Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pushchair/travel system?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I could really do with some advice on this as a. I am absolutely clueless and b. Am a little overwhelmed with the huge range of pushchairs out there!

We have had a Quinny travel system since Baby Merkin came (four months old today incidentally 'ill cutie!:)) and we don't like the Quinny at all, it's huge and cumbersome and we want rid. As an interim measure I bought a Hauck buggy which is perfect for the shops and zipping about but I now need something multipurpose that will actually last and I'm flummoxed! We will be coming home to Dublin in a few weeks on the ferry and I really want to get back into my walking again so need something that will be fine for city and country as we live rurally . Also, do we really need a carry cot? We've never used one as bubs loves being semi propped up looking out or would I need one for the ferry etc?

I appreciate that I sound like a complete eejit but I'm really at a loss as to what I do and don't need. A lot come with car seats but we have a Maxi Cosi already so surely I don't need a second one? I'm also reluctant to spend a fortune on this. I love the look of the Bugaboo for example but I personally think they are really expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've done a search on Boards under pushchairs but I'm none the wiser really given I don't know exactly what I need! If anyone could offer a solution I'd really appreciate it! Thank you xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I recommend this all the time, the out and about nipper.
    http://tonykealys.com/out-n-about-single-nipper.html

The newer models have clips so you can stick the maxi cosi on.

It's a three wheeler, all terrain, quite light, easy to fold and unfold.

I use it in the city, in the woods, on the beach. Good strong, light buggy... but most of all for me, my babies love the hammock motion in it, they nap really well in it. We love naps!

Have a look for second-hand as well. I got the double version of it second-hand, and it's in fab condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't have an out and about nipper myself but friends do and it looks great. It'd be my choice if I were buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pwurple wrote: »
    I recommend this all the time, the out and about nipper.
    http://tonykealys.com/out-n-about-single-nipper.html

The newer models have clips so you can stick the maxi cosi on.

It's a three wheeler, all terrain, quite light, easy to fold and unfold.

I use it in the city, in the woods, on the beach. Good strong, light buggy... but most of all for me, my babies love the hammock motion in it, they nap really well in it. We love naps!

Have a look for second-hand as well. I got the double version of it second-hand, and it's in fab condition.

You've nearly convinced me to trade in and buy this! It's top of my list if I ever need a double :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OMG merkin the baby jogger city mini all the way!!! I have 3!! Lol. I have 2 singles and the double city mini! They are fab! The nippers are meant to be great aswell, but I choose the city mini over the nipper for these reasons...

It's slightly lighter
    The seat for my big boy is longer than the nipper.
    The back of the seat sits up slightly straighter than the nipper which kind of reclines ever so slightly when in the upmost position (this drive my boy nuts... As he likes to be fully 90 degree upright).
    It has an extremely easy one manuver fold mechanism that u only need one hand for... I think the nipper may have this aswell tho.

I was the same as you an initially had a big travel system (bugaboo) but it was such a mission that I sold it. T never used it after the first 5 months! And it was €1300!

The baby jogger city mini (and the out and about nipper) are so versatile and light and are really all in one strollers. The single versions can take a car seat or a basinette (if u want a basinette but it's really not necessary). And the best thing is that they have the one fold system and you don't need to take them apart to disassemble like the bugaboo and Quinny etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You don't need a carrycot at all, the carrycot is just for use when they're small to prevent them being slumped in a car seat for more than 1.5 hours if you're out and about with them longer, so they can move freely, at 4 months he will be into or very nearly into the seat part yes? So you don't need a carrycot and/or a car seat, so you're just looking for a pushchair, instead of a travel system, which is them all together.

• Advertisement

Also the baby jogger and out and about nipper are suitable from birth so you don't need to use a Carrycot or car seat at all no matter what age they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks so much, you've both hit the nail on the head as both buggies would seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Baby Merkin is very long for his age and I suspect may be tall like his Dad so may veer towards the Mini City for the fact that it has a bit more length! Would it be suitable for beach and country walks also?

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks so much, you've both hit the nail on the head as both buggies would seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Baby Merkin is very long for his age and I suspect may be tall like his Dad so may veer towards the Mini City for the fact that it has a bit more length! Would it be suitable for beach and country walks also?

City mini is definitely suitable for long walks. However, you can also get the new city mini gt. Basically it's pretty much the same as the normal city mini except the wheels would be a lot more hard wearing and even more suitable for country roads. It is slightly heavier and slightly more expensive than the normal city mini but I think it's just a but heavier due the the harder wearing wheels. I think the handle also lengthens as desirable which the original city mini doesn't x

.... Gosh ud actually think I was a rep for baby jogger wouldn't you! Lol

Lol :) Thanks a mill, will maybe go and look at some this weekend xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I have the icandy peach 2 and I really like it. I used it for walking on rough terrain and just locked the front wheels (it's a 4 wheeler) when I wanted. Has the ability to be be made into a double buggy if that's on your wish list for the future. We also considered the Orbit baby, the baby jogger city select and the uppababy vista and all were lovely. The Orbit baby was our original choice but a friend of ours had serious difficulty with the chassis and is on their 3rd one (all returned free). The uppababy vista was too heavy and cumbersom and the baby jogger city select was also a little too heavy. What made us choose the icandy was the manoeuvrability and it's weight, easy one handed collapse because baby is normally in the other arm and the carry strap when it's collapsed that makes it easy to get into the boot by putting it on my shoulder.

I have the icandy peach 2 and I really like it. I used it for walking on rough terrain and just locked the front wheels (it's a 4 wheeler) when I wanted. Has the ability to be be made into a double buggy if that's on your wish list for the future. We also considered the Orbit baby, the baby jogger city select and the uppababy vista and all were lovely. The Orbit baby was our original choice but a friend of ours had serious difficulty with the chassis and is on their 3rd one (all returned free). The uppababy vista was too heavy and cumbersom and the baby jogger city select was also a little too heavy. What made us choose the icandy was the manoeuvrability and it's weight, easy one handed collapse because baby is normally in the other arm and the carry strap when it's collapsed that makes it easy to get into the boot by putting it on my shoulder.

I saw one of these the other day being used as a double. Looked really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I saw one of these the other day being used as a double. Looked really nice!

Yep they're really neat as a double alright. I did also try the bugaboo donkey but was afraid I would get mocked for the quirkiness of it in single mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Another baby jogger city mini fan here, the original graco travel system we bought was so heavy and bulky that I couldn't manage it at all. The city mini is great, easy to zip around the shops, can be controlled with one hand and it's so light and easy to fold. The basket underneath is a decent size too and I picked up a set of hamster bags on Amazon (basically pannier bags) that I have stocked with emergency changing supplies so I don't have to drag the big awkward changing bag everywhere when I'm just popping out for a walk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the out n about too.
    I have had mine 4 years and 5 kids and it is still going strong.
    I have heard great things about the baby joggers too.

Thanks all! Ordered the baby jogger city mini today in black, should be here by Monday so can't wait to use it! :)

THANK YOU LADIES!!! A courier arrived at our door this morning and said he'd see if we were in this morning given he had other deliveries locally and he came with the Baby Jogger!!! I love it. I mean really love it, as does Mr. Merkin - the main reason being we took junior out in it today and he was delighted with himself! We went out for lunch today and had a walk through town and the little fellow is a bit off colour with his teeth but we put him in it and he was just beaming like he'd had his own little pope mobile commissioned, beaming at his public :D It's quite high so he can sit really upright in it which he just loves and it's so easy to manoeuvre and fold away! It glides but still feels substantial and sturdy. It's probably a bit premature to be quite so enamoured with it but so far I really think it's wonderful and want to thank you again!xx

Advertisement