Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate Central Hard Drive

Options
  • 24-11-2014 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

So I got the Seagate Central 4TB hard drive today, I have it plugged into my Eircom modem/router via ethernet at home and have set it up successfully. I'm able to send and receive files via both home networking and remote access. However, I think that when I access my files via my web browser on my phone, and tell it to retrieve a video file, that it uploads the video to a Seagate server (the phone reports that it's downloading it from dav17.tappin.com) first and then I download from that.
    Is that what's happening? Is there a way for me to access the hard drive remotely without going through a Seagate server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you port forwarded to the Seagate then its doing a relayed connection, everything is going through their servers.

It seems to be designed with this kind of access in mind. The only other way I can see would be VPNing to your LAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

ED E wrote: »
    Unless you port forwarded to the Seagate then its doing a relayed connection, everything is going through their servers.

It seems to be designed with this kind of access in mind. The only other way I can see would be VPNing to your LAN.

I've got the Eircom F1000 modem and I think I've set it up correctly.
    I've got two rules on the Port Forwarding page, both called Seagate Central.
    Both WAN Interface types are VDSL (I haven't a clue what this means, the other two choices I had were ETHWAN and pppo3G, again, not a clue).
    I didn't enter anything for WAN IP.
    I put in the IP address for the hard drive on my network, which is 192.168.x.x (not saying what x is here).
    For the first rule, I entered 80 as the Trigger Start Port, Trigger End Port, Translation Start Port and Translation End Port.
    For the second rule, the same, this time using 443.
    For the protocol for both, I selected TCP/UDP.

Would that be everything set up correctly?

Odd thing is, when I contacted Seagate, they said that it was a direct connection between my phone and the drive.

As for a VPN, I'm working on it. I've got a Raspberry Pi and a book written by the co-creator. Looking through the table of contents though, it doesn't mention setting it up as a VPN. I'll have to look elsewhere I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Youve exposed it correctly so. But unless you have static public IP from eircom you'll need a dynamic DNS service to access it.

Right now if you find out your ip address (google whats my IP) while on wifi then browse to that address while on your 3G/4G connection on your phone you should get the login page of the Seagate.

Be careful here, you have to trust seagate secured it properly and it cant be brute forced as anyone on the internet can see its login page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

ED E wrote: »
    Youve exposed it correctly so. But unless you have static public IP from eircom you'll need a dynamic DNS service to access it.

Right now if you find out your ip address (google whats my IP) while on wifi then browse to that address while on your 3G/4G connection on your phone you should get the login page of the Seagate.

Be careful here, you have to trust seagate secured it properly and it cant be brute forced as anyone on the internet can see its login page.

...nuts. I'll have to talk to Eircom then about getting a static IP. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    ...nuts. I'll have to talk to Eircom then about getting a static IP. Thanks for all the help.

Or just use No-IP / DynDNS or whatever service your router supports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    So I got the Seagate Central 4TB hard drive today, I have it plugged into my Eircom modem/router via ethernet at home and have set it up successfully. I'm able to send and receive files via both home networking and remote access. However, I think that when I access my files via my web browser on my phone, and tell it to retrieve a video file, that it uploads the video to a Seagate server (the phone reports that it's downloading it from dav17.tappin.com) first and then I download from that.
    Is that what's happening? Is there a way for me to access the hard drive remotely without going through a Seagate server?

Can I ask where you got this from in Ireland and how much?

Advertisement