Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Fibre

• 24-11-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

They appear to be taking orders for it over the phone and launching it on Stephens Day December 26th?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Someone theorised that Sky don't want to pay the installations costs for VDSL/FTTC. Now that it's been 18 months (20th of May 2013) since Eircom launched eFibre, contracts are beginning to expire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

There'll be a serious exodus from UPC and the rest now.

Sky are the superior TV product and now they can offer fibre, it could be curtains for all the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Someone theorised that Sky don't want to pay the installations costs for VDSL/FTTC. Now that it's been 18 months (20th of May 2013) since Eircom launched eFibre, contracts are beginning to expire.

That was my pondering, bang on the mark there sky. Sneaky gits.

ED E wrote: »
    That was my pondering, bang on the mark there sky. Sneaky gits.

Lol

Eircom suckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Just got off the phone with them there now. We should be getting letters mid-December prior to to the Stephen's Day launch and they'll start processing orders then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Vodafone, O2 etc already don't pay for the in-house, it's a self install, modem goes to customer in the post, engineer works to his meter, does not get paid to touch modem

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There'll be a serious exodus from UPC and the rest now.

Sky are the superior TV product and now they can offer fibre, it could be curtains for all the others

Not really, this is just going to be reselling Eircoms VDSL/FTTC, it isn't real FTTH.

It will at best be 100mb/s which is half the speed UPC currently offer. I really doubt this will offer much more then you can currently get from Vodafone. Certainly Sky's ADSL offering was very poor and was just pure marketing lead and not really value for money.

Of course, UPC, Eircom and Vodafone will need to be careful and adjust their products according to this new competition, but I seriously doubt there will be a mass exodus!

UPC - They will probably need to increase speeds to put some distance between them and the VDSL companies. All UPC products need to have 20mb/s upload and the entry level needs to start at 100mb/s instead of 60mb/s. They also need to be careful of their pricing which is currently on the high end. But on the whole UPC are looking pretty safe.

Vodafone - Recently they have started charging people for going over their 300GB cap. That is a suicidal move in the fact of this new competition and they will need to cut it out and go back to be truly unlimited.

Always good to have fresh competition, but it is laughable if you think their is going to be a mass exodus to Sky's relatively poor products.

Have to disagree slightly. Im not a big one for TV but I've used eVision, UPC's regular DVR and Sky's sky+/+HD box and Sky's system is the best by a long long shot. To internet nerds like most of us on this subforum that seems minor but to a large portion of society that is a really big deal. The option of the best tv bundle and better than most people need BB will likely be very attractive. Though no, it wont be a mass exodus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

After the shocking experience I had with Sky's adsl offering I won't be part of the exodus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

jca wrote: »
    After the shocking experience I had with Sky's adsl offering I won't be part of the exodus.

I had a good experience with Sky's ADSL2+ product, their customer service was actually helpful.

Since moving to UPC though, there will be no going back for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have to disagree slightly. Im not a big one for TV but I've used eVision, UPC's regular DVR and Sky's sky+/+HD box and Sky's system is the best by a long long shot. To internet nerds like most of us on this subforum that seems minor but to a large portion of society that is a really big deal. The option of the best tv bundle and better than most people need BB will likely be very attractive. Though no, it wont be a mass exodus.

But Sky TV has been available for years, if people haven't already switched over to Sky TV, then I don't see why this would make much difference.

There is even nothing stopping anyone getting Broadband from UPC and TV from Sky and that has been the case for years now.

The reason people have UPC TV:
    - Live in apartment, can't put up a satellite dish
    - Don't want to put an "ugly" satellite on the side of the house
    - "Free" UPC analog multi-room (this is a big money saver and motivator here)
    - Couldn't be bothered moving from what they already know and been using for years.

This won't change any of these.

Also I have to say, that while Sky+ is slightly better then Horizon, Horizon is a vast improvement over the old UPC digital boxes and in some areas it even significantly surpasses Sky+ (streaming all channels to ipad, 4 tuners, etc.).

I think the gap in quality is small enough now that most people wouldn't be too bothered. While those of us here on this forum and the cable TV forum complain about Horizon box, what I find amongst my non techy family and friends is that they seem to be largely happy with Horizon and it just works for them for the most part.

Of course it could and should be improved and UPC need to be careful about their overall product pricing and positioning, I seriously doubt we will see an exodus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Am I the only one that isn't that bothered about the Sky interface?

Sure you have a few good things like Atlantic and red button but it's also an extra few hundred channels you'll never want to watch.

If my current UPC HD + box did the things it should do I'd never consider switching at all. Still doubt I would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

who ran all the fiber little of it is eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Big Whiskey

bk wrote: »
    But Sky TV has been available for years, if people haven't already switched over to Sky TV, then I don't see why this would make much difference.

There is even nothing stopping anyone getting Broadband from UPC and TV from Sky and that has been the case for years now.

The reason people have UPC TV:
    - Live in apartment, can't put up a satellite dish
    - Don't want to put an "ugly" satellite on the side of the house
    - "Free" UPC analog multi-room (this is a big money saver and motivator here)
    - Couldn't be bothered moving from what they already know and been using for years.

This won't change any of these.

Also I have to say, that while Sky+ is slightly better then Horizon, Horizon is a vast improvement over the old UPC digital boxes and in some areas it even significantly surpasses Sky+ (streaming all channels to ipad, 4 tuners, etc.).

I think the gap in quality is small enough now that most people wouldn't be too bothered. While those of us here on this forum and the cable TV forum complain about Horizon box, what I find amongst my non techy family and friends is that they seem to be largely happy with Horizon and it just works for them for the most part.

Of course it could and should be improved and UPC need to be careful about their overall product pricing and positioning, I seriously doubt we will see an exodus!

A lot of people would prefer the convenience of having all their services on the same account/same direct debit/only dealing with one company - with Sky now having fibre and already having the vastly superior TV product, this will be a no brainer for some people - while I accept UPC can offer close to 200mb, I would say a good 80% of people in this country would be happy with the 100mb Sky will offer.

More and more apartments have shared dishes now and this is increasing by the day - Sky's availability to apartments in the last 18 months has increased no end.

Dish size isn't what it was, it's now only slightly bigger than a regular dinner plate and while you might call it ugly, I know a lot of people who see it as a status thing

UPC have had a multiroom price hike while Sky have dropped their price to a tenner for a much better box.

So say the Sky+ box is only a 'slight' improvement on the UPC Horizon one is laughable. The UPC box has been absolutely dogged with problems and issues.

Sky have the superior On Demand service, the most Box Sets on offer in the entire world (even more than Net Flix and Amazon), Sky Go, Sky Go Extra allowing you to download and travel with content, Sky Atlantic etc etc.

There's just so much more Sky have to offer than UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Big Whiskey

Morf wrote: »
    Am I the only one that isn't that bothered about the Sky interface?

Sure you have a few good things like Atlantic and red button but it's also an extra few hundred channels you'll never want to watch.

If my current UPC HD + box did the things it should do I'd never consider switching at all. Still doubt I would.

I could probably list of 20 things it has going for it that's much better than UPC

I would say a good 80% of people in this country would be happy with the 100mb Sky will offer.

However you have to remember that it it "up to" 100mb/s. It can be as low as 7mb/s depending on distance, while with UPC you get exactly what you pay for (60/120/200).

So far Sky's entry to the Irish broadband market has been a joke. They entered the market saying that they were going to revolutionise things, in fact it was a pure marketing scam.

They sold it as being free or just €10, when in fact it was €30 or €40 including the required line rental and actually significantly more expensive then Vodafone DSL.

Then they had massive problems with loads of reports here on boards of people getting awful performance and little or not help from support. They clearly didn't have sufficient backhaul capacity on the Eircom bitstream connections.

And then they have dragged their feet on VDSL/FTTC for the last two years when everyone else has already moved on.

Frankly Sky broadband product has been a joke so far in Ireland. It isn't a good product and is basically sold off the back of heavy marketing and fooling their customers.

While I welcome the extra competition, I'm not at all convinced that things will be any different for them with VDSL/FTTC. And I don't see when people would be supporting a company that has done nothing for the Irish broadband market and is so slow to innovate compared to real companies making real investments (Eircom, UPC, ESB/Vodafone) and not just cheaply riding the coat tails of others.

Thing is, it is clear that TV is no longer the primary selling point and broadband has now become the primary driver, with TV being a nice to have add on. You can clearly see that in UPC's numbers, while TV subs are static or very lightly falling, broadband subs are up by a massive amount. UPC is now primarily a broadband company, not a TV company.

I'm one of those people, live in an apartment with a Sky shared dish and previously had a Sky sub. I cancelled my Sky sub and just have BB from UPC. I do almost all my TV watching ondemand online now, while being happy with the FTA sat channels for the odd time I want background noise. Sky TV sub is a total waste of money IMO and I'm seeing many family and friends think and doing the same.

I expect there will be some minor increase in churn rates, but certainly not an exodus, that is total hyperbole. I'd expect this to have a bigger effect on Eircom/Vodafone then UPC.

Looking at the wider European market, Sky are actually looking to be in a very weak position. Everyone else owns or will own their own network (UPC, Eircom, ESB/Vodafone), but Sky owns no network. UPC is actually the biggest broadband provider in Europe with cable network thoughout Europe, including Virgin Media in the UK. Sky just has it's increasingly irrelevant satellite TV network. Sky doesn't own a broadband network anywhere, it just resells on other peoples networks. That is a weak, low profit margin business!

Sky really isn't well positioned in the emerging internet lead market. If it wasn't for their sports rights, they wouldn't be a player at all and even that is being chipped away by BT, ESPN, etc.

At least it got them paying Vat here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bk wrote: »

Looking at the wider European market, Sky are actually looking to be in a very weak position. Everyone else owns or will own their own network (UPC, Eircom, ESB/Vodafone), but Sky owns no network. UPC is actually the biggest broadband provider in Europe with cable network thoughout Europe, including Virgin Media in the UK. Sky just has it's increasingly irrelevant satellite TV network. Sky doesn't own a broadband network anywhere, it just resells on other peoples networks. That is a weak, low profit margin business!

Sky really isn't well positioned in the emerging internet lead market. If it wasn't for their sports rights, they wouldn't be a player at all and even that is being chipped away by BT, ESPN, etc.

This while mostly correct isn't entirely correct, Sky are rolling out FTTH in York, yes its on a small scale but i think everyone is aware there is on going demand for faster and faster speeds, one would assume that a successful trial will kick Sky into gear and you will see a larger roll out of FTTH.

What does that mean for Ireland? Well in reality everyone (including eircom and probably UPC) will use the VF/ESB FTTH =, why wouldnt they? If someone else is shelling out cash for the infrastructure why would you? In reality there'll be little difference between the price the consumer pays no matter which operator they go with.

You can say that UPCs network is irrelevant for their TV too surely based on what you've said about their TV subs dwindling, method of delivery is irrelevant.

As one of the posters said above, a lot of people will be more than happy with Sky Fibre and Sky TV, the likelihood is if they can only get 10Mb from copper Fibre, they aint going to be getting anything from UPC

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If sky began offering fibre and I could get it then it'd be a no brainer for me to move to it. I can't get UPC broadband and despite there being an eircom fibre cabinet outside my apartment block for the last 7+ months there is no sign of it being enabled. The only thing stopping me switching my BB to them before this from vodafone was the lack of fibre offering and the belief that vodafone would be able to offer it soon.

Living inside the M50 in Dublin doesn't guarantee good broadband sadly, although I obviously have it better than many others so can't complain with my 13mb speeds too much. I'd like much better though and I'm fed up waiting for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Launching Stephens day? WTF is that all about?

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Launching Stephens day? WTF is that all about?

TV ads most likely. "STARTING TODAY, SKY SUPERFIBRE BROADBAND REVOLUTIONISES THE NATION....."

This while mostly correct isn't entirely correct, Sky are rolling out FTTH in York, yes its on a small scale but i think everyone is aware there is on going demand for faster and faster speeds, one would assume that a successful trial will kick Sky into gear and you will see a larger roll out of FTTH.

Interesting, but seems limited, certainly compared to the massive investments UPC and Vodafone have been making Europe wide.
    What does that mean for Ireland? Well in reality everyone (including eircom and probably UPC) will use the VF/ESB FTTH =, why wouldnt they? If someone else is shelling out cash for the infrastructure why would you? In reality there'll be little difference between the price the consumer pays no matter which operator they go with.

No, because you make far more money owning the infrastructure, then just being a low margin reseller on someone elses infrastructure.

In urban areas, Eircom will rollout their own FTTH product to directly compete with ESB/Vodafone FTTH

The ESB/Vodafone FTTH network won't be available to UPC, so it won't be a treat to them. UPC will rollout 1Gb/s speeds using DOCSIS 3.1 in the next 2 years and in the medium term will likely roll out their own FTTH network to their cable customers.

UPC might resell ESB FTTH in areas that they don't compete, in order to expand their market reach, but not sure about this, UPC seldom does this across europe.

In rural areas, yes you are likely to have only one FTTH network as deployed by the government NBP and yes, it is likely Eircom, Vodafone, etc. will resell on this.
    You can say that UPCs network is irrelevant for their TV too surely based on what you've said about their TV subs dwindling, method of delivery is irrelevant.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

UPC's network is relevant as it is now primarily a broadband delivery network and a superb one at that. TV is just one additional service they happen to sell ontop of this broadband network.

I think you fail to realise that UPC is now the largest broadband ISP in europe, with the most customers and its broadband infrastructure stretching across many countries.

Owning a broadband network (cable, FTTH, copper/VDSL) is what is important nowadays, a sat TV network is becoming largely irrelevant.
    As one of the posters said above, a lot of people will be more than happy with Sky Fibre and Sky TV, the likelihood is if they can only get 10Mb from copper Fibre, they aint going to be getting anything from UPC

And you would be wrong. UPC's network isn't effected by distance like VDSL. If you can get UPC cable broadband then you will definitely get 200mb/s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Interesting, but seems limited, certainly compared to the massive investments UPC and Vodafone have been making Europe wide.

Agreed, but but even the biggest network operators started off with a trial somewhere, Eircoms current FTTC iirc started with a Waterford trial?
    No, because you make far more money owning the infrastructure, then just being a low margin reseller on someone elses infrastructure.

In urban areas, Eircom will rollout their own FTTH product to directly compete with ESB/Vodafone FTTH

The ESB/Vodafone FTTH network won't be available to UPC, so it won't be a treat to them. UPC will rollout 1Gb/s speeds using DOCSIS 3.1 in the next 2 years and in the medium term will likely roll out their own FTTH network to their cable customers.

UPC might resell ESB FTTH in areas that they don't compete, in order to expand their market reach, but not sure about this, UPC seldom does this across europe.

In rural areas, yes you are likely to have only one FTTH network as deployed by the government NBP and yes, it is likely Eircom, Vodafone, etc. will resell on this.

Sky dont need margin on BB, their margin is on TV. BB is just another feather in the cap.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

UPC's network is relevant as it is now primarily a broadband delivery network and a superb one at that. TV is just one additional service they happen to sell ontop of this broadband network.

I think you fail to realise that UPC is now the largest broadband ISP in europe, with the most customers and its broadband infrastructure stretching across many countries.

Owning a broadband network (cable, FTTH, copper/VDSL) is what is important nowadays, a sat TV network is becoming largely irrelevant.

I would disagree, people want TV and BB and at this point people still want a TV service and skys TV offering is lightyears ahead of UPCs. If Sky can package both up into one bill with good speeds, people wont care.

fwiw i think Sky will definitely get to a point where they do have their own network, probably just in major cities and perhaps not even in Ireland but for the foreseeable future satellite is the delivery method, margin generator for them.
    And you would be wrong. UPC's network isn't effected by distance like VDSL. If you can get UPC cable broadband then you will definitely get 200mb/s

Sorry what i was getting at there, was that if you can only get a 10Mb VDSL fibre service then there's a pretty good chance you arent in range of UPCs cable.

Agreed, but but even the biggest network operators started off with a trial somewhere, Eircoms current FTTC iirc started with a Waterford trial?

Sure, but the difference is that, Eircom, UPC, etc. have a great deal of experience in running a major broadband network.

Sky have zero experience. The massive problems people here on boards had with Sky ADSL, would give me little fate in Sky's ability to run a broadband network.

Also this only applies to the UK, I'd say there is zero chance of them brining this to Ireland, not unless they buy Eircom.
    Sky dont need margin on BB, their margin is on TV. BB is just another feather in the cap.

For now, but the TV market in its current form is dying and the future is broadband networks and unless you own your own broadband network, then you will be in trouble.
    I would disagree, people want TV and BB and at this point people still want a TV service and skys TV offering is lightyears ahead of UPCs. If Sky can package both up into one bill with good speeds, people wont care.

"lightyears", it is a little better, but certainly not lightyears, again that is hyperbole.

Most people I know who have Horizon seem to be very happy with it. I don't see any of these people moving for a small improvement in the STB performance.

People are fundamentally slow to change and the gap just isn't that large any more.

If a person is already getting the phone, tv and broadband from UPC, I see few of them bothering to move which will cut their broadband speed in at least half, for a minor improvement in STB performance.

Sorry you are kidding yourself if you think there is going to be a mass exodus from UPC and you just don't understand how this market works.
    Sorry what i was getting at there, was that if you can only get a 10Mb VDSL fibre service then there's a pretty good chance you arent in range of UPCs cable.

Not true, I'm personally aware of friends who are far from the cab but can and do have 200mb/s from UPC.

Here is what I'm getting at, Sky are basically parasites, they bring little or nothing to the Irish Broadband market. Lets look at what the other companies have invested in Ireland:

- UPC 500million+ brining 200mb/s to 800,000 premises (about 40% of Ireland)

- Eircom, as a result of UPC, Eircom now have speend 500million+ brining upto 100mb/s VDSL to 1.6million premises (over 2/3rds of Irish homes. They are now likely to spend the same again brining FTTH to their customers.

- ESB/Vodafone going to spend 450million on the first phase of brining FTTH to 500,000 Irish premises.

Now what has Sky invested or done?

Answer, almost nothing, maybe less then 10 million on a call center, sales staff, some minor networking and lots of advertising.

I simply can't understand why anyone would be supporting a company like this coming to Ireland.

Good post, but i never said there would be a mass exodus of customers from UPC.

Yes i fully believe Skys launch will take some of UPCs customer base, how many? well thats finger in the air stuff tbh.

Also as i'm sure you're aware, when you dont have access to the core network equipment its hard to do effective troubleshooting. Any re-seller very quickly gets to a point where they have to tell the customer "we need to get eircom to take a look". I'm not sure this translates into "Sky would be useless at running their own network" Frankly i dont think Sky would ever go down that route in Ireland, the population isnt there.

Also i dont agree that its dying, I would say its evolving. You look at Skys offering its a mix of Sat delivered TV with BB related services. You dont need your own network for that, yeah its great to wrap it all up in one but not a necessity.

Also on the speed, you are missing my point again, i'm not talking about the speed drop of a UPC customer of distance from the cab

VDSL customer can only get 10mb
    Likley means they are not in a major urban area
    which likely means they arent in the boundary of the UPC footprint, so for them 10mb is fricking awesome

Also as i'm sure you're aware, when you dont have access to the core network equipment its hard to do effective troubleshooting. Any re-seller very quickly gets to a point where they have to tell the customer "we need to get eircom to take a look". I'm not sure this translates into "Sky would be useless at running their own network" Frankly i dont think Sky would ever go down that route in Ireland, the population isnt there.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Vodafone operating on Eircoms network. The truth is Sky were simply being cheap and they didn't buy and put in place enough backhaul to match the service they were marketing.
    Also on the speed, you are missing my point again, i'm not talking about the speed drop of a UPC customer of distance from the cab

VDSL customer can only get 10mb
    Likley means they are not in a major urban area
    which likely means they arent in the boundary of the UPC footprint, so for them 10mb is fricking awesome

No, I knew exactly what you meant. But what I was saying I know plenty of examples of people in urban areas (UPC footprint) who can only get low speeds from VDSL.

I really can't see UPC losing many customers to Sky and UPC are just as likely to gain customers from Sky.

I can see Sky having a much bigger impact on Eircom. In fact I believe most of the customers Sky will gain will be from Eircom rather then UPC.

The reason being, Sky only real advantage is that if you are already a Sky TV customer, you can save one bill, by moving from Eircom broadband + phone to Sky Broadband + phone + tv.

But that isn't true for UPC customers, they already have the convenience of a single phone + broadband + tv bill, so it isn't any more convenient for them, in fact it is a lot of hastle for them to move everything over and in return for this they lose up to as much as half their broadband speed by moving to a company who has a very bad track record of running broadband services.

I just don't see it happening from UPC in any significant numbers.

I'll make you a bet, €20, that UPC's broadband subs will continue to grow every quarter for the next year.

Id be in one of those areas BK mentions. Dense suburbia, 200Mb from UPC and 20-40Mb from UPC. In fact our premises still only supports 4Mb DSL due to excessive distance from the cab. Until network re-arrangement happens there will still be a lot of "dead spots" stuck on DSL services.

Yeah its possible they didnt, its likely they underestimated the number of customers that would so quickly switch to their DSL product. However every new entrant runs into the same issue, VF did and i have first hand experience.. my wife was heavily involved so i had to listen to her moan :pac:

Also i agree there are people within the UPC footprint who can get terrible VDSL speeds, but i would say in the majority of cases if you are getting terrible VDSL speeds you are outside of UPCs footprint.

I'm dont have a crystal ball, but i broadly agree with you, the impact will be greater on eircom than UPC but imho for the average punter once Sky start selling "fibre" they arent going to be that bothered with the speed, they'll see the word fibre and be hooked. That along with a better TV platform will see them pick up UPC customers.

We dont need to bet, im sure if your right you'll post.. if i'm right i'll post :pac:

Time will tell bk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/winners-and-losers-3-and-upc-are-up-as-vodafone-and-eircom-fall-30588688.html

There's no doubting the fact that Sky will poach customers from its competitors including UPC. Maybe there will be a mass exodus from some competitors initially. The thing is, the companies that have a network are much better placed to poach them back as can be seen by what Eircom did when UPC muscled in with BB, and UPC did when faced with sky muscling in. Personally speaking there is enough pie out there to be shared.

I'm dont have a crystal ball, but i broadly agree with you, the impact will be greater on eircom than UPC but imho for the average punter once Sky start selling "fibre" they arent going to be that bothered with the speed, they'll see the word fibre and be hooked. That along with a better TV platform will see them pick up UPC customers.

Sure, they will pick up some customers from UPC and UPC will pick some up from Sky (already happening with Sky customer contracts ending and many people unhappy with Sky not offering VDSL for the last two years moving over to UPC).

That is natural churn, the question is will there be any significant numbers move and when I hear people say "mass exodus" I really do have to laugh!

People were very excited when Sky first entered the market, but people were badly burned by sky, awful speeds, awful customer support, dodgy advertising, Sky dragging their feet on VDSL. People are much wiser about Sky now.

BK very bitter about Sky on this thread

Surprised? Sky are a marketing company, have little or no assets or infrastructure.

Me too:mad: Bloody muppets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jca wrote: »
    Me too:mad: Bloody muppets...

They are a disgrace the way they left people hanging for so long with the fibre carrot and their lack of acknowledging the serious issues they had last year for 2 months, at least eircom acknowledge their current issues pretty sharpish, switched to eircom months ago and once UPC move our way will likely head onto them, gonna be canceling our sky tv in the new year and i wont be looking back

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are a disgrace the way they left people hanging for so long with the fibre carrot and their lack of acknowledging the serious issues they had last year for 2 months, at least eircom acknowledge their current issues pretty sharpish, switched to eircom months ago and once UPC move our way will likely head onto them, gonna be canceling our sky tv in the new year and i wont be looking back

Never had an issue with their tv service in fairness it leaves upc's paltry tv service in the shade....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky TV > UPC TV

but....

UPC Broadband > Sky Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

Any pricing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

paulski999 wrote: »
    Any pricing?

More than likely the same as their current pricing so about €40 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Why so hate on sky broadband?
    They're just another eircom reseller.

I'm with them because they're cheapest, without giving more than a year contract and caps I'd go over (vodafone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Why so hate on sky broadband?
    They're just another eircom reseller.

I'm with them because they're cheapest, without giving more than a year contract and caps I'd go over (vodafone)

I was with them before and I thought they were good. They shook-up the ADSL market when they entered because I was paying €65 with Eircom before that and they offer truly unlimited broadband. Their hub is rubbish, though, and I agree that they need their own infrastructure because the internet is the future.

If Sky enter the VDSL market, I choose them over Vodafone any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Their hub is rubbish, though, and I agree that they need their own infrastructure because the internet is the future.

If Sky enter the VDSL market, I choose them over Vodafone any day.

true that, 100mbit wired and 54g wireless, i was deeply saddened by it, not saddened enough to use one of my own routers though, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

So what's the craic when they launch fibre? Will we get new/different hubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

They appear to be taking orders for it over the phone and launching it on Stephens Day December 26th?[/QUOTE

Where have Sky advertised Fibre BB ?

When do they hope to launch ?

What Speeds will they offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Why can't people read the entire thread ?

Why can't people use the quote function ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

going to be install fee's can't remember how much also activation fees might be one in the same. All kept under wraps in the mother ship till friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Sky fibre rollout is equivalent to a leak-proof public water supply, pure fantasy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

TV ads most likely. "STARTING TODAY, SKY SUPERFIBRE BROADBAND REVOLUTIONISES THE NATION....."

Not far off - it's going to be "SUPERFAST AND SUPERUNLIMITED SKY FIBRE" ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Nothing gets past you guys:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement