Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish attitudes to mental health

• 24-11-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

How far do you think we have come as a society in regards to mental health awareness and acceptance of mental illness as no different to physical problems? are we where we should be? Have we done enough to conquer the stigma?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

When it comes to depression and suicide we've improved vastly in our attitudes and awareness. Still got a lot further to go. For the less common stuff like schizophrenia we've still got a long way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I find the stigma more in the questioning and expectation that there should be one that we as a society need to overcome. Experiences from my friends seemed to imply that trying to make a point that there should be no shame for them always made them feel more pressured. What's needed is the support and assistance they require is available. The negative attitude you expect wouldn't help if its still as prevelant now, however presenting an overly positive message behind can be too much to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Most of the people I know are pretty dismissive about other people's mental health. I get the impression that it's the younger people who are much more accepting these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I hate the term someone is 'suffering with their nerves'...it's just tip-toeing around actually saying depression, as if it's something to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I hate the term someone is 'suffering with their nerves'.

Are you posting from sometime in the early 1960s? Haven't heard that used by anyone in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There are some self diagnosed people out there that claim to have issues and use them as a shield for their own behaviour. I know two people that claimed to have depression but never went to a physiatrist for help or even diagnosis. On the other side of things I have a family member that had PND and kept it hidden until they needed intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Have you ever tried ringing in sick to work saying you need a mental health day?

But you've all done it and claimed to have a stomach upset instead. Me too.

That's how you know there's still stigma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Potatoeman wrote: »
    There are some self diagnosed people out there that claim to have issues and use them as a shield for their own behaviour. I know two people that claimed to have depression but never went to a physiatrist for help or even diagnosis. On the other side of things I have a family member that had PND and kept it hidden until they needed intervention.

Sometimes, depression is so blaringly obvious that you don't need anybody to tell you you have it. Similarly, sometimes you don't need help.

I think the biggest thing that's still lacking is the acceptance of people with mental health issues. I've worked with several autistic people, or schizophrenics and several other mental health disorders (for lack of a better word) and the amount of times I've heard someone say "do you believe what your one said the last day?!" Um, that person has Aspergers so not only is it probably the most honest thing you'll ever hear, you have to give them a little leeway given they don't exact conform to society much (which is one of the thing I love).

Or the idea that there's something "wrong" with people with mental health issues is still very much alive, as in they're any less capable of doing something. This then starts to seep the people with the issues and they start to believe them... If I had a euro for every time someone told me they can't do something because they have *insert problem here*, I'd be rich... especially those who had absolutely no problem doing it, they were just told they couldn't.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Sometimes, depression is so blaringly obvious that you don't need anybody to tell you you have it. Similarly, sometimes you don't need help.

I think the biggest thing that's still lacking is the acceptance of people with mental health issues. I've worked with several autistic people, or schizophrenics and several other mental health disorders (for lack of a better word) and the amount of times I've heard someone say "do you believe what your one said the last day?!" Um, that person has Aspergers so not only is it probably the most honest thing you'll ever hear, you have to give them a little leeway given they don't exact conform to society much (which is one of the thing I love).

Or the idea that there's something "wrong" with people with mental health issues is still very much alive, as in they're any less capable of doing something. This then starts to seep the people with the issues and they start to believe them... If I had a euro for every time someone told me they can't do something because they have *insert problem here*, I'd be rich... especially those who had absolutely no problem doing it, they were just told they couldn't.

There is a difference between clinical depression and self diagnosed depression. I had a bad experience with a flatmate that claimed depression. They tried to use it as an excuse for some pretty crappy behaviour.

There is a difference between clinical depression and self diagnosed depression. I had a bad experience with a flatmate that claimed depression. They tried to use it as an excuse for some pretty crappy behaviour.

I would imagine they would do that, whether they were officially diagnosed or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't quote 'cause I'm on the mobile.

@Potatoeman: How do you know that person wasn't depressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

My first knowledge of depression was when I was a kid, I'd hear my mum and her friend say, oh that poor thing suffers with her nerves, in hushed tones, this was the 80's, so my first feeling towards depression was negative. The thing is, my mum would be the first to feel sorry for someone who was suffering with it but the stigma was well and truly there.

I do believe some people hide behind "depression" and it allows them to go through life not accountable for anything and that sadly gives genuine cases a bad name. One of my good friends has depression and my god do you know she has it, the poor girl is going through pure hell and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I think it will take another generation for the stigma to go.

Can't quote 'cause I'm on the mobile.

@Potatoeman: How do you know that person wasn't depressed?

Whether they were or not wasnt the issue. They were just not considerate and tried to use depression as an excuse for their behaviour. Even if it was genuine it does not excuse how your actions impact others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I do believe some people hide behind "depression" and it allows them to go through life not accountable for anything and that sadly gives genuine cases a bad name. One of my good friends has depression and my god do you know she has it, the poor girl is going through pure hell and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I think it will take another generation for the stigma to go.

I'm not knocking your own experience here, but this type of attitude is part of the reason people don't seek help IMO. Depression looks different for everyone and there's no way of knowing how much someone is suffering in their own head, or behind closed doors. Just because they don't seem as obviously depressed as your friend that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with them.

It's that "Sure you're not depressed/What would you have to be depressed about? / I'll show you depression..." oneupmanship that annoys me. I wouldn't want to tell someone about my depression if I felt I had to provide evidence for it or not be believed. I've had that from a friend who I told once and it really hurt me. We're still friends, but I've never once talked to him about how I feel again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you ever tried ringing in sick to work saying you need a mental health day?

And you're a professional in the field. Not a positive reflection on the attitude generally, if service providers can't be straight up about it.

Semele wrote: »
    I'm not knocking your own experience here, but this type of attitude is part of the reason people don't seek help IMO. Depression looks different for everyone and there's no way of knowing how much someone is suffering in their own head, or behind closed doors. Just because they don't seem as obviously depressed as your friend that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with them.

It's that "Sure you're not depressed/What would you have to be depressed about? / I'll show you depression..." oneupmanship that annoys me. I wouldn't want to tell someone about my depression if I felt I had to provide evidence for it or not be believed. I've had that from a friend who I told once and it really hurt me. We're still friends, but I've never once talked to him about how I feel again.

My experience is with a girl who I worked alongside. I never had anything but sympathy for her plight nor would I dare guess at what she is going through however it soon became apparent that she wears her depression as a badge, she defines herself as a "depressed person". If she is late, it's because of her depression, if she can't do something, it's because of her depression and I say that as someone who knows it wasn't her depression that kept her late or lazy, I caught her out a few times lying. As I said I really wouldn't take away what she is going through but I don't think it's good to use your depression to not be accountable in life. I gave this girl the benefit of her depression for years and that's the truth, I would have been one of the only ones who did in our workplace so I honestly don't have the attitude you think I have. I just don't think it helps the overall view of depression when someone does what this girl does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Turtwig wrote: »
    When it comes to depression and suicide we've improved vastly in our attitudes and awareness.

I'm of the less common opinion that depression is extremely over diagnosed in society. If someone is stressed or feels down, there's doctors throwing drugs at them and telling that they have depression when really they're just feeling sad. It makes a mockery of the actual condition.

smash wrote: »
    I'm of the less common opinion that depression is extremely over diagnosed in society. If someone is stressed or feels down, there's doctors throwing drugs at them and telling that they have depression when really they're just feeling sad. It makes a mockery of the actual condition.

I agree completely. I had to stop going to a certain doctor because if he couldn't convince you it was depression, he didn't want to treat you. After going in with sleep problems, he was completely insistent it was depression, despite the fact I used to suffer from it so knew it wasn't. He was actually about to type out a prescription for anti depressants before I went to walk out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

smash wrote: »

I believe people with mental health issues are over medicated for sure. There are dozens of ways to tackle depression, through diet, meditation, excercise, hormone therapy etc. Psychiatry has a stranglehold on the field however and that means more drugs.

I disagree strongly that it is over-diagnosed. This country has had and continues to have massive mental health issues in the general populace. It was swept under the carpet for years.

Get people to own their mental health and help them map their way out of it in the way that suits them is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

My experience is with a girl who I worked alongside. I never had anything but sympathy for her plight nor would I dare guess at what she is going through however it soon became apparent that she wears her depression as a badge, she defines herself as a "depressed person". If she is late, it's because of her depression, if she can't do something, it's because of her depression and I say that as someone who knows it wasn't her depression that kept her late or lazy, I caught her out a few times lying. As I said I really wouldn't take away what she is going through but I don't think it's good to use your depression to not be accountable in life. I gave this girl the benefit of her depression for years and that's the truth, I would have been one of the only ones who did in our workplace so I honestly don't have the attitude you think I have. I just don't think it helps the overall view of depression when someone does what this girl does.

That makes it harder for people to exlain theselves whent they really feel like they cant do something. You would be afraid the person you are telling might have heard it all before from someone else who uses their mental illness as an excuse every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

Yurt! wrote: »
    I believe people with mental health issues are over medicated for sure. There are dozens of ways to tackle depression, through diet, meditation, excercise, hormone therapy etc. Psychiatry has a stranglehold on the field however and that means more drugs.

I disagree strongly that it is over-diagnosed. This country has had and continues to have massive mental health issues in the general populace. It was swept under the carpet for years.

Get people to own their mental health and help them map their way out of it in the way that suits them is the key.

Do you suffer from any mental health problems ?
    Have you ever felt like you've hit a wall and get upset and down and think negative things about yourself, it's like this Ferris wheel in your brain continuing over and over again, I'm on medication if I wasn't on medication I think I'd be a lot more depressed it's not something you snap out of by changing our diet like everything else it's genetics, I do meditation too, but there are days when I get so stressed I feel like driving somewhere with a hose and duck tape and finishing it all off, it's that simple

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    Have you ever felt like you've hit a wall and get upset and down and think negative things about yourself, it's like this Ferris wheel in your brain continuing over and over again, I'm on medication if I wasn't on medication I think I'd be a lot more depressed it's not something you snap out of by changing our diet like everything else it's genetics, I do meditation too, but there are days when I get so stressed I feel like driving somewhere with a hose and duck tape and finishing it all off, it's that simple

You may need medication, not everyone does though and diet has a very strong effect on it. It's not really anything to do with snapping out of it, it's working your way out of it through various means. You may even reach a point you don't need medication too.

That's similar to how my friend feels some days. My heart goes out to you. You sound like you are doing what you can to help yourself. I admire my friend so much, she does her best to keep herself aswell as she can, she stays away from known triggers to bringing her down and she is now doing meditation and yoga.

I think maybe the point the other poster was making is that a lot of doctors can throw tablets at some people who may not need them which I think we can all agree does go on a bit. To be fair to GP's, they don't have a lot of options when it comes to referring you to the mental health service, mental health services being poorly resourced in this country would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was fortunate to see Christina Perri live in the Olympia last week (fortunate in that she's my favourite singer) and right before the end of the show she dedicated a particular song to anyone within the room that was feeling down in themselves. It was a hug to anyone feeling that way and her way of saying that someone out there loves you, no matter what.

And I hit a brick wall. I had gone to the concert on my lonesome (not that I really minded that part, have been known to do it regularly) and was surrounded predominatedly by teenage girls as she would tend to cater for that demographic over my own (guy in his mid-twenties). And I found myself in a flood of tears, not necessarily at the beauty of a song (it was lovely) but more so at the message she conveyed before hand that it's okay not to be okay. I had been going through a bit of a bad spell for a few weeks leading up to the concert, in between monotony in work and GAA season ending disappointingly (as pathetic as letting sport affect you sounds) and genuinely got great comfort out of her raising awareness about mental health. Could literally feel my spirits lift there and then.

So I suppose what I am trying to say is I think there is a growing awareness towards mental health, although maybe it's rare for a public forum such as a concert to promote it. Kudos for Christina Perri for giving a shout out to her friends going through travails. Brilliant touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Robsweezie wrote: »
    How far do you think we have come as a society in regards to mental health awareness and acceptance of mental illness as no different to physical problems? are we where we should be? Have we done enough to conquer the stigma?

Just count yourself lucky you don't live in Spain - where they will chase you out of the surgery laughing and pointing at you ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

From personal experience, a few people I know dumped me like hot sh1t ignoring the blatantly obvious. They pretended all was ok and never asked because they did not want to know.

the health service is all about quick fixes, one size fits all & if you don't fit in that tough. All the group talking ensures the one or two love to hear their voices while the rest are afraid to say anything.

Any decent help is 3 years waiting lists, you are asked every time f you want to stay on it, bully you in to coming off the list.

There is no support for families or spouses, the attitude was tough, get on with it, step up and take the responsibility.

It's not a nice thing to admit, but the help is not worth the hassle,

No follow up, no accountability once the individual leaves hospital.

Sh1t service & attitudes from people

I have had recurring issues with mental health yes. And I identify with the dark thoughts you've outlined above.

I found that medication is a lottery and psychiatrists are in the business of fiddling with meds and convincing you that the latest super duper combination of drugs are curing your problem and getting you out of their office as quick as they can so they can say the same thing to the next person. Usually they act as a mask for other things. It's not holistic at all and I found attacking the issue from a number of different angles (finding a sport I liked, painting, being open with the right people and talking through things) has improved my mental wellbeing more than any drug. Recently I've been reading into the role hormone imbalances(which can fluctuate wildly throughout your life according to your genetics) have on mental wellbeing and triggers for depression. It's an area that is untouched by psychiatry and makes complete sense.

Evreyone's road out of the dark fog is different, I hope you find yours.

lazeedaisy wrote: »

the health service is all about quick fixes, one size fits all & if you don't fit in that tough. All the group talking ensures the one or two love to hear their voices while the rest are afraid to say anything.

Bingo, the system isn't really equipped to deal with the large variety of mental health problems that people present with.

I've recently come to accept that I'll have to battle with and look after my mental health for the rest of my life. Being aware of what I put into my body, being cautious of what situations I put myself in, being careful of what substances I take (psychoactive drugs are a big no no for me).

The mental health services in this country by in large seek to bandage you up and send you on your way. The problems are particularly acute for people without an understanding suppourt network, these are the people that fall through the cracks for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Irish attitudes to mental health are abysmal.

It will take many years before it will be accepted.

• Advertisement

I totally agree that a holistic approach is important whether that be in conjunction with drugs or not.

Knowing situations that will trigger down episodes is very important. It is also very important to do things that make you happy/help your mental well being.

I speak from experience, I got diagnosed with a chemical imbalance about 8 years ago, I was prescribed an SSRI, this was after years of feeling down and therapy to try and overcome it. Over the years I've learnt to stay away from situations and people that don't add to my day and I do certain things that make me happy. This approach has helped me to finish with SSRI's in the next week or so.

That's my experience. I don't know if what I have is depression, I was never quite sure of where chemical imbalances fall into in depressions. I don't know if I can stay without SSRI's but I am going to try. I feel well, I never really had anxiety so I'm hoping I now don't get the downers that I used to. I feel incredibly lucky that this is where I am at now.

The reason I want to come off the drug I'm on is that I absolutely hate it, it is Efexor XL 150mg, I used to be on Cipramil up until two years ago. It numbed me and it really is a scary drug, if you forget it for even a few hours the withdrawals are horrible. The tapering off has not been a party. I know we all make our own choices ultimately but I am annoyed with my GP for putting me on this drug. Her guidance on coming down off of it could have really harmed me as there is no fast way of coming off Efexor, she wanted me down from 150mg to nothing in 8 days. I decided to do it my way and I've managed to get through life by doing so. Who knows, I may need an SSRI again but it sure as hell won't be Efexor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Help me with this. I understand a stomach bug. It can last a day and be completely debilitating and then be gone 24 hours later. What's the mental health equivalent to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

In my work, I have to cover my arms/wear long sleeves.

I have scars from being a self-harmer. I'm clean now...but it's not accepted.
    In the UK, it's a bit easier, in that, if your doctor signs you off as "clean", you're not watch and questioned constantly, it's accepted that you were ill, and are of sound mind now. Scars or no scars.
    Here, it's not like that, and it won't be for awhile.

Now some employers are great, but they're still wary of you..like you're going to bring a knife to work and stab everyone one day.
    .....................................:/

The stigma is fading, but it will take time, alot of time.

And older people aren't changing. My grandmother when a 50year old had commited suicide, said "ah now, she was half way through her life, would she not have the cop on to continue it"....... ..I had no words. (sad part is, she worked in a mental hospital until she got married and had to quit.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

In my work, I have to cover my arms/wear long sleeves.

I have scars from being a self-harmer. I'm clean now...but it's not accepted.
    In the UK, it's a bit easier, in that, if your doctor signs you off as "clean", you're not watch and questioned constantly, it's accepted that you were ill, and are of sound mind now. Scars or no scars.
    Here, it's not like that, and it won't be for awhile.

Now some employers are great, but they're still wary of you..like you're going to bring a knife to work and stab everyone one day.
    .....................................:/

The stigma is fading, but it will take time, alot of time.

And older people aren't changing. My grandmother when a 50year old had commited suicide, said "ah now, she was half way through her life, would she not have the cop on to continue it"....... ..I had no words. (sad part is, she worked in a mental hospital until she got married and had to quit.)

I think it depends on what kind of G.P you have in the U.K. Some G.Ps in the U.K will see parents with mental illness as posing a higher risk for neglect or abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

humbert wrote:
    Help me with this. I understand a stomach bug. It can last a day and be completely debilitating and then be gone 24 hours later. What's the mental health equivalent to that?

I don't suffer depression, but I am on meds for pretty bad anxiety (I also meditate, and play sport to help with things and I'm hoping to be off the meds within the next year) but some days getting out of bed is huge. Yesterday for example, from the moment I opened my eyes I was overwhelmed. It's hard to fully describe the feeling. I could have used a "mental health day" but I had no physical symptoms and I felt like I couldnt ring my boss and tell the truth.

I had to take sick leave for this last year for 4 weeks but I really struggled with it, for some reason even I didnt feel justified in taking the time off even with my gp counsellor, family and friends telling me I needed it. If I had had a broken leg or stomach flu I wouldnt have thought twice. Its because my symptoms werent physical i felt it couldnt be justified. I seem to have digressed but I guess if mental health issues were more widely accepted I wouldnt have questioned it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I think it depends on what kind of G.P you have in the U.K. Some G.Ps in the U.K will see parents with mental illness as posing a higher risk for neglect or abuse.

I suppose, point was, if they clear you, the work place doesn't question it.

Here they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I think Ireland has started to accept depression and suicidal ideation as a real problem.

Other things, like ptsd, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia - nope. Massive stigma, in my own experience.

I have bipolar and anxiety. I had PTSD for a number of years.

To this day, I can't tell my family or friends that I have bipolar and anxiety, because they think people with them are 'psycho.' they assume I have depression, and because of the stuff they've said about other mental illnesses, I let them think I'm depressed.

My mam and my boyfriend know about the true state of my mental health, and are very supportive. My boyfriend has never experienced mental health difficulties, but supports me because he loves me. My mam has been severely depressed, and even hospitalised after suicide attempts when I was a child, so she understands completely and is proud of me.

I'm lucky, though. I overcame the PTSD after a lot of meds and therapy. My bipolar is under control, and I'm off of the medication I was on for it. I'm only on one medication, an antidepressant. It helps with anxiety, because I can't take benzos. I seriously dread to think what it's like to deal with people who don't understand mental illness, while NOT being stabilised. I don't know how any unstable person could cope with the stigma.

I think Ireland has started to accept depression and suicidal ideation as a real problem.

Other things, like ptsd, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia - nope. Massive stigma, in my own experience.

Big time. Any of the above mental health issues are mentioned if you're male they think the person is one step from going Hannibal Lector or Ted Bundy and if you're a female you're a crazy cat lady.

The vast vast majority of people with the above issues are not dangerous to anyone.

Mass media characterizations don't help. In fairness society is learning, albeit slowly.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Big time. Any of the above mental health issues are mentioned if you're male they think the person is one step from going Hannibal Lector or Ted Bundy and if you're a female you're a crazy cat lady.

The vast vast majority of people with the above issues are not dangerous to anyone.

Mass media characterizations don't help. In fairness society is learning, albeit slowly.

I remember gently broaching the topic of ptsd with an ex, when i was trying to tell him about my mental health.

Lovely things he said included -

'sure only soldiers get ptsd, that's why it's called shell shock.'

'why are you anxious? You have nothing to worry about.'

'isn't bipolar the same as manic depression? So you get mental mood swings and get all manic and dangerous and stuff!'

'how come you don't seem crazy?'

Feckin' eejit. It's as though anything other than depression automatically = completely out of control and a danger to society.

It doesn't. My boyfriend knows I get anxious. He reassures me, and reminds me to think more rationally. With regards to the bipolar, he's told me many times that I'm incredibly grounded and level-headed, so he's proud I control it so well. My mam thinks similarly. I consider myself very lucky to have two understanding people in my life :)

Are you posting from sometime in the early 1960s? Haven't heard that used by anyone in years.

Common enough phrase where I come from, probably used more in country areas and by the older generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

You know I was thinking about this recently and I honestly think Ireland has made leaps in this department, there's so much more awareness and you can see that on here. I think they could learn a thing or two over here. I had a bizarre encounter with an admin at the university. I had some registration issues to sort out because I was late registering this year because I had a lot going on. I explain the situation in person to admin and I'm told that she won't do anything, that there's a system of appeal in place for late registration but that's only for very serious things like if someone's mother died...........

So I had to explain to this **** that I don't see how an illness that has the potential to be life threatening is not serious enough.

Way to go at keeping the stigma of shame alive, honestly you try to be strong and these people make it so hard.

Other times I've sought advice from advisors at the uni and been told why don't you just get a job. This is after explaining everything so she just immediately assumed I couldn't be too unwell to cope with the workload and that it was just about the work and I should just give up and get a job. Christ I just wanted to see what my options were with regards flexibility, something that is harder to manage in a job.

The same woman every time I spoke to her, I walk in and straight away she never asks me how I've been doing but instead tells me I look good and I seem good and I'm doing much better now. She has said things like.... oh. From what (lecturers name) was saying she was making it sound like you were really bad. But you're much better now? And I have to say no I was and I still am. And she keeps insisting but I look good and that's great and everything's great. I mean I never thought I'd have to explain that it's a mental illness and that it's about how I feel not how I look. It can take a physical toll as well but I find you mention that and people like to separate that problem and dismiss the important one, so they fail to see what the big problem is.

I had a friend with a similar misconception, after kind of dragging it out of me, I give him the benefit of a doubt and tell him, he straight away insists I look healthy so I couldn't be depressed. Unfortunately I told him too much and he judged every single thing and blamed me, said what have I got to worry about when there's so many people out there dying of cancer etc among many other crazy remarks including it was my fault an ex was abusive. I'm lucky that I'm aware at this point that he is saying all the things you should not say to someone with depression (same as how you can recognise the ignorance of some of the comments on this thread) and I do my best to explain it to him and I tell him that I'm strong enough now to handle what you're saying but other times I wouldn't be and please never say that to anyone else with depression. I explained to him that the things he was saying could be enough to send someone over the edge that was in the middle of that really dark place. Then he joked that he would be a great therapist because he would be no bull****, people would either get better or just kill themselves already.

So ye it's a little difficult to shake the shame when those are the kinds of things you're expecting a depressed person to be able to cope with hearing. So now I just (try to) look after myself, there are people that do need to know, you owe it to yourself to at least tell professionals but I have to be wary about what I share with other people or at the wrong time in order to look after myself too.

I'm sorry I'm just too busy being depressed :D Sometimes I would love to say that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

--LOS-- wrote: »
    You know I was thinking about this recently and I honestly think Ireland has made leaps in this department, there's so much more awareness and you can see that on here

I've a controversial opinion that relates specifically to suicide.
    Its possible that an increased openness and reduction of the stigma around suicide has actually had a negative impact.

If you look at the rate it can be seen that the increase to Irelands tragically high rate correlates broadly to an increased openness around the subject.

There's a good body of evidence around the idea of suicide clustering where an increased personal awareness of suicide significantly increases the risk of suicide, its not a massive leap to consider that this perhaps this operates at a broader scale.

I'm sure more accurate recording of cause of death may partially explain the increase I'm not sure if it explains all the increase particularly if one looks at the statistics and sees that it not a steady increase in rate or one period of a sudden jump.

Please keep in mind I'm not arguing for a re-stigmatization of mental health in Ireland, and unfortunately like probably any person (particularly males) of my age in Ireland I understand the trauma it causes and what an important issue it is, I just feel that perhaps this phenomenon needs to be examined in more detail before we assume that increased openness is always a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

The reason I want to come off the drug I'm on is that I absolutely hate it, it is Efexor XL 150mg, I used to be on Cipramil up until two years ago. It numbed me and it really is a scary drug, if you forget it for even a few hours the withdrawals are horrible. The tapering off has not been a party. I know we all make our own choices ultimately but I am annoyed with my GP for putting me on this drug. Her guidance on coming down off of it could have really harmed me as there is no fast way of coming off Efexor, she wanted me down from 150mg to nothing in 8 days. I decided to do it my way and I've managed to get through life by doing so. Who knows, I may need an SSRI again but it sure as hell won't be Efexor.
    Not the only time I've heard awful things about Efexor.
    Although I guess factors like the individual and the dosage need to be taken into consideration too, but I have heard more bad things about Efexor than any other meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's funny how a corrupt neo liberal s**thole run by gombeens and formerly run by paedo priests is in constant denial about suicide and mental health issues.

Another factor is the stereotype caricature that Irish males constantly feel they have to live up to or at least be keenly aware of even if they don't live up to it. Basically any Irish male who might be too studious, bookish, quiet, isn't downing 12 pints on a Friday night and doesn't seemingly possess loud vocal chords or a 'thick skin' is homophobically insulted, even when the overwhelming majority of such people are straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've a controversial opinion that relates specifically to suicide.
    Its possible that an increased openness and reduction of the stigma around suicide has actually had a negative impact.

If you look at the rate it can be seen that the increase to Irelands tragically high rate correlates broadly to an increased openness around the subject.

I'd agree. The other factor in the increases also related to reducing the stigma that your post sort of touched on is the recording of suicides. Back in the past there was heavy incentive to try disguise causes of death that were suicides as accidental or unknowns. Now the stigma is lifting the deaths are being more accurately recorded. But still underestimated. The science has improved greatly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I don't think there is little understanding or genuine knowledge there might be compassion but it's not awareness.

Too many lay people think they know what they are talking about. They should leave it to the professionals to deal with and help people. They can be doing more damage than they know.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    You know I was thinking about this recently and I honestly think Ireland has made leaps in this department, there's so much more awareness and you can see that on here. I think they could learn a thing or two over here. I had a bizarre encounter with an admin at the university. I had some registration issues to sort out because I was late registering this year because I had a lot going on. I explain the situation in person to admin and I'm told that she won't do anything, that there's a system of appeal in place for late registration but that's only for very serious things like if someone's mother died...........

So I had to explain to this **** that I don't see how an illness that has the potential to be life threatening is not serious enough.

I'm sorry I'm just too busy being depressed :D Sometimes I would love to say that

Isnt that normal for colleges though? If spaces are limited and you dont register in time you need a pretty good reason. If you cant manage something like registering on time how would you manage a course.

Isnt that normal for colleges though? If spaces are limited and you dont register in time you need a pretty good reason. If you cant manage something like registering on time how would you manage a course.

Mental illness IS a good reason.

Mental illness IS a good reason.

Im mean if you cant make a registration deadline how are you going to meet course deadlines?

Im mean if you cant make a registration deadline how are you going to meet course deadlines?

If you can't make registration because you go into anaphylaxis because of an allergy, how can you be trusted to go to college?

If you can't make registration because you go into anaphylaxis because of an allergy, how can you be trusted to go to college?

I imagine you would have a doctors note and be very carefull around food in future. I think the issue with depression is that it can be used as an excuse and is dependant on the person being honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement