Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do all engines have a balance shaft?

• 25-11-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find online if the '07 Kia Sportage CRDI has a balance shaft but can't find a definitive answer. Having some intermittent engine shaking, more so than the usual vibrations. As this issue is not constant, would that eliminate a faulty mount(s). I'm assuming if one or more mounts were faulty, the vibration would be constant. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find online if the '07 Kia Sportage CRDI has a balance shaft but can't find a definitive answer. Having some intermittent engine shaking, more so than the usual vibrations. As this issue is not constant, would that eliminate a faulty mount(s). I'm assuming if one or more mounts were faulty, the vibration would be constant. Cheers.

Duel mass flywheel more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Duel mass flywheel more than likely.

Is that a symptom of DMF on the way out? Getting serious vibrations when revs hit between 2000-2400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

All 4 cylinder engines have balance shaft.

It could be misfire, clutch, engine mount rather than the balance shaft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

fleex wrote: »

No they don't. It's entirely down to whether the manufacturer designed it with one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

It could be misfire, clutch, engine mount rather than the balance shaft.

Scooby Scooby don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

not sure what you mean by design.

What I originally want to say is that,
    All inline four engine need to have a balance shaft.
    All inline six engine do not have a balance shaft.

otherwise, it will vibrate ...

Chimaera wrote: »
    No they don't. It's entirely down to whether the manufacturer designed it with one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Update: Looks like it may be a DPF issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

not sure what you mean by design.

What I originally want to say is that,
    All inline four engine need to have a balance shaft.
    All inline six engine do not have a balance shaft.

otherwise, it will vibrate ...

You claimed that all 4 cylinder engines have one which is incorrect. They don't need one either, but it does improve NVH to fit one since a 4 cylinder engine is not inherently balanced.

Advertisement