Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Paedophile Next Door

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This idea of it being a mental illness is a fallacy too. The aincent Greeks were advocates of pedophilia and are regualrlay regarded as the first democratci society.
    Well, that's not really true. What they sometimes practiced was homosexual pederasty, which is post-pubescent and had fairly misogynistic roots. It was also not universally accepted amongst all Greeks (some city states more than others) and had it's detractors, including Plato, if I remember correctly.
    Grayson wrote: »
    That whole age gap thing seems to work well in other countries. It doesn't criminalise a 17 year old that sleeps with a 16 year old. In a case like that the age difference could be a couple of months yet the 17 year old is committing a crime.
    Well let's not start pretending that Irish law on this topic is anything other than retarded; if a 13-year old boy has sex with his 14-year old girlfriend he can go to jail, while she cannot be prosecuted [1]. Or that oral sex is legal at fifteen as only penetrative sex is illegal before 17.

[1] I remember a thread somewhere on Boards, some time ago where a guy was being blackmailed with prosecution by the mother of their child, because she'd fallen pregnant at something like fifteen, despite the fact they were the same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, that's not really true. What they sometimes practiced was homosexual pederasty, which is post-pubescent and had fairly misogynistic roots. It was also not universally accepted amongst all Greeks (some city states more than others) and had it's detractors, including Plato, if I remember correctly.

Fair point, but what was practiced and (in the states that adovcated it) would certainly be classed as pedophilia and result in child abuse cases today.

My point though, is: in order for it to be a mental illness, if needs a medical diagnosis, not a societal one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...My point though, is: in order for it to be a mental illness, if needs a medical diagnosis, not a societal one.

Perchance it should be regarded as more of a personality disorder than a mental illness per sé, and hence diagnosed by something like the Hare Test for psychopathy/APD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jimgoose wrote: »
    Perchance it should be regarded as more of a personality disorder than a mental illness per sé, and hence diagnosed by something like the Hare Test for psychopathy/APD?

Not knowing much about the test, but that would just seem to indicate whether someone is or is not likely to have the perceived personality of a pedophile. It doesn't do anything to define the term or resolve the problem.

It's also said that a mental disorder can be simply discribed as being in the minority of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Not knowing much about the test, but that would just seem to indicate whether someone is or is not likely to have the perceived personality of a pedophile. It doesn't do anything to define the term or resolve the problem.

It's also said that a mental disorder can be simply discribed as being in the minority of one.

Defining the term doesn't resolve the problem either. Some disorders, psychopathy being one, can't really be defined accurately outside of a set of symptoms. I just personally think it would be useful to have some sort of system in place where people can become aware of the condition and seek help before they hurt someone. It would be no harm if violent psychopaths did the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Being attracted to kids is enough to warrant removal from society.

So bring in the thought police ? Really ?

Fair point, but what was practiced and (in the states that adovcated it) would certainly be classed as pedophilia and result in child abuse cases today.
    Only by illiterates. Problem is that such is the hysteria surrounding this topic that there seems to be little understanding of even basic definitions. So the Greeks would have practiced sexual relations with post-pubescent boy, which cannot be pedophilia by definition, but may be popularly regarded as such by the uneducated, hysterical masses. You may not think this a big deal, but such ignorance can lead to very negative consequences too.

Actually, I'm surprised no one has brought this guy into the discussion:

My point though, is: in order for it to be a mental illness, if needs a medical diagnosis, not a societal one.
    Doesn't work like that in the World of psychology and psychiatry though. The whole field is social science that seems rife with political and social influences rather than scientific ones determining diagnosis. Look at how the diagnosis of homosexuality has changed over the decades; from mental illness, to paraphilia to orientation. It was ultimately societal changes (and lobbying) that brought this about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

floggg wrote: »
    Trust me, the greater public good isn't being served by punishing (never mind executing as you appear to suggest) somebody who hasn't committed and doesnt intend to commit any crime whatsoever.

Let me ask you a genuine question ........... if you had children (maybe you do already) and you knew someone who confesses to being a paedophile (or has urges/fantasies) but has never acted on those urges and absolutely swears they never will, would you let that individual babysit your children?
    I'm not talking about a stranger here either, I mean somebody close to you ......... perhaps a brother or close family friend .......... would you be confident enough in their abilities to control themselves to allow them to babysit for you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think that a significant number of paedophiles aren't simply 'attracted' to children. They are attracted to the power and control that comes with abusing a young victim. Putting themselves in a position to have access to children, grooming, threatening and often using violence. Those aren't the actions of a normal empathetic person who simply has an unwanted sexual orientation. They are the actions of a psychopath. I don't think these type of people are likely to come forward for help and if they do it will be only after they are caught and acting remorseful.

For others that don't want to abuse anyone then there should be some form of help available. I just don't know if it will make much difference to the abuse stats though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Let me ask you a genuine question ........... if you had children (maybe you do already) and you knew someone who confesses to being a paedophile (or has urges/fantasies) but has never acted on those urges and absolutely swears they never will, would you let that individual babysit your children?
    I'm not talking about a stranger here either, I mean somebody close to you ......... perhaps a brother or close family friend .......... would you be confident enough in their abilities to control themselves to allow them to babysit for you??
    Is there any evidence that suggests these people have some uncontrollable urges? I don't think so.

If I'm in a room with a bunch of women I'm not going to rape them as I'm not a rapist. I would assume the same can be said for these folk unless there is evidence to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Defining the term doesn't resolve the problem either. Some disorders, psychopathy being one, can't really be defined accurately outside of a set of symptoms. I just personally think it would be useful to have some sort of system in place where people can become aware of the condition and seek help before they hurt someone. It would be no harm if violent psychopaths did the same.

I think most pedophiles are aware of it.

But mis-defining it as a mental illness when it isn't is definitely going to be counter-productive.

Holsten wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that suggests these people have some uncontrollable urges? I don't think so.

If I'm in a room with a bunch of women I'm not going to rape them as I'm not a rapist. I would assume the same can be said for these folk unless there is evidence to suggest otherwise.

The suggestion by some appalling people is that we should jail, people for what they 'might' do ... where does that lead to ? Why stop at paedophiles ? What about jailing people who dream of killing people they don't like ? of stealing money from a bank ? or breaking into the big house and stealing their jewellery ? or punching Gerry Adams in the nose ? Do we jail all of those people too ?

So you definitely would have no hesitation in allowing him/her to babysit one of your children???

Only by illiterates. Problem is that such is the hysteria surrounding this topic that there seems to be little understanding of even basic definitions. So the Greeks would have practiced sexual relations with post-pubescent boy, which cannot be pedophilia by definition, but may be popularly regarded as such by the uneducated, hysterical masses. You may not think this a big deal, but such ignorance can lead to very negative consequences too.

Actually, I'm surprised no one has brought this guy into the discussion:

Doesn't work like that in the World of psychology and psychiatry though. The whole field is social science that seems rife with political and social influences rather than scientific ones determining diagnosis. Look at how the diagnosis of homosexuality has changed over the decades; from mental illness, to paraphilia to orientation. It was ultimately societal changes (and lobbying) that brought this about.

Again, I'm not saying it was a psoitive factor of the society.

I;d also argue that, in the case you mention above, it was society that labeled homosexuality a mental illness in the first place; and that more understanding and research led to it being caterogised more corerctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

According to the program, 1 in 6 kids in the UK are abused. Is that not evidence that they have trouble controlling their urges?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    According to the program, 1 in 6 kids in the UK are abused. Is that not evidence that they have trouble controlling their urges?

Well, this depends on what percentage of the population is abusng and not abusing.

What study are we talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not easy to listen to someone say they are attracted to 4 and 5 year olds, that guy was very stupid to come on TV and say things like that.

He is leaving himself open to losing friends and family and could well be the victim of a physical assault now that people know who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does it say 1 in 6 kids are abused by adults? I would think it's as likely that a fair percentage of those abused are abused by other kids around the same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Seriously? What has that hypothetical got to do with not locking somebody up unless they actually commit a crime?

Bit of a non-sense red herring argument/Extraordinary leap in logic.

It's also one which can't be answered in a vacuum.

You also seem to be assuming that all people with an attraction to child are rapists. Many aren't I would imagine - in the same way just because other men are attracted to adult women they won't go out and rape them the first opportunity you got.

Ultimately the risk will depend on the persons involved. But in the same way you would probably trust your best friend not to rape your wife or 18 year old daughter if left alone with them, in sure there are pedophiles (are whatever other term is most appropriate) who can be trusted to exercise self control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How many are abused by people with a sexual interest in pre pubescent children though?

How many are abused by children themselves?

Is that all forms of abuse or just sexual?

Not everyone who abuses a child is a pedophile.

What exactly does this question mean ? Anyone you are not comfortable with babysitting a child should be criminalised ? You seem all over the place, if I may say.

It's only evidence that some people have trouble controlling their urges.

I'm sure there are equally shocking figures for the percentage of adult women who have been sexually assaulted in some shape - that doesn't mean that all men/lesbians have trouble controlling their urges though

I;d also argue that, in the case you mention above, it was society that labeled homosexuality a mental illness in the first place; and that more understanding and research led to it being caterogised more corerctly.
    How does that differ from pedophilia? [Cue the PC monkeys getting all upset]

Look at it coldly and objectively, and leave those 'truths' you instinctively 'know' to be true at the door for a moment. Pedophilia is seen as unnatural (there's no evolutionary point in mating with someone who cannot procreate yet) and immoral in the eyes of society. Same can be argued for homosexuality for the first and the second was once also the case. All that happened is the social aspect changed and in Western countries it's morally acceptable. Go to Africa and you'll find you'll get the same instinctive revulsion to homosexuality as you would here to pedophilia.

Even attitudes surrounding the age of consent are largely social; 12 used to be the age when girls used to marry, not so long ago, and boys were not much older. Now, we're horrified at such a concept. How come? Were we so wrong in the past, but know we finally have it right? I wonder how generations have said the same thing?

And you are placing far too much trust in the "more understanding and research" that we've gained on these things. There's a lot of politics involved in the World of psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

if you had children (maybe you do already) and you knew someone who confesses to being a paedophile (or has urges/fantasies) but has never acted on those urges and absolutely swears they never will, would you let that individual babysit your children?
    Being honest, I wouldn't.

But someone said the focus should be on helping children who were abused. Of course it should - I think pretty much everyone would agree with that. However, reaching out to people who feel sexual attraction towards children to attend a treatment programme, is not saying "God love the poor paedophiles" (although life must be utterly sh-t if you only fancy children and not adults and you're carrying this terrible secret) it's taking steps to reduce the chances of people going on to offend.
    That public service initiative of treatment for those with paedophilic urges in Germany (which was mentioned in the programme last night) is excellent. Certainly better than "If a person has paedophilic thoughts they should be killed", which I'm at a loss to understand how it could be enforced. It's not like they're going to say they have those urges!

Look at it coldly and objectively, and leave those 'truths' you instinctively 'know' to be true at the door for a moment. Pedophilia is seen as unnatural (there's no evolutionary point in mating with someone who cannot procreate yet) and immoral in the eyes of society. Same can be argued for homosexuality for the first and the second was once also the case. All that happened is the social aspect changed and in Western countries it's morally acceptable. Go to Africa and you'll find you'll get the same instinctive revulsion to homosexuality as you would here to pedophilia.

This is my point: are Africa coutries right if they define homosexuality as a mental illness?
    Even attitudes surrounding the age of consent are largely social; 12 used to be the age when girls used to marry, not so long ago, and boys were not much older. Now, we're horrified at such a concept. How come? Were we so wrong in the past, but know we finally have it right? I wonder how generations have said the same thing?

The question isn't so much what happened, the question is why? And again, why is pedophilia a mental illness now, but it wasn't back then? It either is or it isn't.
    And you are placing far too much trust in the "more understanding and research" that we've gained on these things. There's a lot of politics involved in the World of psychology.

Possibly so, but you want to solve this problem? At least define it first. Treating it as a mental illness when/if it isn't helps no one.

The difference really is that whereas somethign can be difined as a mental illness, a moral society is going to go down to opinion. Morality
    is decided upon by a certain type of beheviour, which can be dangerous, harmful or just unpleasant and, as you've said, times and societys change. But that doesn't mean the charaacteristic moves from being mentally sane to mentally ill or - and this is just as important - vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Yeah this is a particularly difficult topic to know what to do with.

Basically paedophilia, as far as I can tell, is seen as being in terms of acts, the lowest of the low in modern-day society. Even worse than rape, murder or animal abuse.

If I were to reveal to my family and friends that I was an alcoholic, had a gambling problem or suffered from extreme depression, I am fairly sure that other than perhaps one or two, the vast majority would be extremely supportive and offer to help me in many different ways.

Were I to reveal like Eddie that I was attracted to 4 and 5 year old children on the other hand, I can imagine the predominant reaction being one of pure disgust. I could see nearly all my friends shunning me and indeed a large part of my family would do the same. Even the ones that did not would find it hugely difficult to know what to do and it would be a serious trauma for them.

And still, as far as I know, all of the aforementioned issues are to do with chemical imbalances in the brain, which determine who exactly you are attracted to, what your weaknesses are and so on. So why is paedophilia so shocking to most?

I suppose in the case of alcoholism, gambling and depression, they are all extreme situations of emotions/desires we are all likely to have from time to time, many people like to drink and gamble, most people get depressed occasionally. But how many people are attracted to children? Not many you would think.

Mind you, it appears from this and other surveys I have read that the number of people who have paedophiliac tendencies is a lot higher than one might imagine. Essentially people are terrified of opening up about something like this through the fear of being completely ostracised from society. Which is why someone like Eddie should be applauded, he knows he has thse feelings which are wrong and potentially very damaging and wants to seek help for them. Although I like others was surprised that he agreed to be filmed without a disguise, the general public's view on something like this is still fairly neanderthal/limited and he could risk serious injury or worse if caught, especially in this age where the internet and technology means very little is secret for long.

The boundaries are blurred further again when we look at the exact definition of a paedophile. Is it someone who is sexually attracted to 'actual' children, I use actual here to mean those under the age of 10-12, when puberty has not been reached and no secondary sexual characteristics are present? Or rather should we include an attraction to those from say 13-16/17? Those in this category should correctly be termed ephebophiles rather than paedophiles of course. From my recollection of common law, the charges were much worse for those who committed offences on under 12s, but I'm sure there are many who argue that they are both as bad as each other.

Then of course we have the evolution of society. In the Middle Ages, lower life expectations meant that girls marrying grown men at 12 was perfectly acceptable, as was to get pregnant shortly afterwards. In comparatively recent times, we had Bill Wyman having a sexual relationship with Mandy Smith at 14 and Page 3 girls being seen as sexual objects to lust after from their 16th birthdays onwards. These would of course not be considered acceptable any more, but it is interesting to look back how things have changed.

Then of course, as many others have said, there is the paedophile/child abuser distinction. I for instance am very much attracted to two female friends who are in relationships. But much to my frustration sometimes :) I cannot go for them under normal circumstances because they are off bounds to me. But of course I attempt to go out with one of the countless adult single women out there. A paedophile, by the very definition of his attraction, has no situations where some of their fancies are unavailable and others are not, no, ALL are unavailable under law. And to go against this would make him or her a child abuser plain and simple. You cannot even compare it to someone with a disability or who has severe difficulty with the opposite sex, because there are always options, such as legal prostitution. Without wanting to fall into the trap of feeling sympathy for child abusers, (I have no children but I think that if I had and I found out that they were being abused in some way, I would be absolutely seething with rage), but it must be a strange situation for them.

I did read keenly the reactions to the programme and I was glad to see that most people did seem to be fairly positive about Eddie and others like him. This gives me some hope that society is changing slightly from the mob mentality of 10-15 years ago and that quite possibly in the future the best way to protect our children is to learn as much as we can about it and attempt to treat it as best we can. This is especially relevant to those who are willing to have the courage to admit they have a problem in this area but do not want this to harm innocent children.

Seriously? What has that hypothetical got to do with not locking somebody up unless they actually commit a crime?

Bit of a non-sense red herring argument/Extraordinary leap in logic.

It's also one which can't be answered in a vacuum.

You also seem to be assuming that all people with an attraction to child are rapists. Many aren't I would imagine - in the same way just because other men are attracted to adult women they won't go out and rape them the first opportunity you got.

Ultimately the risk will depend on the persons involved. But in the same way you would probably trust your best friend not to rape your wife or 18 year old daughter if left alone with them, in sure there are pedophiles (are whatever other term is most appropriate) who can be trusted to exercise self control.

I'm not sure if that's a yes or a no? :confused:

Well if you had answered no based solely on the fact that the proposed babysitter had admitted to you that he/she was a paedophile but had never and would never actually act out on his/her urges then you would in essence be punishing him/her for something he/she hasn't done ........ yet.
    Or would you (hypothetically) take the risk???

If an individual is sexually attracted to children there is a high risk of that individual raping a child in order to relieve sexual frustration ......... whereas men who are attracted to adult women have a much higher chance of relieving themselves sexually with an adult woman without resorting to anything illegal.

That's my question .......... would you consider the risk to be higher of your child being raped by an individual who is sexually attracted to children (even though said individual has never acted out on his/her desires) than somebody who is only attracted to other adults?
    If my best friend told me that he had fantasies of raping women then no I would not trust him to be alone with my wife or daughter ........ obviously.
    Are you sure enough that a paedophile can be trusted to exercise self control that you would leave him/her alone with your child???

It's all very well people saying "give them a chance" and "help them rather than punish them" etc. but would any of these same people be willing to put their own child in harm's way???
    I doubt it .......... it's total hypocrisy.

Being honest, I wouldn't.

But someone said the focus should be on helping children who were abused. Of course it should - I think pretty much everyone would agree with that. However, reaching out to people who feel sexual attraction towards children to attend a treatment programme, is not saying "God love the poor paedophiles" (although life must be utterly sh-t if you only fancy children and not adults and you're carrying this terrible secret) it's taking steps to reduce the chances of people going on to offend.
    That public service initiative of treatment for those with paedophilic urges in Germany (which was mentioned in the programme last night) is excellent. Certainly better than "If a person has paedophilic thoughts they should be killed", which I'm at a loss to understand how it could be enforced. It's not like they're going to say they have those urges!

I totally agree, I would definitely encourage any paedophile to come forward and seek help before he/she rapes a child ........ however from that point on the paedophile would then need to be closely monitored and restricted from going to certain areas etc which in itself is a form of punishment for a crime they have not (and may never) commit .......... but some people here feel that any punishment is unjust, I don't.
    I don't subscribe to the "let them rape a child and then punish them" idea ........ if there are warning signs then we, as a society, must act on those warning signs in some way in order to prevent the crime ever taking place ........ a paedophile saying "I promise I'll never rape a child" is just not good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It's all very well people saying "give them a chance" and "help them rather than punish them" etc. but would any of these same people be willing to put their own child in harm's way???

I won't answer your question as I have no children and I think can't answer it without that bias..

but tbf, people here aren't saying not to be careful, they're saying that pedophiles attraction doesn't make them bad people.

If a friend tells you they're attracted to children, you don't have to hate them or punish them, you can simply say " I understand you feel you won't hurt my child, but you understand that I can't take that risk?".. You don't have to ban them from your life..or treat them differently. I know plenty of people I would not consider safe to mind kids. (not for abuse, but likely hood of neglect). But that doesn't mean they can't have contact with them.

A person with borderline personality disorder can become etremely violent, and anyone dealing with them, knows you have to watch them carefully, if they get into a rage, you could get hurt.
    That doesn't mean it's likely, but if you work with them, you keep a watch for it, just in case.

50% of schizophrenics, never believe they are schizophrenic, does that make them bad people? no.... would you be able to trust them? not really. (not necessarily for danger, but simply as will they take their meds daily..etc)

Point of all this is, not trusting someone, and taking precautions, ie..preventing a pedophile from being a teacher/childminder, is not the same, as wanting to lob their balls off.

(I'm not getting into the fact, that I'm sure there are MANY pedophiles who are teachers/childminders/is around kids alot, because they have a great love for children, they may get on very well with children..but that love, also means not wanting to hurt them. And if they are emphatic human beings they will never take advantage of children..but this is a slightly different argument from what I've wrote above.)

I want to add actually, that I don't think someone who has attraction to children is immediately a danger to children. I think someone who believes a child can consent or a child can reciprocate love or not be harmed by the activity..to be a danger.
    The former is simply attracted, but know it can never and will never be reciprocated. the latter, thinks that in some cases it may be, the latter is clearly a danger. The former, I feel pity for.

That's an interesting idea .......... I have a friend who believes that homosexuals and paedophiles are born with a genetic flaw which has affected their sexual orientation.
    His theory is that homosexuality cannot be natural as it defies the very purpose of sex ........... however the percentage of humans born with this genetic flaw is so minute that it can't have any effect on the human race thriving so is basically harmless ........... "there's no cure for their disease and they're happy get it on with each other so what's the harm" are the words he used.
    Now when it comes to paedophiles he feels they are almost identical to homosexuals except for the vital part of having sex with children ........ "I feel sorry for them, it's not their fault they were born that way ........ but if one ever came near my child I'd bury him head first!!"

Now I expected him to be lambasted by the people listening to his views (we were at a party) but surprisingly he wasn't ........... or maybe it's not that surprising

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that's a yes or a no? :confused:

Well if you had answered no based solely on the fact that the proposed babysitter had admitted to you that he/she was a paedophile but had never and would never actually act out on his/her urges then you would in essence be punishing him/her for something he/she hasn't done ........ yet.
    Or would you (hypothetically) take the risk???

Dear god, no its not. Nobody has a right to be a baby sitter. You wouldn't be taken anything away from them by choosing another baby sitter. and you have no obligation to let anybody mind your kids.

are you punishing the homeless heroin addict who begs around the corner by not leaving your kids with him for the day?

If an individual is sexually attracted to children there is a high risk of that individual raping a child in order to relieve sexual frustration ......... whereas men who are attracted to adult women have a much higher chance of relieving themselves sexually with an adult woman without resorting to anything illegal.

Really? Please show me the statistics on this? I am sure you will be able to point to statistics showing the number of people who have attractions to children, and what percentage of that group offends.

That's my question .......... would you consider the risk to be higher of your child being raped by an individual who is sexually attracted to children (even though said individual has never acted out on his/her desires) than somebody who is only attracted to other adults?
    If my best friend told me that he had fantasies of raping women then no I would not trust him to be alone with my wife or daughter ........ obviously.
    Are you sure enough that a paedophile can be trusted to exercise self control that you would leave him/her alone with your child???

I am not sure that all peadophiles can be trusted - but i wanted leave my kids with every self professed peadophile i meet. some definitely can't, some probably can. I would only leave my kids with somebody i knew and trusted. how can i say if i would ever trust somebody without meeting them or knowing them?

But in any event, there is no hypocrisy in my position. i am saying somebody with these attractions who hasnt offended and seeks help should not be punished or criminalised for merely having these attractions and should be offered whatever treatment can be given to help them deal with their attractions and ensure they don't offend.

there is nothing in that position which says we should hand them out free babies or give them childcare jobs.

i believe that we are better giving a drug addict treatment instead of jail. that doesn't mean i think we should hand them jobs in a pharmacy.

this really is a ridiculous straw man argument.

Also these numbers are notoriously exaggerated coming from campaign groups who always push to get as high a number as they possibly can get.

I totally agree, I would definitely encourage any paedophile to come forward and seek help before he/she rapes a child ........ however from that point on the paedophile would then need to be closely monitored and restricted from going to certain areas etc which in itself is a form of punishment for a crime they have not (and may never) commit .......... but some people here feel that any punishment is unjust, I don't.
    I don't subscribe to the "let them rape a child and then punish them" idea ........ if there are warning signs then we, as a society, must act on those warning signs in some way in order to prevent the crime ever taking place ........ a paedophile saying "I promise I'll never rape a child" is just not good enough for me.

Tell me, ignoring the moral/ethical implications of imposing a form of criminal sanctions on somebody who has never committed any crime, if we are going to effectively put them on a sex offenders list just for coming forward and asking for help, why would anybody ever come forward?

And if nobody comes forward and gets help, whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

a paedophile saying "I promise I'll never rape a child" is just not good enough for me.

I can not see why not. They merely have an attraction. That says nothing about what actions they may ever commit. Attraction is not some uncontrollable urge you can do nothing about.

Think of every day relationships. Do you think men and women suddenly just STOP being attracted to other people? By magic? No. They still have attraction and in entering a relationship they say "I promise I will never sleep with another person but you". And we trust that. And most people, by far, stick to it.

I think what is happening here is people are conflating mere attraction with some kind of uncontrollable lust rage and merely by having that attraction they are somehow liable to engage in rape and horror, or more likely to do so than anyone else with any other kind of attraction. I am attracted to women myself. Sometimes heavily and powerfully so. Am I a rape risk merely for having attraction to them?? No, I am a happily dedicated man in a relationship and I practice full and constant fidelity to that person. My attractions are real but that is it. No more.

There is a chasm between having an attraction and acting on it, let alone acting on it against ones better judgement, morals, laws and more in a way that actively and horrifically harms another human being. Hell even most of the people who get off on rape or the idea of rape or stories of rape are not people who would actively ever even consider actually engaging in one. The idea of in any way constraining the freedoms of ANYONE who stands up and says "Yeah I have this attraction, I do not want it, can I be helped?" is ridiculous because A) It is simply going to prevent them from ever coming forward and B) They kind of person you hope to stop by implementing such a ludicrous proposition are not even going to be the ones honest enough to come forward anyway.

I am not sure that all peadophiles can be trusted - but i wanted leave my kids with every self professed peadophile i meet. some definitely can't, some probably can. I would only leave my kids with somebody i knew and trusted. how can i say if i would ever trust somebody without meeting them or knowing them?

But in any event, there is no hypocrisy in my position. i am saying somebody with these attractions who hasnt offended and seeks help should not be punished or criminalised for merely having these attractions and should be offered whatever treatment can be given to help them deal with their attractions and ensure they don't offend.

there is nothing in that position which says we should hand them out free babies or give them childcare jobs.

i believe that we are better giving a drug addict treatment instead of jail. that doesn't mean i think we should hand them jobs in a pharmacy.

this really is a ridiculous straw man argument.

Dear god, no its not. Nobody has a right to be a baby sitter. You wouldn't be taken anything away from them by choosing another baby sitter. and you have no obligation to let anybody mind your kids.

are you punishing the homeless heroin addict who begs around the corner by not leaving your kids with him for the day?

If you were to reject them based solely on the fact they are a paedophile then you are indeed punishing them for admitting to being a paedophile .........

Just like I would be punishing the homeless heroin addict by refusing to allow him have my kids for the day ........ I'm saying "you might be a nice person and you may not harm my children but I'm judging you on the fact that you use heroin so I do not trust you!"

Really? Please show me the statistics on this? I am sure you will be able to point to statistics showing the number of people who have attractions to children, and what percentage of that group offends.

No I can't .... be bothered .... I just use common sense :rolleyes:

If Interpol and the FBI can only guess at how many active paedophiles there are preying on children throughout the world then how the f*** am I supposed to know!!! :D

I won't answer your question as I have no children and I think can't answer it without that bias..

but tbf, people here aren't saying not to be careful, they're saying that pedophiles attraction doesn't make them bad people.

If a friend tells you they're attracted to children, you don't have to hate them or punish them, you can simply say " I understand you feel you won't hurt my child, but you understand that I can't take that risk?".. You don't have to ban them from your life..or treat them differently. I know plenty of people I would not consider safe to mind kids. (not for abuse, but likely hood of neglect). But that doesn't mean they can't have contact with them.

A person with borderline personality disorder can become etremely violent, and anyone dealing with them, knows you have to watch them carefully, if they get into a rage, you could get hurt.
    That doesn't mean it's likely, but if you work with them, you keep a watch for it, just in case.

50% of schizophrenics, never believe they are schizophrenic, does that make them bad people? no.... would you be able to trust them? not really. (not necessarily for danger, but simply as will they take their meds daily..etc)

Point of all this is, not trusting someone, and taking precautions, ie..preventing a pedophile from being a teacher/childminder, is not the same, as wanting to lob their balls off.

(I'm not getting into the fact, that I'm sure there are MANY pedophiles who are teachers/childminders/is around kids alot, because they have a great love for children, they may get on very well with children..but that love, also means not wanting to hurt them. And if they are emphatic human beings they will never take advantage of children..but this is a slightly different argument from what I've wrote above.)

I want to add actually, that I don't think someone who has attraction to children is immediately a danger to children. I think someone who believes a child can consent or a child can reciprocate love or not be harmed by the activity..to be a danger.
    The former is simply attracted, but know it can never and will never be reciprocated. the latter, thinks that in some cases it may be, the latter is clearly a danger. The former, I feel pity for.

I agree with most of this post ........... however I want to clarify something .......... are you saying that some paedophiles take jobs as teachers/childminders etc. because they have a great "love" of children and want to be around them but would never dream of hurting a child???
    Or am I reading that wrong :confused:

Tell me, ignoring the moral/ethical implications of imposing a form of criminal sanctions on somebody who has never committed any crime, if we are going to effectively put them on a sex offenders list just for coming forward and asking for help, why would anybody ever come forward?

And if nobody comes forward and gets help, whats the point?

Well if they genuinely wanted help to make sure they never actually rape a child then they should welcome being monitored, boundaries set, restricted access etc. as a safeguard for when/if they ever have a moment of weakness or temptation.

Well if they genuinely wanted help to make sure they never actually rape a child then they should welcome being monitored, boundaries set, restricted access etc. as a safeguard for when/if they ever have a moment of weakness or temptation.

I am strongly attracted to women myself. Should I consent to being monitored and have restricted freedoms just in case I ever have a moment of weakness and temptation? A safeguard you know, just in case?

I can not see why not. They merely have an attraction. That says nothing about what actions they may ever commit. Attraction is not some uncontrollable urge you can do nothing about.

Think of every day relationships. Do you think men and women suddenly just STOP being attracted to other people? By magic? No. They still have attraction and in entering a relationship they say "I promise I will never sleep with another person but you". And we trust that. And most people, by far, stick to it.

I think what is happening here is people are conflating mere attraction with some kind of uncontrollable lust rage and merely by having that attraction they are somehow liable to engage in rape and horror, or more likely to do so than anyone else with any other kind of attraction. I am attracted to women myself. Sometimes heavily and powerfully so. Am I a rape risk merely for having attraction to them?? No, I am a happily dedicated man in a relationship and I practice full and constant fidelity to that person. My attractions are real but that is it. No more.

There is a chasm between having an attraction and acting on it, let alone acting on it against ones better judgement, morals, laws and more in a way that actively and horrifically harms another human being. Hell even most of the people who get off on rape or the idea of rape or stories of rape are not people who would actively ever even consider actually engaging in one. The idea of in any way constraining the freedoms of ANYONE who stands up and says "Yeah I have this attraction, I do not want it, can I be helped?" is ridiculous because A) It is simply going to prevent them from ever coming forward and B) They kind of person you hope to stop by implementing such a ludicrous proposition are not even going to be the ones honest enough to come forward anyway.

I said it's not good enough for me .......... so you'd happily trust a paedophile alone with your child if he promises you he won't rape your child???

I don't think we can realistically compare grown men and women who are sexually attracted to each other to paedophiles ........ can we? :confused:

I can't imagine how sexually frustrated I would get if I could never ever relieve my sexual urges with another person ......... for the rest of my life!!! :eek:

I am strongly attracted to women myself. Should I consent to being monitored and have restricted freedoms just in case I ever have a moment of weakness and temptation? A safeguard you know, just in case?

And I'm sure you've had plenty of consensual sex with women throughout your adult life and are probably looking forward to the next time you have sex? ;)

You dirty divil!! :D

Don't think you're a danger to women ......... unless you're coming forward seeking help because you think you might be????

• Advertisement

I said it's not good enough for me .......... so you'd happily trust a paedophile alone with your child if he promises you he won't rape your child???

I trust men alone with my partner, and I do not even seek promises off them. But I do not base my choice of who I leave my child with on their sexual attractions. I base it on an ALL inclusive knowledge and trust of that person as a whole. My choice is based on trusting them, not their sexual orientation. And there are men in my life right now who I know so well, and know that their ability to hurt another human being is so low, that if they admitted to me tomorrow they were sexually attracted to children, it would impact my trust of them alone with my child not one single iota. Because, as I keep pointing out, attraction alone is not what makes the person. It is a package deal.
    I don't think we can realistically compare grown men and women who are sexually attracted to each other to paedophiles ........ can we?

Why not? All we are comparing is who or what they are attracted to. My being attracted to women makes me no more (or less) inclined to actually rape one than someone being attracted to children makes them any more (or less) inclined to do so.

You are conflating attraction with propensity to rape or abuse and your line above makes it clear you realize this is ridiculous in just about every other context. It is similar to the whole "get your ass against the wall" response people used to give to homosexuality when I was on the school yard. As if a male merely having an attraction to other males suddenly makes him more likely to suddenly bend you over and start pounding away.

I trust men alone with my partner, and I do not even seek promises off them. But I do not base my choice of who I leave my child with on their sexual attractions. I base it on an ALL inclusive knowledge and trust of that person as a whole. My choice is based on trusting them, not their sexual orientation. And there are men in my life right now who I know so well, and know that their ability to hurt another human being is so low, that if they admitted to me tomorrow they were sexually attracted to children, it would impact my trust of them alone with my child not one single iota. Because, as I keep pointing out, attraction alone is not what makes the person. It is a package deal.

Why not? All we are comparing is who or what they are attracted to. My being attracted to women makes me no more (or less) inclined to actually rape one than someone being attracted to children makes them any more (or less) inclined to do so.

You are conflating attraction with propensity to rape or abuse and your line above makes it clear you realize this is ridiculous in just about every other context. It is similar to the whole "get your ass against the wall" response people used to give to homosexuality when I was on the school yard. As if a male merely having an attraction to other males suddenly makes him more likely to suddenly bend you over and start pounding away.

The difference is men who are sexually attracted to women have options to satisfying their sexual urges with women ........... a paedophiles options involve children, maybe even your children.

The difference is men who are sexually attracted to women have options to satisfying their sexual urges with women ........... a paedophiles options involve children, maybe even your children.

That is assuming that paedophiles are exclusively attracted to children. I am not sure how many that is, we would have to find figures on it. But making that assumption is a bit like the assumption I hear about bisexuals often that you could never trust them in a monogamous relationship because they will need to cheat at some point to fulfil their desires for the OTHER sex.

It also assumes that their need to fulfil their desires will over come everything from their own moral systems to their own fear of legal and social retribution. Again I wonder at the numbers but hold no expectation they are anywhere near as high as required for you to carry your fears.

Neither of these assumptions is one I make. However I did mention early in the thread that one of the reasons that such people could and should be able to come forward is that curbing of desires and so forth has shown some positive results through the use of artificial pornography. While the ethics of this, were it shown to be strongly beneficial, can be debated... it certainly is promising.

As I said however it is a package deal. I only leave my children with people I trust. Period. And there are people I trust who I trust to be so incapable of ever hurting my children, that the mere discovery that they have sexual attraction to children would change my evaluation not one iota. In the same way as my horniest male friend, someone I also trust, I would happily leave alone with my partner with lines like "Hey dude, she is totally and completely out of it drunk and I have to go do X for reason Y, would you stay here alone with her and look after her" with absolutely zero expectation that he is gonna view her as unconscious and defenceless sex meat.

I agree with most of this post ........... however I want to clarify something .......... are you saying that some paedophiles take jobs as teachers/childminders etc. because they have a great "love" of children and want to be around them but would never dream of hurting a child???
    Or am I reading that wrong :confused:

The thing about your question is that to a massive degree we don't know. We only know about the criminal paedophiles, men and women, who do these things as a means to a criminal end. But we have no idea about non criminal paedophile people.

That is assuming that paedophiles are exclusively attracted to children. I am not sure how many that is, we would have to find figures on it. But making that assumption is a bit like the assumption I hear about bisexuals often that you could never trust them in a monogamous relationship because they will need to cheat at some point to fulfil their desires for the OTHER sex.

It also assumes that their need to fulfil their desires will over come everything from their own moral systems to their own fear of legal and social retribution. Again I wonder at the numbers but hold no expectation they are anywhere near as high as required for you to carry your fears.

Neither of these assumptions is one I make. However I did mention early in the thread that one of the reasons that such people could and should be able to come forward is that curbing of desires and so forth has shown some positive results through the use of artificial pornography. While the ethics of this, were it shown to be strongly beneficial, can be debated... it certainly is promising.

As I said however it is a package deal. I only leave my children with people I trust. Period. And there are people I trust who I trust to be so incapable of ever hurting my children, that the mere discovery that they have sexual attraction to children would change my evaluation not one iota. In the same way as my horniest male friend, someone I also trust, I would happily leave alone with my partner with lines like "Hey dude, she is totally and completely out of it drunk and I have to go do X for reason Y, would you stay here alone with her and look after her" with absolutely zero expectation that he is gonna view her as unconscious and defenceless sex meat.

Well then we'll we have to agree to disagree .......... I may trust a paedophile to pay me back money I loaned him or to keep an eye on my dog when I'm on holidays or call into my elderly mother now & again to check on her ........ but I absolutely don't trust him to be around my children .......... call me ole fashioned!!

Out of interest do you have children yourself?

And not just men.

I can't imagine how sexually frustrated I would get if I could never ever relieve my sexual urges with another person ......... for the rest of my life!!! :eek:

THAT is at the heart of this issue and why we should be spending a LOT more money researching this issue. It's not a new issue and has been part of humanity since the year dot, and involved women as well as men.

Well then we'll we have to agree to disagree

I would have thought that clear already without needing to make it explicit :)
    Out of interest do you have children yourself?

Did I not indicate as much in my last two posts? I have two. And as I said I view the whole package of a person and not just what their attractions may be. Simple fact is, in a society where these people CANT come forward.... people probably HAVE left their children with them and simply not known it.

I would have thought that clear already without needing to make it explicit :)

Did I not indicate as much in my last two posts? I have two. And as I said I view the whole package of a person and not just what their attractions may be. Simple fact is, in a society where these people CANT come forward.... people probably HAVE left their children with them and simply not known it.

I am genuinely shocked to know that you have children of your own and would allow them to be knowingly left alone with a "trusted" paedophile ........ we are miles apart on our thoughts regarding the safety of our children.

• Advertisement

I am genuinely shocked to know that you have children of your own and would allow them to be knowingly left alone with a "trusted" paedophile ........ we are miles apart on our thoughts regarding the safety of our children.

Nope we are just miles apart in how we evaluate your conflation of attraction and action, and how we select those we trust based on more than who or what they are attracted to. As I said, the people I WOULD leave my children with are trusted for a multitude of reasons. Few, if any, of which would be over ridden or negated by learning of a previously unknown sexual attraction. I have no suspicion whatsoever that there is any actual difference between us in our dedication to, or interest in, the safety of our children.

Advertisement