Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here have a Flieger Chrono?

• 24-11-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have a flieger chrono? On the verge of pulling the trigger on an Archimede flieger chrono but if anyone has been through the process already, id love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

i dont have a high end flieger chrono but if i was in the market i think it would come down to between these 3 in order of preference

Stowa flieger chrono
    Sinn 756
    Damasko DC66

Hanhart Pioneer mk1 is a dark horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've had an Archimede Pilot, A Stowa Flieger Handwind 2801 and I still have the Tutima 1941 Flieger Chronograph.

02042010.JPG
    25.JPG
    03102014.jpg

The Archimede was excellent for the money (£150 secondhand). The Stowa was lovely but I now know that I will only buy one with blued hands and a hand-wind Unitas movement - I'll have one again some day as long as it doesn't have their new logo on the dial (or a date - though I believe that they are auto-only) and does have a centre second hand. The domed sapphire on the Stowa is a thing of beauty - as is the one on the Tutima. The latter will only be flipped for something special (likely to be a vintage Universal Geneve chrono but I'm not ready yet).

Hope this helps - if you have any specific questions let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

CB, your Tutima is lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    CB, your Tutima is lovely

Thank you. Just to add that, whatever you buy, be sure to get a Stowa flieger strap for it. They're not very expensive and wear in gracefully. There are a few pictures here from when I sold my Stowa (though I also wore the same strap on the Archimede, as you can just about make out).
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?219970-FS-Stowa-Flieger-Handwind-2801-Special-Edition-OHPF

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Just saw this thread...

I've both the Archimede Flieger Chrono and the Stowa Flieger Chrono... both really great watches for the money, but the Stowa wins hands down, for me. For what it's worth, I got the Archimede with the PVD-coated case... the coating wasn't the best I've come across and has worn off pretty quickly.

If you can stretch the budget, consider the Stowa; here it is pictured on the strap to which i think CarltonBrowne is referring...

Note: this has blued hands, which show up better under different lighting conditions.

photows.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

dancrowley wrote: »
    Just saw this thread...

I've both the Archimede Flieger Chrono and the Stowa Flieger Chrono... both really great watches for the money, but the Stowa wins hands down, for me. For what it's worth, I got the Archimede with the PVD-coated case... the coating wasn't the best I've come across and has worn off pretty quickly.

If you can stretch the budget, consider the Stowa; here it is pictured on the strap to which i think CarltonBrowne is referring...

Note: this has blued hands, which show up better under different lighting conditions.

photows.jpg

That Stowa flieger is a bit of a grail, but I just cant bring myself to spend that much on a watch....yet. im sure il work up to it over a few years.

Leaning heavily towards a hamilton khaki pilot pioneer right now (2nd hand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

More of a Military Chrono...but at £80, you cant go wrong

PulsarPJN273-11_zpsc17f0510.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

More of a Military Chrono...but at £80, you cant go wrong

PulsarPJN273-11_zpsc17f0510.jpg

its pretty, but its not an auto!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*iconoclast* so it'll be much cheaper to buy, much cheaper to run(no servicing other than a battery every few years), a gazillion times more accurate, more robust and is always ready to strap on even if left in a drawer for six months, Seems like a good deal to me. *iconoclast* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    *iconoclast* so it'll be much cheaper to buy, much cheaper to run(no servicing other than a battery every few years), a gazillion times more accurate, more robust and is always ready to strap on even if left in a drawer for six months, Seems like a good deal to me. *iconoclast* :D

It sure will, and yet its still inferior, still missing something..
    ;)

Honestly though, i have nothing against quartz watches at all, they just aren't for me. If im going to buy a piece of antiquated obsolete technological jewellery for my wrist, I want mine to have a manual or automatic movement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    It sure will, and yet its still inferior, still missing something..
    ;)
    If you type "soul", so feckin help me boyo... *raises banhammer* :p :pac:

TBH FW while I appreciate your modern mostly placcy quartz movements for their cheapness and reliability(if not consistency, skill, finishing and attention to detail), it's the high end quartz, where the same skills and innovations and attention to detail of traditional watchmaking are in evidence that actually rev my engine. IMHO they have "soul" and plenty of it.

In modern and current stuff Seiko lead the way here, with their SpringDrive and their Seiko 9F quartz. Real quality going on.

Going old stylee, the Beta 21(a very cool movement), Longines UltraQuartz(flaky as fook, but cybernetic. Cybernetic FFS and handbuilt cybernetic at that), Girard Perregaux 330 series(the progenitor of all analogue quartz' to this day. And with teflon bearings so no "oiling"), the Omega Megaquartz(still the most accurate independent wearable timepiece even down to today) and such like rev my engine. I've taken a few of the above apart and they have just the same cool factor as mechanicals IMH.

And again IMH have more, much more going on soul wise than a goodly proportion of the current ETA stamped out in their millions mechanical movements.

Though after all that, today I'm wearing my 1912-14 Longines very early wristwatch. I do still dig the winding. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement