Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to help me pick a laptop lads?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new laptop but I want to make sure I get the right one. I bought ****e one from Argos for €250 quid a while ago, used it once and then sold it on because the one I had was far better and faster.

I don't want to make that mistake again so I'll let you know the specs on my current one, compared to ones that I've been looking at and maybe you can tell me if they're better options.

My Dell:

Processor: Celeron (R) Dual-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10 GHZ 2.09 GHZ
    Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system

Alternative options:

HP: €660
    Processor: Intel i5, Intel Core i5-4210U

Memory: 4GB

Clock Speed (in GHz) 1.7

Hard Drive (GB) 1000

Drive Rotation (in RPM) 5400

Toshiba Satellite: €750

Processor: Intel i5 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Memory 8GB

Clock Speed (in GHz) 1.6

Hard Drive (GB) 1000
    Drive Rotation (in RPM) 5400
    ==========================

I will say that the system I'll be using does need to be fast. It's crucial, both for my job and just general convenience.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

There's a laptop forum!

What will this machine be used for? And what do you mean by speed? (Sounds silly...but often people mean different things by this)

Neither HP, nor Toshiba would be on the top of my list for brands at the moment. And you're better off posting links to actual models, rather than just the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I can't post links unfortunately.

Anyway, the laptop will primarily be used for work. I write about sports so I'd often need several different windows open at once, along with a stream of a live football match occasionally.

I don't be downloading films or music or anything so I just need a smooth, quick and efficient machine.

And sorry for not posting in the laptop forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I can't post links unfortunately.

Anyway, the laptop will primarily be used for work. I write about sports so I'd often need several different windows open at once, along with a stream of a live football match occasionally.

I don't be downloading films or music or anything so I just need a smooth, quick and efficient machine.

And sorry for not posting in the laptop forum.

Given your requirements I would reckon most/all laptops these days will breeze through that work as it is very light by today's standards. Is this machine going to spend most of it's time in an office on a desk? Or do you need it to be portable at all?

Advertisement