Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal stance on opening/upgrading PC's?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a PC from a seller in the UK. I had two problems. 1) It was not as described - the computer had a different graphics card as was described. They told me to take pictures of the card I did receive so they could work out a solution.

Then I discovered that the RAM was faulty, it doesn't pass memtest86, replaced it and now PC working fine.

Contacted user who told me that opening the case renders warranty void and that's it, nothing they can do (even though they originally told me to take pictures of the wrong card...).

I can't seem to find an answer on this, but what I'm wondering is, is it legal to declare a warranty void if you open a PC (it did have a sticker on it)? I know none of the big manufacturers do this, in fact most of them have guides on how to replace ram/video card etc in manuals.

It's not a huge deal as it was only €20 to replace the ram but it's more the nerve of the seller telling me to open case to take pictures of the card, then telling me in the next message that the warranty was invalid once the case had been opened when I informed them the RAM was faulty.

I've seen people that under EU law you can't bar a user from opening/upgrading a PC, but not sure where to look! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Warranties are an addition to your rights, contact the European Consumer Centre for how to deal with a company outside Ireland.

The fact that item wasn't as advertised has no relevance to the warranty the company offers or the fact that you opened it and discovered it wasn't what you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

As stated above, this is not a warranty issue. How did you pay for your order? If it was via paypal then lodge a dispute with them citing goods not as described. If my credit card then give them some time to fix the problem and then issue a chargeback with your bank (When they refuse, and they will, insist that they do it, I have done it successfully in the past for not as described items when the seller fobbed me off).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

which company

report them to English trading standards company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

braddun wrote: »
    which company

report them to English trading standards company
    The Trading Standards Institute does not deal with individual consumer complaints though. The OP would be better off contacting the ECC in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Last time I checked Trading Standards was done on a County basis in the UK by the County Council. It would be worth calling the relevant authority and making a complaint because there could be a string of other complaints.

As an example here is a link to Hampshire County Concils Trading standards enforcement policy

I wouldn't however expect them to sort the problem out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement