area, to see how it is all working, and how the little things may be tweaked to further relieve it? No, because nobody is monitoring anywhere else either.
    Alantejo:For me, the issue is that this junctions has gone from bad to worse since the works and re-direction of bus routes.
    StreetLight:It's obvious from observing various bus priority systems across the city that they were designed by people who have never driven a bus in their lives.

There's nothing Weak,Deflective or Irrelevant about pointing out the existence of many justifications for a Busdriver allowing other traffic to proceed,however I'm getting a sensation that none of these would satisfy ?

:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

On a slightly broader note, does anyone know if DCC ever responds (or even listens) to individuals' concerns about traffic management, e.g. the timing of lights or the arrangement of bus lanes?

If there is anywhere a citizen can go to suggest improvements (and have their suggestions listened to seriously) then can someone please let us know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

one thing struck me to ask since I've been down Dawson St on many routes (all but the 61), but why are the 15s moved when Dawson St isn't closed. They're happy for them to squeeze through Suffolk St with every other route before, so they could've sent them through Dawson St and around to Pearse St still today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dfx- wrote: »
    one thing struck me to ask since I've been down Dawson St on many routes (all but the 61), but why are the 15s moved when Dawson St isn't closed. They're happy for them to squeeze through Suffolk St with every other route before, so they could've sent them through Dawson St and around to Pearse St still today

I'd imagine it has more to do with keeping a limit on the number of vehicles going along Dawson Street during the construction phase, and also the time that is taken along the revised route (the loop via Westland Row is far longer than going via Georges Street).

Advertisement