Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Fibre

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Sorry about the spelling errors

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

airuser wrote: »
    As far as I know it is similar to,what happen when they entered the market. It is self install with their router

No, that would only be for customers who already have VDSL and switch over from Eircom/Vodafone/Magnet/Digiweb

People who are currently on ADSL will require an engineer visit to install it.

This is a fundamental of all the VDSL services, Eircom needs to make sure that the wiring is up to date and quality.

I know in the UK OPENREACH/BT sent out engineers to install equipment.
    When SKY brought out the new modem/ router that was no longer required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know in the UK OPENREACH/BT sent out engineers to install equipment.
    When SKY brought out the new modem/ router that was no longer required.

That was due to a change in the rules by Openreach and it applied to all companies. Here in Ireland Eircom rightfully has higher standards and requires an engineer install.

There isn't anything special about Sky's modem, it can't magically make up for bad wiring.

http://youtu.be/INEdZ24KZGE

Have a look at this.

bk wrote: »
    That was due to a change in the rules by Openreach and it applied to all companies. Here in Ireland Eircom rightfully has higher standards and requires an engineer install.

There isn't anything special about Sky's modem, it can't magically make up for bad wiring.

Posted after your post. Will have wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Systems Details help
    Manufacturer Sky
    Model SR102
    Firmware Version 2.1r.3727.R

Wireless G only in my wireless options, maybe it's hidden for some random reason.

Sounds exactly like mine, some routers don't show N unless you select the right WPA key type, which I've already done, as I've kept the same key for years.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Unlimited-Lite-Connect-broadband/SR102-wireless-N/td-p/1905354
    Oh, I see. "Auto" will allow N, I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What about the big ass Vodafone fibre modem/router, does that have wireless N?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

One is only looking as the costs from Fibre. One must also look at the phone service.

I have a mobile and live alone in an apartment... last thing I need is a landline or a price hike.
    For 23 months, Sky would be cheaper. Vodafone is same for 24 months and cheaper onwards.

If you're like me where you change providers at the end of every contract, Sky Fibre is good news.

But not as cheap as vodafone ! Its €5 cheaper but with a 300gb cap. No one has brought price down, speeds up but no price down :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

mad muffin wrote: »

Yes, I'd be expecting dual band wireless 'ac' at this stage, 'n' is already old

• Advertisement

Yes, I'd be expecting dual band wireless 'ac' at this stage, 'n' is already old

I dare not hope for risk of being disappointed. :pac:

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I have a mobile and live alone in an apartment... last thing I need is a landline or a price hike.

I have family in both Canada and US and my phone package for these call is free.

But not as cheap as vodafone ! Its €5 cheaper but with a 300gb cap. No one has brought price down, speeds up but no price down :S

Agreed.

Cannot see that happen until one ISP drops their price by a substantially.

But on price little competition

Sorry mad muffin.

Put part of my reply into your post.

Can ring my family on mobiles in the States and Canada.

Their companies supply them with Free Mobile. Like you no need for LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

aindriu80 wrote: »

You're forgetting about the discounts. Vodafone may be €5 cheaper but Sky's discounts make them cheaper over a 12 month, an 18 month and 23 month period. It's only when you reach 24 months when Vodafone matches Sky's pricing.

Over a 12 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €516 unlimited
    Vodafone: €540 300GB
    Sky: €480 unlimited

Over an 18 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €834 unlimited
    Vodafone: €810 300GB
    Sky: €780 unlimited

Over a 24 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €1152 unlimited
    Vodafone: €1080 300GB
    Sky: €1080 unlimited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

mad muffin wrote: »

Yes Dual MiMo N in fact

You're forgetting about the discounts. Vodafone may be €5 cheaper but Sky's discounts make them cheaper over a 12 month, an 18 month and 23 month period. It's only when you reach 24 months when Vodafone matches Sky's pricing.

Over an 18 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €834 unlimited
    Vodafone: €810 300GB
    Sky: €780 unlimited

But that ignores Vodafones €35 per month product, which works out at €630 over 18 months, a €150 saving over Sky!

Of course this particular product from Vodafone doesn't include land line calls, but then I think that is what most people want. What with most people getting unlimited calls on their mobiles these days (from as little as €15 per month) and Skype, etc., few people want land lines any more. Cheap broadband is more important to most people IMO.

Honestly this is a very surprisingly poor offering from Sky, I'm really surprised it took them 2 years to bring out a product that is so relatively poor compared to the competition.

I'd also caution people to wait a month or two before locking themselves into long term contracts if they already have VDSL. You can be certain that Vodafone and Eircom will adjust their prices to meet this new competition.

In Vodafones case they just need to return to being truly unlimited and get rid of this 300GB AUP rubbish. They already kick Skys ass in pricing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wonder what version of the Sky Hub will be used as in England their Fibre is actually not as good as ours with no Vectoring and speeds of up to 76Mb only.

As far as I'm aware their Fibre Hub isn't Vectoring enabled so that means they'll have to have a special one just for us.

After using Vodafone's Modem with the built in USB port and only €40 a month I'll definitely be staying put.

Almost 2 years after everyone else and charging €50 for unlimited, Sky are a joke.

Just goes to show how out of touch they are with the Irish market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they use eircome fiber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Will there be installation fees with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

oh jaybus. another sky offer?

great. thats just great. they already ring me 2x per day. i have the number saved to my mobile so i can ignore since they refuse to take my name off the list...

I've been with Sky BB for the past 12 months, coming from Vodafone BB.

They offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

€40 credit

€10 off HD for 12 months

And promised speeds of around 14Mbs (Vodafone could only give me up to 7Mbs)

Of course I signed up. And got exactly what I was promised with speeds of around 13Mbs all day every day for around 90% of the time and I think only twice in those 12 months did my internet go. When it did they would text me to let me know what was going on and when it came back they would let me know.

12 months are up and fibre is now here at my address. I also did not want or need a home phone any more.

So of course I switched back to Vodafone. Yes they limit you to "only" 300GB but at €35pm its a bit cheaper than €50

If Sky were quicker with the announcement and let you only take out fibre I probably would have stayed.

Advertisement