Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Britain Introduces New Anti-Terror Legislation

• 24-11-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

People saying on Twitter they think it is really to stop people 'outing' VIP paedophiles. Just shows the level of distrust in authority that's about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looking at Sony being hacked today, I'd wonder how much of this data will be secure, and what's to stop any of the white supremacists gathering lists of people from the logs to attack? I'm guessing the government won't store it, but if they did, who will police the storage of the data, and ensure it's deleted when it should, and not just kept on file?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I cannot remember offhand which US politician said that he welcome a crisis to push his own agenda, but this legislation seems tailor made to fit this. By changing the burden of proof to a mean civil (51%) standard instead of rather arbitrary reasononable belief this locks in the ability of the state to further erode civil liberties and undermines a presumption of innocent. Given that it is the 25th anniversity of the Guildford 4, that the security-state is blooming in our nearest neighbour which Ireland in many cases copies for its laws, suggests we soon also will be getting a false dichotomy of security or freedom.

Advertisement