Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hughes in critical condition after being hit by a bouncer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

So sad. What a tragic loss. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Sad to see a young life taken away in such an accident may he R.I.P (sorry also for the bowler).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

RIP Phil Hughes. Absolutely tragic. Didn't think this was a possibility, thought a full recovery would be made. Poor Sean Abbott as well. Only 22 - he may never recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

RIP Phil. My thoughts are with his family and friends as well as Sean Abbott. I wish them all strength in this trying time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I thought they wore helmets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

braddun wrote: »
    I thought they wore helmets

They do, hit him in the neck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Very sad news.

Thoughts go to Sean Abbott too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lapin wrote: »
    Very sad news.

Thoughts go to Sean Abbott too.

From what I have read Clarke and Hughes sister have reached out to him which is very touching. He shouldn't blame himself and everyone will tell him that, but its going to be hard for him to come back. He can bat a bit so if he does it maybe as a batsman only. Won't criticise his choice either way.

anyways

Cricket Australia posted this tribute, I'd defy anyone not to have at least a tear watching it. :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=51062&d=1417096390

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Very sad, so young as well, he was already a top batsman but I genuinely think his best was still to come, not that matters now. Gone far too young.

Thoughts as well with Sean Abbott, I don't know how he will deal with this, he must be a broken man, only 22 himself and will have to carry this around for the rest of his life.

This is a real sporting tragedy.

Very touching video there as well.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thought people might like to check out this moving tribute on Twitter https://twitter.com/hashtag/putoutyourbats?src=hash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

https://www.google.com.au

Well played google oz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's class from Google.

I just heard that they are ditherring about the test match next weeek. I am wondering how on earth they could possibly let it go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd say it will be postponed alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Rjd2 wrote: »
    From what I have read Clarke and Hughes sister have reached out to him which is very touching. He shouldn't blame himself and everyone will tell him that, but its going to be hard for him to come back. He can bat a bit so if he does it maybe as a batsman only. Won't criticise his choice either way.

anyways

Cricket Australia posted this tribute, I'd defy anyone not to have at least a tear watching it. :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=51062&d=1417096390

At about 2.52 in that vid is he high-fiving sean abbott?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

cookie24 wrote: »
    At about 2.52 in that vid is he high-fiving sean abbott?

No thats Moises Henriques.

I'd say in some way a piece of Sean Abbott died as well. Hard to see anyone coming back from a tragedy like this, and even if he does continue to play would he be able to put this behind him. What would be going through his mind at the top of his run-up. At least Phil is at rest, this poor young man will be tormented for the rest of his days. I pray he is looked after well.

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's class from Google.

I just heard that they are ditherring about the test match next weeek. I am wondering how on earth they could possibly let it go ahead.

Perplexed how it could, funeral will only be a day or so before the test match.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-hughes-tragedy-players-not-ready-for-test-against-india/story-fnqlmrtk-1227138910082

Supposedly the players don't want to play which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Rjd2 wrote: »

Heartbreaking stuff there, he obviously meant alot to Clarke and the other guys on the Australian team. RIP Phil Hughes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RIP Phil Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Start of the test match has been correctly postponed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yeah, absolutely the correct decision. I'd have been very disappointed if they hadn't postponed it

KevIRL wrote: »
    Start of the test match has been correctly postponed

Well thank goodness sense had prevailed here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You'd wonder if it's not only Abbott that may struggle to play and the legacy for Australia. Haddin, Lyon, Watson and Warner in particular having been on the pitch and close by.

I'd tend to agree with Chappell that the best thing might be for them to play

I personally don't think it would do any players any favours going to the man's funeral on Wednesday, then be expected to play Thursday. Besides, its not just about getting the players back to normal and getting over things, its about showing Hughes some respect, business as usual after burying him just strikes me as completely graceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its not directly related to this thread, more a similar incident.

An Israeli umpire has died after being hit by a cricket ball in the jaw, I have no other details yet as I am in work but it is crazy to think two such similar incidents in less then a week considering how rare a serious/fatal injury is in cricket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

kryogen wrote: »
    Its not directly related to this thread, more a similar incident.

An Israeli umpire has died after being hit by a cricket ball in the jaw, I have no other details yet as I am in work but it is crazy to think two such similar incidents in less then a week considering how rare a serious/fatal injury is in cricket

Details here - http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.629120

Hit on the heart from a straight drive, had a heart attack as a consequence. Very sad.

Very sad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Watched the video of the ball that hit Phil Hughes ..... Simply cannot believe somebody could even get killed playing cricket

It's tragic that such a young life has been cut short doing what he loves doing - playing cricket

Phil Hughes 63* ..... On what would have been his 26th b'day today

Travelling around India at present and even for a cricket crazy nation like ours the Media and TV coverage of this incident has been overwhelming.Read in the newspapers today that Star Sports plan to telecast his funeral live here in India using the Channel 9 feed

It will be an emotional moment, particularly for his family and his Aussie team mates and I can't see how they are going to be ready to play a Test match soon thereafter

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

booth70 wrote: »
    Phil Hughes 63* .....
    Official score has been changed from 63 (retired hurt) to 63 not out

A touching gesture from Cricket Australia

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Official score has been changed from 63 (retired hurt) to 63 not out

A touching gesture from Cricket Australia

Just read about this here:

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/phillip-hughes-to-remain-63-not-out/2014-11-30

Class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement