Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre to Blanchardstown

Options
  • 25-11-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi everyone, will be staying in the city centre next week and planning to go to blanchardstown for shopping now I have a small bit of knowledge of dublin but I'm just wondering which way is better to head to blanchardstown?

I would be coming from Parnell street Dublin.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

38 or 38a from parnel square will get you there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I was thinking the 38 38A but they don't go through the centre.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Examples/Google-Map/?routeNumber=38&direction=IO&towards=Damastown&from=Burlington+Rd.

You'd be better off walking to the quays from Parnell Street and getting the 39

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/39/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

39A actually goes into the centre and avoids Blanchardstown village so definitely the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Thanks! Would I be crazy trying to drive out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

39a is a much better bus than the 39. The 39 goes through the village and around the back of the centre before actually going into, the a skips the village and goes straight from the Navan Rd, onto the N3 and in to the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

It's quite a quick drive from Parnell Street. Traffic would be getting worse in the evenings and weekends getting closer to Christmas though.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Depends on the time of the day. From 4-7ish, traffic out of town can be mad and I'd imagine with Christmas shopping over the next few weeks, the evenings will be busy but I'd imagine the mornings and early afternoons you'd be alright in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

39A is the better option by bus alright.

If you can go early morning mid-week driving you'd be fine. Take the second Blanchardstown Centre Exit, keep left and get ready for a sharp bend left, much quicker.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Parnell+St,+Dublin,+Co.+Dublin/53.3952667,-6.390166/@53.3925856,-6.3773593,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e814ba42539:0x3eebd04f7462c124!2m2!1d-6.2631151!2d53.3518695!1m0?hl=en

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

39 or 37 are your best bets. As mentioned above 39a is more direct but depending on the time of day the other routes are fine.

Again, depending on the time of day driving would be fine. If you get out onto the quays and come through the park it's not far. Really depends on time of day though.

Think i will Leave the car in hotel and just go with the bus option sounds a lot better & quicker thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi everyone, will be staying in the city centre next week and planning to go to blanchardstown for shopping now I have a small bit of knowledge of dublin but I'm just wondering which way is better to head to blanchardstown?

I would be coming from Parnell street Dublin.

Thanks in advance :)

What shops are you going out there for, if you don't mind my asking? A lot of the shops that are in the Blanch shopping centre are also in town.

Anyway, if you do go out there, the 39a is you best bet, as others have said. It goes from Aston Quay. Walk down O'Connell St. Go over O'Connell Bridge. Turn right immediately after the bridge & you are on Aston Quay. The bus stop will be about half way down. I think its in front of a bookies.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What shops are you going out there for, if you don't mind my asking? A lot of the shops that are in the Blanch shopping centre are also in town.

Anyway, if you do go out there, the 39a is you best bet, as others have said. It goes from Aston Quay. Walk down O'Connell St. Go over O'Connell Bridge. Turn right immediately after the bridge & you are on Aston Quay. The bus stop will be about half way down. I think its in front of a bookies.

Not any shop In particular but haven't been in Blanchardstown in years so just want to give it a visit. Come to Dublin every year shopping and we always do city centre just want to give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

If you have a car then I would say drive. At least that way you can put your shopping bags in the boot and won't have to worry about carrying too much on a bus that might be packed.

It's a straight forward enough trip and parking is free in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're leaving the car in the city center why not take the Luas to Dundrum instead. The bus journey to Blanch can be painfully slow sometimes whereas the Luas is quick and reliable and its a nice walk from Parnell St to St.Stephens Green. Blanch shopping center is pretty decent all up but its just a bit tired at this stage IMO.

Not any shop In particular but haven't been in Blanchardstown in years so just want to give it a visit. Come to Dublin every year shopping and we always do city centre just want to give it a try :)

Fair enough, but I honestly don't think its worth the trip. The Debenhams, Marks & Spencers and Wallis shops are no where near as big as the town branches. All the other shops are pretty bog standard versions of what you'd find else where. The food options are also pretty dull.

If you want to go some where new or different, I'd agree with the above poster and give Dundrum a whirl. The green line Luas (over at St Stephens Green) will take you to its very door. There are loads of shops & restaurants there, that you won't find in town. They may even have their ice rink set up by the time you get here.

Fair enough, but I honestly don't think its worth the trip. The Debenhams, Marks & Spencers and Wallis shops are no where near as big as the town branches. All the other shops are pretty bog standard versions of what you'd find else where. The food options are also pretty dull.

Food options are probably the best they've ever been in Blanchardstown. That said it's 99.9% chain restaurants so you'll get them in town too probably.

Nandos, Marks and Spencers cafe, Dunnes cafe, Kays cafe, loads of fast food choice, loads of places to have a coffee & muffin. Meh !

Is there one single place in the entire centre, where you can sit down and have a "proper" meal, with waiter service and maybe a decent glass of wine? There may be on the perimeter. I don't think there is inside. I don't go to Dundrum, all that often, as its a bit of a trek from where I live. But when I do go there, the various eating options are a big attraction.

Nandos, Marks and Spencers cafe, Dunnes cafe, Kays cafe, loads of fast food choice, loads of places to have a coffee & muffin. Meh !

Is there one single place in the entire centre, where you can sit down and have a "proper" meal, with waiter service and maybe a decent glass of wine? There may be on the perimeter. I don't think there is inside. I don't go to Dundrum, all that often, as its a bit of a trek from where I live. But when I do go there, the various eating options are a big attraction.

I agree the Blanch options are pretty poor but they are better now than they were a few years ago. Milanos is pretty decent, other than that the hotel is your best option for proper food.

Yeah, was forgetting Milano's.

It would be great if there were more like them. For such a massive shopping centre, there should be. I just get irritated when I have to stand in a cafe queue with my bags & shuffle along with the tray & the bags, figuring out what I want, with other people & baby buggies pushing to get past me. I'm lazy. I like plopping down in a seat with my bags, being handed a menu & letting others do all the work. Hence my liking Dundrum so much. :D

I agree. Kays do some really nice food but it's a pain trying to negotiate it with a tray and bags and then a herd of other people with trays not looking where they're going. Too stressful!

• Advertisement

Yep. Kays do a great build-your-own stir fry. (I'd also be a fan of eating food that is kinda cooked to order, instead of the usual lasagnes and chicken curries and shepherds pies, that were probably cooked in a factory on the Long Mile Road at 7 that morning.) But then when you get your lovely Kays stir fry, good luck to you finding an effing table ! :mad:

I used to live in the States, so I guess I was just spoiled by having the likes of Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Longhorn Steaks etc at every mall. Or Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGI Fridays & Applebees if you were slumming it. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

why go all the way to Blanchardstown

theres more choice in town

I would drive

braddun wrote: »
    why go all the way to Blanchardstown

theres more choice in town

I would drive

The OP has already explained why they want to go to Blanchardstown.

Thanks everyone for all advice going to drive and head to blanchardstown will definitely give dundrum a go next visit :)

Thanks everyone for all advice going to drive and head to blanchardstown will definitely give dundrum a go next visit :)

If you do drive the traffic can be pretty mental around closing time especially on Saturday/Sunday and late nights. You'd want to be out of there at least 2 hours before closing.

If you do drive the traffic can be pretty mental around closing time especially on Saturday/Sunday and late nights. You'd want to be out of there at least 2 hours before closing.

Thanks going there of a thursday going to get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats true, everything out in Blanch seems to be chain fast food more or less. They really dont have anything out there that you can't find elsewhere which is a pity IMO. The nearest place I can think of where you can get a decent sit down meal that isn't a chain is the 12th Lock pub. Theres probably a few other spots in Blanch village but at the shopping centre itself its lacking.

I love Ananda in Dundrum, some of the best Indian food in Dublin and right there in the shopping centre.

Advertisement