Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Milege Issue

• 24-11-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

This could probably apply to any car... but in this case its an insignia.

I can buy a high end model with every extra that you can have. It was looked after like a baby, but done serious motorway miles as a company car. Its done nearly half a million km's in 4 years but its like new. No marks/scratchs, perfect interior, not so much as a scuff on the leather seats etc You'd never guess it had such high milege.

Or I can buy a more basic model that has an "average" service history and just basic features and its not as young either for the same price as the high end one.

Hmm which one to get...??? Any input/advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cars get tired with mileage. 500000km is a lot on a modern car regardless of what maintainance was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cars get tired with mileage. 500000km is a lot on a modern car regardless of what maintainance was done.

Yeh I thought as much. I just wanted to someone to confirm it. So I guess I may give up on the elite model and go for an SC. Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

500k km is massive miles and would make even a 2011 fairly worthless, certainly much much less than an SC with average miles- I'd guess €5/6k.

If you can get it for that type of money, and know the history etc it might be worth a punt but you'd need to make sure you have money available to cover likely large repair costs

colm_mcm wrote: »

Just on a side note: at what point do cars start getting 'tired' from milege. 150km? 200km? 250km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

You really should buy on condition, not mileage. Although 500k is a lot to be fair. If it has a full comprehensive service history I'd chance it. What's the worst that could happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

500,000 kms in 4 years. HGVs do that kind of mileage.

Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sobanek wrote: »
    500,000 kms in 4 years. HGVs do that kind of mileage.

Avoid.
    I would buy it if it was technically a good car and in good condition. I would always buy a car on condition, not on mileage. There are no rules when the car gets tired. One will get tired after 80k km, another one after 800k km, depends how it was used, serviced, etc.

I remember years ago my friend bought a car with 560k km on the clock and put up another 600k km on it until the body started to rust. He looked after the car though. Service on time, etc.

All in all, the mileage wouldn't put me off.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I would buy it if it was technically a good car and in good condition. I would always buy a car on condition, not on mileage. There are no rules when the car gets tired. One will get tired after 80k km, another one after 800k km, depends how it was used, serviced, etc.

I remember years ago my friend bought a car with 560k km on the clock and put up another 600k km on it until the body started to rust. He looked after the car though. Service on time, etc.

All in all, the mileage wouldn't put me off.

What about something like this:

http : //cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-insignia-2-0cdti-elite-ecoflex/7924246

Its another elite, although this has 300,000 over 4 years..... still kinda high though I think. But it looks to be spic and span. I'd really love to bite the bullet on one but I just know it could easily turn into a money pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Gormley85 wrote: »
    This could probably apply to any car... but in this case its an insignia.

I can buy a high end model with every extra that you can have. It was looked after like a baby, but done serious motorway miles as a company car. Its done nearly half a million km's in 4 years but its like new. No marks/scratchs, perfect interior, not so much as a scuff on the leather seats etc You'd never guess it had such high milege.

Or I can buy a more basic model that has an "average" service history and just basic features and its not as young either for the same price as the high end one.

Hmm which one to get...??? Any input/advice would be great.

500k is a lot but whats the 500 k price , it all depends on the price , years ago you couldn't buy a car with that mileage because it'd get, clocked.

It's all about price price price,

Be cheap at 3 grand ,

Ok , so it's not 3 grand , but how much is it ? Make a stupidly low offer.

Just saying, it's all about price at those miles.

Advertisement