Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading ethernet on desktop and laptop

Options
  • 24-11-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I'm going to try and get my entire network going at gigabit speeds, so i have to upgrade both my laptop and my desktop, both of which are currently 10/100 only. The laptop boasts 2 USB 3 ports, so I'm going to simplify with this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E44F3BO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1ML5JQD0TUS0A

For 10 quid, can't go too wrong, and honestly, the laptop is probably going to be replaced next year with a NUC anyway, so don't want to go overboard. Any opinion on this solution?

For the desktop though, I thought I could just whip in a new network card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TG-3468-Gigabit-Express-Network/dp/B001OQSZQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416839968&sr=8-1&keywords=network+card

But I've got questions. I'll open the PC to check, and I guess I'm looking for a free PCIe slot. The PC though is a fairly budget-friendly HP bought from PCWorld a year ago - I've not been able to find much info about it online, but what are the chances of running into difficulties with power and/or incompatibility with the board or the existing ethernet port? For 10 odd euro, I might just give it a try and see what happens, but I'd like to be prepared, and I'd particularly like to avoid setting my PC on fire :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Open it up and make sure it has the slots, but I can't see you having any trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Unfortunately, I opened it last night and the mb is almost completely smooth with just space for another stick of RAM. Sucks, but nothing I can do about it.

Advertisement