Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coax / CAAT 6 running with power cables

Options
  • 24-11-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

We are in the process of a refurb and are having the house rewired.

The electrician wiring the house is running the CAAT 6 and coax cables in vey close proximity to the power cables.

The proposed location of the fuse box is also very close to where the comms hub will be (within 3 feet). I understand that there can be interference and potential safety issues with this. Are there regulations that I can refer to when I discuss with the electrician - his response to date is that he has been doing this all his life...

Any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

letape wrote: »
    We are in the process of a refurb and are having the house rewired.

The electrician wiring the house is running the CAAT 6 and coax cables in vey close proximity to the power cables.

The proposed location of the fuse box is also very close to where the comms hub will be (within 3 feet). I understand that there can be interference and potential safety issues with this. Are there regulations that I can refer to when I discuss with the electrician - his response to date is that he has been doing this all his life...

Any advice very much appreciated.

3feet should be plenty On the hub

On the cabling I'm not aware of a reg on proximity
    Dont forget they are run in close proximity in compartmentalised trunking

My own practice on domestic is 1ft gap on runs
    50mm on drops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

all cables catered for if rewiring sat/cable/saorview? as people always forget one or 2 lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

letape wrote: »

Out of interest how close are they?
    Ideally they would be perhaps 6" apart.
    In reality even if these cables were tapped together interference issues are quite unlikely (I am not recommending this).

The proposed location of the fuse box is also very close to where the comms hub will be (within 3 feet).

More than enough.
    I understand that there can be interference and potential safety issues with this.

I would not have any safety concerns once the insulation on the power cables is undamaged.

Interference is caused by the magnetic fields surrounding electrical cables. The strength of this field is a function of the current flowing. In other words cables carrying small loads (such as lights) will have reduced potential to cause interference.

Also remember the modern coax cabling used is double screened with blocks interference very effectively.
    Are there regulations that I can refer to when I discuss with the electrician - his response to date is that he has been doing this all his life...

The regulations that would apply to your electrician are "The National Rules for Electrical Installations" (ET101:2008). I do not think that you will find anything here to support your concerns. All that I can point to is "good practice".

No matter how careful an electrician is CAT5/6 and coax cabling will have to cross power cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

2011 wrote: »
    Out of interest how close are they?
    Ideally they would be perhaps 6" apart.
    In reality even if these cables were tapped together interference issues are quite unlikely (I am not recommending this).

There are sections where the coax / CAAT 6 cables run 15 to 20 feet parallel within an inch of power cables. All the cables are tightly fitted through the sane holes in the ceiling joists. In some cases the cables are twisted together. Not happy with this, but I'm my sure how to raise with the builder / the electrician responded to me telling me that I'm wrong and he knows best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Used to always run Lv cables in a separate line of holes a foot away from the HV cables in domestic installations, if they were to cross, always at near right angles to each other or thereabouts whatever practical at the time.

A good man on the drill was the key to it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Used to always run Lv cables in a separate line of holes a foot away from the HV cables in domestic installations, if they were to cross, always at near right angles to each other or thereabouts whatever practical at the time.

A good man on the drill was the key to it all.

Everything you have said is consistent with what I have read - unfortunately for me the electrician wiring our house believes this is unnecessary.

Advertisement