Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2015 : May 30-31

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Thought he was going to break into rock the boat. Almost a shame he didn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Site was grand prob no need for wellies. Good first day, main stage was fairly packed for fbs and it looked to me that people enjoyed it. Played a set I would expect him to play don't see why people complaining so much but then again not everyone likes the same thing that's why there's more than one act on at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Saw Patty Smith at Primavera last night, I'd highly recommend people to go see her Monday, seeing as it's free and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Birneybau wrote: »
    Saw Patty Smith at Primavera last night, I'd highly recommend people to go see her Monday, seeing as it's free and that.

Free? €49.50? huh!

I would have imagined Patti Smith live in 2015 would be a rather dull affair.
    An absolute legend in her time, but these days I can't see her live performances being too vibrant or special.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Were there people selling tickets outside the venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Great night at Forbidden Fruit, Jamie XX tore the roof off.

Good food, easy bar access, lots of room to move.

Great festival, shame about the weather (but could have been worse).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Thinking of heading today, If you buy a ticket on ticket master will an electronic version do as I don't have immediate access to a printer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Wu Tang & Joey Bada$$ were ****in' awesome. Very tempted to go just for tun the jewels today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Thinking of heading today, If you buy a ticket on ticket master will an electronic version do as I don't have immediate access to a printer at the moment.

You'll have to collect a physical version at the box office out there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Free? €49.50? huh!

I would have imagined Patti Smith live in 2015 would be a rather dull affair.
    An absolute legend in her time, but these days I can't see her live performances being too vibrant or special.

Free to those that have weekend tickets. Also, you imagine incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Hows the ground holding up? After last night's rain are wellies needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kram00

Blut2 wrote: »
    Hows the ground holding up? After last night's rain are wellies needed?

Be interested in this too. We'll be leaving soon. Nice morning so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ground was fairly grand, don't think there is a need for wellies, but I wouldn't be wearing a brand new pair of runners either!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Yeah ground was pretty solid at the end. Few muddy patches but don't think wellies will be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Can't wait for Run the Jewels tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Jamie xx was kinda crap, played very little of his own music. I just don't get the concept of DJ sets really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Jamie xx was kinda crap, played very little of his own music. I just don't get the concept of DJ sets really.

He was ridiculously good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Is there anyone who's done with a weekend wristband who'd like to donate one so i can head to Patti Smith on Monday evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Can people just tell me how good run the jewels where?? Picked nas over it

but1er wrote: »
    Can people just tell me how good run the jewels where?? Picked nas over it

It was fantastic, they blew the place apart. Their entrance music was 'We are the Champions' - Queen. They'll be back again and Nas playing Illmatic start to finish is pretty rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Enjoyed yesterday, the amount of ropey young ones plastered in bad fake tan with their arses hanging out of their hotpants and side boob on show was hilarious, they all looked identical, must be the uniform now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

There's an awful lot of guff written about 'the art of DJing', etc. However, the best DJs out there join the dots between different eras and genres and place everything in context in relation to each other. Seeing someone like Floating Points or MCDE drawing from 40 years of music can be a revelatory experience. I've often went to a gig to dance about to some house and techno, but came home a fan of funk, boogie, industrial and god knows what else.

People often debate the merits of a DJ versus a live act. That's totally missing the point. You wouldn't compare a science-fiction novel to an anthology of the best-science fiction writing.

Enjoyed yesterday, the amount of ropey young ones plastered in bad fake tan with their arses hanging out of their hotpants and side boob on show was hilarious, they all looked identical, must be the uniform now.

yeah i thought picnic was turning into oxegen but forbidden fruit showed me that we've a ways to go yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Successful weekend overall, weather wasn't great on Saturday but the other two days it was fine. Highlights for me were Jamie XX, Floating Points or Tensnake, also had brilliant craic any time I went down to the Bulmers Lounge. Seemed to be a bit of a different crowd to last year alright, felt like a lot of people were there for the event rather than the music, ridiculous amount of young ones done up to the max and Geordie Shore type lads strolling around. Didn't see any trouble all weekend though so can't have too many complaints about the crowd. It felt extremely busy on Sunday, couldn't even get in to see Cyril Hahn and Dusky was very squashy, IMO they could have done with a bit of a bigger festival site this year as it definitely felt busier than the previous year!

If I go again next year I don't think I'd bother with the after parties, having to leave the festival and queue up for a nightclub really deflates the buzz. Pyg/Powerscourt was unbelievably packed on Saturday night for Groove Armada, had a ticket for Tensnake last night but the queue wasn't moving for about half an hour so we just went somewhere else. Happy I chose to go to Forbidden Fruit over Life all things considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Adam Beyer in Hangar was easily one of the best sets I've ever seen, great finish to the weekend. He finished up at around quarter to 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Highlights of the festival for me were Fatboy Slim on Friday, Groove Armada on Sat, and Run the Jewels last night...Steve Bennett, Alison Spittle, and Kevin McGahern were brilliant in the comedy tent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It felt extremely busy on Sunday, couldn't even get in to see Cyril Hahn and Dusky was very squashy, IMO they could have done with a bit of a bigger festival site this year as it definitely felt busier than the previous year!

If I go again next year I don't think I'd bother with the after parties, having to leave the festival and queue up for a nightclub really deflates the buzz. Pyg/Powerscourt was unbelievably packed on Saturday night for Groove Armada, had a ticket for Tensnake last night but the queue wasn't moving for about half an hour so we just went somewhere else. Happy I chose to go to Forbidden Fruit over Life all things considered!

Managed to get in for Cyril Hahn no bother, Dusky was very uncomfortable, ended up bailing to Richie Hawtin who was quality!

Hangar last night was grand, no queue at all. Organised **** might you with tickets, having to show the receipt at the door but not all 6 of us were there meant nothing but hassle getting the 6th person in!
    Adam Beyer in Hangar was easily one of the bests I've ever seen, great finish to the weekend. He finished up at around quarter to 4!

Unreal! Hangar was hopping, pity the bar was poorly organised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There's an awful lot of guff written about 'the art of DJing', etc. However, the best DJs out there join the dots between different eras and genres and place everything in context in relation to each other. Seeing someone like Floating Points or MCDE drawing from 40 years of music can be a revelatory experience. I've often went to a gig to dance about to some house and techno, but came home a fan of funk, boogie, industrial and god knows what else.

People often debate the merits of a DJ versus a live act. That's totally missing the point. You wouldn't compare a science-fiction novel to an anthology of the best-science fiction writing.

Just have the lad email over a playlist then.
    The whole idea of a 'superstar dj' is a farce.

But this is off-topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

I chose Life...

How many Wu members showed up?

And what was the set like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

nm wrote: »
    Just have the lad email over a playlist then.
    The whole idea of a 'superstar dj' is a farce.

But this is off-topic..

Yes, it is a farce and it always was. It died out a few years ago but it's making a return again. But they're not the people I'm referring to. They're just Hollywood. The glamour and bull****.

You need to look at places like Life this weekend. Most DJs playing there are also musicians and producers, many of them primarily so. It's almost unheard of these days for someone to break through on the strength of their DJing alone. That's what the modern electronic scene looks like. Wall to wall with original, creative artists.

Advertisement