Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is this possible?

• 24-11-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

hi everyone

I am wondering whether this scenario is even possible?

im kinda bored at the moment with the options for entertainment in the car.

I have a bmw e60 that has an idrive but nothing with it (just a screen with poor info, no satnav or music options). However, the car has bluetooth for calls - factory fitted, not a parrot.

I am wondering if this is possible:

I have an iphone (5,5s, or 6 at xmas). i am wondering if its possible to use an ipad mini in there.

the idea is (i can buy either the wifi model or the one with cellular). i am wondering if i can use the ipad mini as satnav and also if i could continuity/handoff my calls from the iphone to the ipad, which would be connected via bluetooth to the car. Music is not an issue, can play from the ipad on loudspeaker.

it would be be nice to have a screen. ill have to find a way to mount the ipad with the least damage to the console as possible, but again, thats if the above works.

is the ipad able to handle continuity for calls if its on 3g or using the iphone as hotspot? what if the ipad was 3g and did the hotspot that the iphone connects to?

it would be awesome if that could work.

Many thanks for letting me know if anything like the above could remotely be possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You'd want a new head unit that supports CarPlay. And they're not cheap :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Zcott wrote: »
    You'd want a new head unit that supports CarPlay. And they're not cheap :-(

I'm looking at the ipad doing the work, recent calls frome the iPhone via continuity call. I know the 2 devices have to be on same wifi but what if 1 of them was the hots pot. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Spipov wrote: »
    Music is not an issue, can play from the ipad on loudspeaker.

Noo!! use this: Car Connect

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Noo!! use this: Car Connect

i have that, its used in our 1 series. the e60 does not have an aux port in, and i dont think im putting any money in the car apart from parts/repair as im doing a lot of mileage and i dont know how long the car will last.

the ipad will last longer than the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

i have that, its used in our 1 series. the e60 does not have an aux port in, and i dont think im putting any money in the car apart from parts/repair as im doing a lot of mileage and i dont know how long the car will last.

the ipad will last longer than the car.

It should do ... facing the passengers in the back

e60phone3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I could be wrong but I think both devices need to be connected to the same network - so if the iPhone was providing the hotspot continuity wouldn't work. I have an iPhone and iPad so I will try it out for you when I get a chance.

Unfortunately not. bog standard SE spec with bluetooth, no AUX. not in glovebox either.

RS0YOZT.jpg?1

Aeternum wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think both devices need to be connected to the same network - so if the iPhone was providing the hotspot continuity wouldn't work. I have an iPhone and iPad so I will try it out for you when I get a chance.

Many thanks for giving this a try. will it be possible as you need another phone to ring the iphone anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I will call my iPhone off my boyfriend's phone and see how it goes. Will let you know once I have tried it!

thanks very much for helping!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    It should do ... facing the passengers in the back

e60phone3.jpg
    Unfortunately not. bog standard SE spec with bluetooth, no AUX. not in glovebox either.

RS0YOZT.jpg?1

Many thanks for giving this a try. will it be possible as you need another phone to ring the iphone anyway?

The AUX port changed from LCI to PRE LCI E60's.
    OP you need a Dension kit that connects to your iDrive and then you can use they standard jog wheel etc.

On my old E60 I had the 6FL option, which was a usb and aux port that connect to my iPhone etc but this is not a real option for your car tbh

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    The AUX port changed from LCI to PRE LCI E60's.
    OP you need a Dension kit that connects to your iDrive and then you can use they standard jog wheel etc.

On my old E60 I had the 6FL option, which was a usb and aux port that connect to my iPhone etc but this is not a real option for your car tbh

Thats not my main priority. Im content with nluetooth for calls. I wondering more anout the ipad receiving calls and acting as a gps screen

Advertisement