Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 6D problems?

• 25-11-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hey,
    Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. But lately I noticed that my 6D started acting up. From time to time it seems like it just goes to hibernation? When you do a couple of shots and would like to view them it just freezes, first I thought that its just buffer is full or its writing to memory card but it happens even if you take one shot it just freezes for 30s or so. The only thing that works at the time is top LCD, no other button or main LCD seem to respond. Does it happened to someone else? Should I be worry about that? I wrote to canon and they want me to send the camera but it will cost me just for them to have a look even if they wont find any fault, and I don't want to spend money especially before Christmas period...
    So any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How old is the camera?

It sounds like a firmware issue, is there an update for the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

How old is the camera?

It sounds like a firmware issue, is there an update for the camera?

Its 2,5 years now, I have updated it mabe half a year ago, never noticed anything after the update, and it started acting up a couple of weeks ago, but that's actually a good idea to reinstall update, thanks for that. But its really strange as it's showing that it metres on top screen just nothing else works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nerro wrote: »
    Its 2,5 years now, I have updated it mabe half a year ago, never noticed anything after the update, and it started acting up a couple of weeks ago, but that's actually a good idea to reinstall update, thanks for that. But its really strange as it's showing that it metres on top screen just nothing else works.

I would be careful updating the firmware given what you've said. If it were to freeze in the middle of the process you could completely hose the camera.

Have you googled around to see if others report the same?

I would do research to see if others have seen this issue, and see if they have found a solution. And also check to see if there is indeed a firmware update for your model.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

I'd try a different memory card for a while, just to eliminate that being your problem.
    Maybe you're memory card has a slow write speed, combined with having high ISO noise reduction turned on, which can also take a little longer.

I have done research on that, it actually happens to some but the difference is that in their case it completely freezes and you have to pull the battery out. In my case on/off switch still works and the metereing seems to work as well, and it comes to life after 30s or so, its just all other buttons and main LCD goes on Holliday's for that period of time. And it only happens when you try to view shots that you taken, well at least so far. Never the less thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement

IHPhoto wrote: »
    I'd try a different memory card for a while, just to eliminate that being your problem.
    Maybe you're memory card has a slow write speed, combined with having high ISO noise reduction turned on, which can also take a little longer.

I actually tried 3 different cards and even went as far as try it out with different lenses as my main one is sigma so thought the problem may lie there, but still the same. It was suggested that my battery may be close to its end of life and didn't hold the charge but getting new original canon one didn't solve the problem.

Advertisement