Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on EBS box inside Old Cottage

Options
  • 24-11-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice here. I've been working on a 200 year old cottage for a number of years now. I have to remove a section of the back wall which is 2' thick and on the inside of this wall is my ESB box containing an old meter and the fuse board. An overhead cable runs from the back of the house in through the frame of the back door and around into the side of the ESB box.I've attached some photos to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

The thing is I have to take down this section of wall for design purposes and I don't know how to approach ESB on this. Can I get an electrician to disconnect the main cable and take the ESB box off the iside wall or (as I suspect) are only ESB permitted to do this?

The other part of my question is, once I have the new wall built up (using standard soilids) is it possible to have a new ESB box on the outside of this back wall with the main cable re-terminated to it or does the new ESB box have to be close to the outside of the front door?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/faqs.jsp#move_meter

Above link to ESB Networks. May help.

If I've got it wrong go to ESB Networks site- domestic customers. Lead you to the contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice here. I've been working on a 200 year old cottage for a number of years now. I have to remove a section of the back wall which is 2' thick and on the inside of this wall is my ESB box containing an old meter and the fuse board. An overhead cable runs from the back of the house in through the frame of the back door and around into the side of the ESB box.I've attached some photos to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

The thing is I have to take down this section of wall for design purposes and I don't know how to approach ESB on this. Can I get an electrician to disconnect the main cable and take the ESB box off the iside wall or (as I suspect) are only ESB permitted to do this?

The other part of my question is, once I have the new wall built up (using standard soilids) is it possible to have a new ESB box on the outside of this back wall with the main cable re-terminated to it or does the new ESB box have to be close to the outside of the front door?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, cheers.

The two main cables feeding ESB cutout can be redirected no problem by ESB. If you provide an alternative location then meter can be temporarily moved for you until works are complete, if works take an excessive amount of time then you will be charged a slightly more expensive tariff for temporary supply.

Note: ESB cables will not be joined so you can only deal with the cables lenght at present for location of temporary supply.

Once this is done then all your electrician needs to do is extend his mains until new mains is installed - completion certificate is required

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

Thanks for the helpful advice guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they will charge 1700 euros to move it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A cash machine in the hall would be handy, I was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

braddun wrote: »
    they will charge 1700 euros to move it

Seems excessive

Advertisement