Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Lot Coming From China

Options
  • 25-11-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi all,

Id really like any advice on the following,

I am importing a small packet of watches from China valued at $50. They will come from China to Limerick by DHL and the packet will be clearly marked value $50. Will I have to pay customs an amount on this order and if so will I pay it at my door or to customs office or what ? Also will I need a vat or registered business number. Id really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hi all,

Id really like any advice on the following,

I am importing a small packet of watches from China valued at $50. They will come from China to Limerick by DHL and the packet will be clearly marked value $50. Will I have to pay customs an amount on this order and if so will I pay it at my door or to customs office or what ? Also will I need a vat or registered business number. Id really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

I think the cut off is €22 I think with dhl they take the money on delivery. We've had a couple of deliveries from them and I seem to remember that being the case they may also charge you a fee I can't remember their admin fee but FedEx is €10.75 get in touch with them to find out for sure.

Are you importing for resale? If so then youbare running a business so should be registered as one. VAT registration is only mandatory if you are trading at a certain level €37.5k or €75k depending on the type of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

@jimmii Thanks for that information ill give DHL a call today. Do you mean I could have to pay up to 22 euro on customs and vat for $50 package plus an admin fee ? Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Once the import is over €22 VAT is due. Some times it can get missed but that seems unlikely with it going via DHL you can use this to work out how much it is likely to be.

Thanks Jimmii that is a great help. Thanks again

No problem

• Advertisement

Sorry to bother you again, but can you help me with this. Thanks.

Watches value $50 about 41 euro so vat is payable on 41 euro.
    Customs, as the watches are under 150 euro, there is no customs duty payable.
    DHL will charge me a handling fee of between 5 to 15 euro.
    Is vat payable at 23% ?
    Is all the above correct ? I have been looking up other threads on here and that's the information I have been getting.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

Did you use that calculator I linked above? Entering 10 watches with a value of $50 with no insurance or delivery costs gives a customs value of €40.41 and VAT on that of €9.30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Pretty much spot on yes.

Your package in euro's is €41 just for sake of argument, so it'll be 23% of €41 which we'll say €9.50.

Then a handling charge by the courier for paying the vat in advance on your behalf etc is €7 for An Post, private couriers tend to be about €10 - €15. I had DHL last week and it was €10 so we'll assume that. So your bill would be €19.50 to pay at the door to the DHL courier. To be on the safe side have an extra €5 in your pocket on the odd chance you are charged €15 but it should only be about €10.

In future if you are ordering, a tip to note is that the likes of DHL & Fedex always declare your stuff to customs. An Post has a better chance of an item slipping through and not being sent to customs. Smallest packages usually get through but there's never any guarantee.

@jimmii Yes I used the calculator, it was a great help and thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate it.

@yawns Thanks a lot for taken the time to reply to this post, I really appreciate it and your advice was a great help.

Advertisement