Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gro bags

Options
  • 25-11-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Do you use blankets aswell or just grow bag? I have my babs bin a long sleeve vest, a fleece sleep suit and a warm looking quilt like gro bag. If the idea bis they keep baby warm if he kicks off blankets is the gro bag enough? I check back of his neck during the nite and he seems warm enough. I would worry about him being too warm naturally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I use a vest, baby gro/pjs and a 2.5 tog gro bag. Then I put a blanket over her before I go to bed.

Would a fleecy sleep suit and a gro bag be too much? I'd have though it was one or the other. When they were babies I was always afraid of overheating. Then I was always stressing that they were too cold. The joys of motherhood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What temperature is the room? That seems like a lot unless the room is freezing.

My 8 month old is in a short sleeve vest, long sleeve cotton babygrow and a 2.5 tog sleepsuit. Room is 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Have mine in babygro, 2.5 tog gro bag, cellular blanket and fleece quilt on top. The room would be about 21 degrees. It's probably too much but they usually end up in my bed anyway so would be that way for 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We are currently using just a long sleeved vest and 2.5 tog grobag. The temperature in her room varies between 19 and 21 degrees, usually around 20. When it gets colder we'll move to either a grobag with sleeves or putting a normal sleep suit over the vest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I usually have mine in a light longsleeve babygro and a grobag, no blankets etc. I used to put a vest on him, but don't bother anymore as the grobag is warm enough and the room isn't cold. He seems happy enough like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our 10 month old is in a short-sleeved vest and regular cotton babygro with 2 blankets over her.

Cannot stand those awful grobags. Despite what's said, they clearly inhibit movement and I know I'd hate to be restricted when I'm trying to sleep. I never understand why people do things to babies that they would never do themselves.

Also, overheating is very detrimental and even dangerous to a child's well-being whereas being momentarily cold is merely a discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fellas room is usually around 16-17 degrees at night and we have him in a long sleeved vest, fleece sleepsuit and 2.5 tog grobag. I was a bit anxious that he might get cold during the night but he has been fine so far. I've always been paranoid about him getting too warm and I reckon that if he gets cold, he'll wake up and let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Worrying over temperature at night has been the bane of my life over the last year! I used to be paranoid about overheating when he was really small, now I look back and wonder had I enough on him and was that why he was a terrible sleeper! I have more than once dressed him for bed, only to totally change the outfit because I have deemed it to much or too little!

Incidentally, the first night he slept through was when my sister was minding him and she put a blanket over the grobag. It might have simply been because I wasn't there and he was on his own in the room for the first time but I wondered if the blanket has a settling effect. It didn't work for me the next night!

So I am no help sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I have my son in a short sleeved vest, cotton babygrow and a 2.5 tog grobag. The room is usually at the ideal temp of 18/19 degrees (recommended by the grobag people!!!). No blankets over the grobag and he wanders about the cot during the night in his grobag with him never loosing heat. He's very unsettled if he's too hot and from time to time if it's hot it's just a babygrow or a long sleeved vest if the room is over 21 degrees or over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slumbersac. Co. Uk have a good bit of info on what to wear for each tog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Just one other thing I also got 1 tog bags and used them all through summer which were great in the warm weather

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

These are the instructions that came with my gro bags (pic). I sometimes have an extra vest on him, as I wouldn't want to wake him by taking it off. If I wake in middle of night and it's colder ib put a small blanket over his lower half of the gro bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

hsdklsnks wrote: »
    Despite what's said, they clearly inhibit movement and I know I'd hate to be restricted when I'm trying to sleep. I never understand why people do things to babies that they would never do themselves.

They're supposed to inhibit movement. Babies (newborns anyway) tend to wake themselves through the Moro reflex, which wrecks their sleep. Plenty of studies have shown that swaddling the baby doesn't harm them. Adult reflexes don't work the same way.

20% Off gift sets with voucher code NL-1214. Perfect for Christmas!

from http://slumbersac.co.uk/

We've a few of their bags and they're great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cannot stand those awful grobags. Despite what's said, they clearly inhibit movement and I know I'd hate to be restricted when I'm trying to sleep. I never understand why people do things to babies that they would never do themselves.

I quite like being all tucked up under a duvet myself. Even in hotels, when they have the top sheet tucked into the base I jump in the top trying not to dislodge it. Draughts in beds... Shudder!

I don't think the sleeping bags are restrictive at all. They are a sleeveless triangular sleeping bag, nearly the width of the cot. My eldest could run and climb in one. Stuck her feet into the corners and legged it around the bedroom! They need to make sack races an Olympic sport for her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

pwurple wrote: »
    I quite like being all tucked up under a duvet myself. Even in hotels, when they have the top sheet tucked into the base I jump in the top trying not to dislodge it. Draughts in beds... Shudder!

I don't think the sleeping bags are restrictive at all. They are a sleeveless triangular sleeping bag, nearly the width of the cot. My eldest could run and climb in one. Stuck her feet into the corners and legged it around the bedroom! They need to make sack races an Olympic sport for her. :D

Couldn't agree more! I've never seen someone move around when asleep as much as my girl. The blankets would be useless to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

20% Off gift sets with voucher code NL-1214. Perfect for Christmas!

from http://slumbersac.co.uk/

We've a few of their bags and they're great quality.

This website is great! Such a variety and awesome that they come in size 3-6 yo. My guy is only 2 but I feel the ones he is using are quite small for him (18-36months). Do u know if they ever have sales on? Wondering whether to just buy now or hold off until a sale...

The 20% seems only to be on the baby sizes gift sets.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    This website is great! Such a variety and awesome that they come in size 3-6 yo. My guy is only 2 but I feel the ones he is using are quite small for him (18-36months). Do u know if they ever have sales on? Wondering whether to just buy now or hold off until a sale...

The 20% seems only to be on the baby sizes gift sets.

Try here http://slumbersac.co.uk/offers-offers.html
    The 3-6 is huge. I got it for my year old. He's tall but swimming in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Try here http://slumbersac.co.uk/offers-offers.html
    The 3-6 is huge. I got it for my year old. He's tall but swimming in it.

Thanks for that. Hmmm wondering about the 3-6 now. I want something that will be quite big on him but still safe. He turns and twists a lot and all the 18-36 are really restrictive length wise and around the arm pits....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 starlight baby

My daughter uses a grobag with long sleeve babygro but also check room temperature, the gro eggs are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

pwurple wrote: »

Same here, I need to be nearly swaddled myself! I can't sleep unless I've something over me and gathered around me, even in the heat of summer here in the US.

AFAIK a major pro for the gro bags is that babies can't kick them off and up onto their faces during the night, unlike loose blankets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Our 10 month old is in a short-sleeved vest and regular cotton babygro with 2 blankets over her.

Also, overheating is very detrimental and even dangerous to a child's well-being whereas being momentarily cold is merely a discomfort.

Have you thought about what you're going to do when she's moving a bit more? ;)

My son is the same age and will not stay still in his cot. He moves all over it into all sorts of positions several times a night (and the grobag certainly doesn't hinder his movement in any way!)

Using two cellular blankets was fine for the first few months when he'd lie still on his back and wasn't able to roll or crawl etc, but now, they'd be off him in seconds, and he'd be left uncovered all night.

The other problem with using even cellular blankets once they're more mobile is that they're a suffocation hazard. They are breathable, but not so much so if the blanket gets rolled up in a ball and baby decides to mush their face into it while asleep. (I know my baby would - he loves sleeping on his tummy, and also loves snuggling up to anything soft.) There is no risk of this with grobags. From a safety point of view, it's best not to have loose blankets or anything else loose in the cot.

Advertisement