Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you guys doing a survey?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 6:24pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Kept getting a notification from my pop up blocker, so I allowed it to show whatever it was trying to. It was a survey via survey monkey from boards.ie, or at least claiming to be.

Is this legit? Didn't notice an announcement and usually pop-ups aren't your style. Or do I need to check for something malicious on my computer?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've also noticed a lot of pop ups being blocked, just in the last few minutes. Haven't checked them out, but it seems an unusual level of activity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Disable the ads in your control panel and compare what happens afterwards. But I don't think there's anything running currently. My pop-up blocker shows no sign of anything being caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I got it too - looks legit. One of the questions particularly made me think it's official - and I'm normally a skeptic about these things. An announcement would have been normal though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Spear wrote: »
    Disable the ads in your control panel and compare what happens afterwards. But I don't think there's anything running currently. My pop-up blocker shows no sign of anything being caught.

I already have ads disabled. Since I allowed pop-ups on boards and closed the survey, it hasn't tried to re-appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Same here I keep getting a survey request for every thread I enter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi folks,

We are indeed running a survey, it was set live a little while ago just before I could post about it here. Sorry for the messing and lack of warning, I'm looking at getting rid of the pop-ups entirely and replacing it with a notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I knew it! It's a trap.

Yes, a trap where you can help us decide what's a priority for our 2015 workload as well win a €50 voucher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Do you have a link for it? I instinctively X'd mine as soon as I seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Well I did the survey and it seems that ye have yeer minds made up that ye will be changing the look of the site whatever anyone says.

Gotta love those consultants :mad:

FWIW, I hate any type of change, so I disagreed with everything that said "should we change the look of the site?" cos no we shouldn't, it works grand, stop messing with it!

You may e-mail me my vouchers now thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Dav wrote: »
    Yes, a trap where you can help us decide what's a priority for our 2015 workload as well win a €50 voucher :D

The oldest one in the book..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Does getting told off now and again constitute dealing with the good folk that run the site?

Well here's the thing, we get people telling us all the time that they have no idea how the site works, they cannot find what they're looking for and that it's baffling to them. Now, I've always thought that figuring out a VBulletin based website was something you can do blindfolded, but I've been using VBulletin sites for as long as they've existed, so I can't give an unbiased opinion on that.

If there's an overwhelming majority of responses that say nothing needs changing then we have conflicting information and we need to figure out if these people who don't understand the site have some sort of genuine issue or are just not smart :p :pac:

Most importantly though, we are planning on being rid of VBulletin for all time by this time next year and that does mean that new pages and software need to be built - these questions help us decide if these new pages need to look the same as the current ones or should be something completely new (and tbh, I have no idea what completely new could or should be - how else should you display threaded conversational content?). But at least this way we're making informed decisions and not just guessing.

We will be sharing the results with you all by the way, I'm sure there are plenty of you who'll find it interesting.

You can take the link to the survey down now. When I clicked it, it tells me you have had enough responses already then asks me to sign up for other surveys!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I got a notification but when I clicked it they told me they'd had enough answers already. Trying to filter out the cranks would we?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I got a notification but when I clicked it they told me they'd had enough answers already. Trying to filter out the cranks would we?

They just don't want you winning the voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No questions about beans or George Wendt....

If you didn't get the George Wendt question, you mustn't have answered the questions in the pre-approved "fun" way :p

Well - we didn't think we'd get those filled anywhere near as quickly as we did, thank you so much everyone for the enthusiasm. Declan was unable to take the notice down last night, so I've done that now, sorry to anyone who wanted to help out but was a bit late.

We're still running the survey for logged out members - their questions are very slightly different, but not much. We're probably going to be close to filling that out to completion today or tomorrow and we'll do a review internally on Friday. I'll get the results posted either then or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dav wrote: »
    If you didn't get the George Wendt question, you mustn't have answered the questions in the pre-approved "fun" way :p

Well - we didn't think we'd get those filled anywhere near as quickly as we did, thank you so much everyone for the enthusiasm. Declan was unable to take the notice down last night, so I've done that now, sorry to anyone who wanted to help out but was a bit late.

You are completely missing out the opinions of procastinators and 'I'll do it just before the deadline' users, an important demographic.

Advertisement