Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abrsm vs Riam exams?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all new to this forum, and also staring on a new adventure of learning to play the piano. My question is as stated in the tread title. My first goal is to work through the grade 1 material and sit the exam in the new year, just not sure what syllabus or exam I should practice for the Abrsm or Riam or what is the difference between them?
    I am a complete newby so your input would be greatly appreciated.
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

RIAM is easier, both in terms of the material and finding a centre to do exams. If you're self-taught, I would recommend doing RIAM because trying to find an external examiner for ABRSM on your own (ie not being forwarded by a teacher or school) is a right pain in the hole.

However I would recommend a teacher first. With the piano it's especially important to start off with a good technique that will set you up properly. You can then continue with self study once you have a solid foundation. Take it from someone who did it arse-ways and is spending an excruciating amount of time and money trying to fix dodgy self-taught technique that doesn't hold up at speed or high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

RIAM is easier, both in terms of the material and finding a centre to do exams. If you're self-taught, I would recommend doing RIAM because trying to find an external examiner for ABRSM on your own (ie not being forwarded by a teacher or school) is a right pain in the hole.

However I would recommend a teacher first. With the piano it's especially important to start off with a good technique that will set you up properly. You can then continue with self study once you have a solid foundation. Take it from someone who did it arse-ways and is spending an excruciating amount of time and money trying to fix dodgy self-taught technique that doesn't hold up at speed or high standard.

Agree completely regarding finding a teacher, but I disagree about it being easier to enter for RIAM exams: the ABRSM system is very straightforward, and can be done online by anyone. The exams take place in the winter in Dun Laoghaire, and in the summer in Alexandra College, Milltown. (Possibly elsewhere in the country too.)

The ABRSM piano syllabus is far superior to the RIAM in terms of selections of repertoire, and also theory and aural skills. Also, the exam books are of much better quality and are far cheaper than the horrendously overpriced RIAM ones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Oh ABRSM is absolutely the better system, but years ago I had to find my own external examiner and it was a nightmare. If it's changed since, that's a completely different story. ABRSM all the way if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 D46

Ok great feedback just what I was after, ABRSM it is. A teacher is next on my list aright, at the moment I am trying to get an overall picture of the direction that I'm heading in.
    Many thanks.

Advertisement