Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break out of Crate

• 25-11-2014 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

We got a 7 month old Lab over the weekend - she'd been an outdoor dog and lived with her sister but we want to make her more used to being indoors and alone. We've been crate training her and for the most part it's been going really well. She wonders into the crate of her own free will seems comfortable enough there during the day. We want to crate to become her bed and for her to sleep in it but last night she broke out of her crate.

Due to some epic divine intervention she didn't destroy anything, pee anywhere or do anything really bold. We're not sure whether we should bother trying to put her in the crate again tonight since she's made it clear she can get out.
    We've been trying to decide whether to put her out or let her sleep in a basket by our bedroom door. I'd be interested in other people's experiences and suggestions? Should we rethink sleeping arrangements or just try the crate again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Are you 100% certain that the crate was fully closed? I only ask because my cat who is crated at night, will occasionally break out (and will poo and pee everywhere!) and after leaving a camera in there for a few nights we realised that if the top lock on the side door wasn't closed, he could somehow wiggle open the bottom one and free himself to poo and pee wherever he should choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Are you 100% certain that the crate was fully closed?

She'd managed to unlatch the side wall and crawled out that way. We're thinking of plastic ties to make it more secure and hold it closed but I'd worry that they will be hazard (she'll chew on them and maybe swallow them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dortilolma wrote: »
    She'd managed to unlatch the side wall and crawled out that way. We're thinking of plastic ties to make it more secure and hold it closed but I'd worry that they will be hazard (she'll chew on them and maybe swallow them).

I have a crate that has short latches and was worried my dog would open it when he was on crate rest so used velcro ties to be sure it was closed ;)

If you only got her at the weekend though and whole night is probably too much for her in the crate - especially if she's not house trained yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I had a visiting lab during the summer who loved her crate, until she got bored and wanted out to chew something as she was a chewing DEMON. According to her owners she chewed every bed she ever got, every toy she ever got, every collar and harness off their other dog. And could open the crate by licking the locks to get out and chew everything she could get her mouth around in her home. Her owners solution was to put about 10 caribiner clips around the edge of the crate if she had to be left alone, it was the only way she could be kept confined and the rest of the house safe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You have only had her a few days.
    She is only getting used to her crate
    She has been sleeping outdoors
    SHe is missing her sister
    She is very young
    She doesnt know her new home or humans yet
    I would be patient and realize that this is her learning experience
    Put her in the crate again tonight
    A nice big juicy bone would be good (or long lasting treat)
    Maybe come down at some stage in the night and let her out of the crate for a toilet break?
    Maybe leave a radio on nearby for company
    Leave her crate door open during the day with her bedding and nice comfy blanket in there, so she can wander in/out and realize her crate is a good place
    Good luck with your new dog!

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone - we are already doing a lot of what has been mentioned. We've been researching like crazy (www.labradortraininghq.com for example) as we want to do this right.

She is fine with the crate during the day - it's open and she does wonder in and out. We feed her in the crate and all her treats are had in there (we won't give her treats outside the crate). I'm just worried she'll hurt herself if she tries the escaping trick again so want to secure the walls of the crate as well as possible. Thanks for your suggestions - we'll put her back in tonight and see how she gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you do close her in the crate when leaving her alone, take her collar off. If she's a contortionist who will do her utmost to escape there's a small chance that her collar could get caught in the crate and choke her. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you do close her in the crate when leaving her alone, take her collar off. If she's a contortionist who will do her utmost to escape there's a small chance that her collar could get caught in the crate and choke her. Better to be safe than sorry.

+1 When Lucy when she was a puppy the tag on the collar caught in the bars of the crate(!)

OP are you closing the crate during the day - eg when you're feeding her or when you give her treats? If so build up how long you leave her when she's finished eating before you let her out.

Yep - we're doing that. We're pretty careful. I couldn't sleep the first night because I was worried she'd find some way to hurt herself.

tk123 wrote:
    OP are you closing the crate during the day - eg when you're feeding her or when you give her treats?

A bit - but probably not as much as I should be. I'll try that a bit more today.

Advertisement