Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo query

• 24-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

before i get stuck into this tomorrow I just want to make sure i am not going make a mistake i cant remedy. I have a large area of bamboo to clear . I dont want to kill the bamboo, but it has had no tlc for years and is full of old bamboo that looks very unsightly. My immediate thought was, as its a grass, is to cut it all out at the base (leave the rhizome) and let it grow back and keep it maintained. The other option is to just jump in and cut out all the dead and side shoots to make it more presentable. I know the second method will work but im wondering will cutting it all down and letting it regrow work. Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Missed seeing this yesterday. :(

I've seen large clumps of bamboo cut to about 6 inches above soil level and they have regrown successfully. Even unhealthy bamboos will make a good attempt to regrow.

From your description of your bamboo, I think I'd opt for thinning it out and probably digging out the outermost growth to make it a bit neater.
    You could trim off the "branches" from the lower 12 or 18 inches of the remaining mature culms which would show them off nicely and give the plant a real "bamboo" look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Thanks for the reply. I ended up thinning it out and removing lot and lots of old bamboo. I also trimmed the lower 1/3 of some of the other clumps, looks really well and I've put aside lots of bamboo for use around the garden. Enjoyable days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Sounds like you did a good job!
    Look out for all the new growth next spring. :)

Advertisement