Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bressie's Teenage Kicks

• 25-11-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Has anyone seen the ads on TV for the new series Bressie's teenage kicks based around kids to come together to express themselves through music in disadvantaged communities around the city, what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

They could have done a series on the over 120 Made In Limerick LCOC events this year, from all parts of the city,...but I guess RTE had no interest in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Talented teenagers aren't confined to certain parts of Limerick. :rolleyes:

That's all I'll say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

only ad I saw had a horse and trap running down the street with the voice over saying "this is limerick city centre " !!!!!!!! made it sound like it was O'Connell Street !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

More Moyross,Southill or Weston stuff i take it

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

only ad I saw had a horse and trap running down the street with the voice over saying "this is limerick city centre " !!!!!!!! made it sound like it was O'Connell Street !

Ya it starts off with 'this is the heart of Limerick city' with an image of a sign saying Moyross. Ah no it's not..most of those areas are at the edge of the city nowhere near the centre of Limerick like as if you could just happen to stumble in there but I suppose people who have never set foot in Limerick will believe it and avoid the place like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

This really annoys me, why do scumbag teenagers get so much help when,
    1. They don't deserve it.
    2. They don't appreciate it and,
    3. They're not talented.

And I'm in a so called advantaged area and can't get any work nor would I get any government help.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Ya it starts off with 'this is the heart of Limerick city' with an image of a sign saying Moyross. Ah no it's not..most of those areas are at the edge of the city nowhere near the centre of Limerick like as if you could just happen to stumble in there but I suppose people who have never set foot in Limerick will believe it and avoid the place like the plague.
    It just perpetuates the myth that Limerick is one big council estate.This is what people see & it just reinforces the negative stereotype of the city.There's people in the likes of Dublin & Kilkenny who think there's no middle class areas in the city just the likes of Moyross,Southill etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Sure wasnt Dublin in the 80s just Tallaght and Ballymun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They could have done a series on the over 120 Made In Limerick LCOC events this year, from all parts of the city,...but I guess RTE had no interest in that.

The rest of Ireland probably don't either.

Bit of a cliched programme though, teenage kids, etc etc etc, moyross, etc etc etc, yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

This really annoys me, why do scumbag teenagers get so much help when,
    1. They don't deserve it.
    2. They don't appreciate it and,
    3. They're not talented.

And I'm in a so called advantaged area and can't get any work nor would I get any government help.
    Are you simon cowell,how do you know that they don't deserve,appreciate or are talented enough.Do you know these kids on a personal level?I assume you don't since you live in a (advantaged) area,even though you say ur unemployed.And ur comment about them being scumbags just begger's believe,If someone from Dublin posted some of the comments in here,the tread would be in meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Moyross has great people but it has serious problems too im sure but there is always a media postive spin story put on or done.How long and much money has and will be spnd on Moyross

Moyross prob hassome of the best facilties and funding in the country

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Are you simon cowell,how do you know that they don't deserve,appreciate or are talented enough.Do you know these kids on a personal level?I assume you don't since you live in a (advantaged) area,even though you say ur unemployed.And ur comment about them being scumbags just begger's believe,If someone from Dublin posted some of the comments in here,the tread would be in meltdown.

I live so close to that ****e area and even some of the people in the advert I know, they all hang around the local shop asking people to buy them cans etc. Funny how most of them I know for a fact they will have some **** life because they think its cool to be all smoking and drinking at like 14. I honestly think the place should be bombed, just an area filled with sewer rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I live so close to that ****e area and even some of the people in the advert I know, they all hang around the local shop asking people to buy them cans etc. Funny how most of them I know for a fact they will have some **** life because they think its cool to be all smoking and drinking at like 14. I honestly think the place should be bombed, just an area filled with sewer rats

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Another attempt by our fee paying television broadcaster to look down their noses at the people from Limerick! Sickens me to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Did anyone watch it tonight?What are your views?

Did anyone watch it tonight?What are your views?

Was it about music or horses?

It was not as bad as I thought it could be, but I'll give RTE their dues, they are getting very creative about how they get our more infamous estates on National TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Bressie is one of the biggest twits around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I watched it and can almost say I enjoyed it. I'm from west limerick and can honestly say I have never been in moyross, south hill or “d'iland", but I have some idea where they are all in the city. Anyone watching that has no idea of limerick would think they were side by side on the same estate.

I think the idea is good, but would hate to think these kids are getting their hopes up to be multi selling artists. It could do more damage than good if they don't succeed.

Will be interesting to see how the ex girlfriend will react to being dropped as a result of the break up!!!!

Lol I knew it, state of all of them, filthy tracksuits and not an ounce of talent between them. There is proper talent in limerick but jesus what was that about. 'man i need this rap thing or i,ll end up in jail' 'if i dont do rap i do drugs' hahahaha wtf? I dont rap and i dont do drugs. Come on give up on this showing limerick in a positive vibe, the smart people among us will know this was a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I saw it on my guide and deliberately avoided it, couldn't be watching that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Avoided watching it, saw the advert, saw no mention about anywhere in Limerick other than certain estates - Des Bishop already did this ****e, it was crap then and I don't expect Bressie to do any better.

The one and only program that actually showed Limerick for how wonderful it could actually be was "three men in a boat" with Dara O' Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones. Fantastic series!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yaaawwnn....this has been done to death.

Will be avoiding this like the plague...the trailer is the usual tabloid shoite image of Limerick - scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon.

Just for a change, would love to see an RTE programme that didn't feature scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon..."Darina Allen cooks in Castletroy", "Neil Delamere: Dooradoyle - A Personal Journey", "George Hook Rucks up in Thomond" etc

....it would still probably be a pile of crap but at least it wouldn't be all about scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I thought it was alright. It was funny though, the guy who broke up with his girlfriend, his ear was going green from the earring and I mean bright green. Please tell me someone saw this?

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Yaaawwnn....this has been done to death.

Will be avoiding this like the plague...the trailer is the usual tabloid shoite image of Limerick - scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon.

Just for a change, would love to see an RTE programme that didn't feature scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon..."Darina Allen cooks in Castletroy", "Neil Delamere: Dooradoyle - A Personal Journey", "George Hook Rucks up in Thomond" etc

....it would still probably be a pile of crap but at least it wouldn't be all about scobes hanging around, scobes having the craic, scobes shouting and scobes riding horses with wild abandon :mad:

You mean like TnG do, I have seen one on Thomond Park, it was excellent, and more recently one on Limerick City of Culture, that one was a really good decent piece, hit the right note, tone dealt with everything but in a good way. RTE simply do not want to do such a piece. To put this in perspective the ONLY department of RTE that doesn't take a hatchet to Limerick at every opportunity is RTE Radio 1...the rest do, that is how deep the culture in RTE goes...

I have said it before and I'll say it again, if the Dublin based media treated this city the same way the UK media, or even TnG treat this city we wouldn't have an image problem...

I just watched the start on player because I missed it last night..."a city scarred by violence" is how it began...whatever scar violence has left in this city pales in comparison to the scar Irish media have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Seemed just the same as the show where Liam Toland and Niamh Briggs (i think) tried to get a bunch of pramfaces and weed head chavs playing rugby and taking photos for an expo, some were sound, some were wasters.

Your wan last night Leanne was a little cracker though

Here's a good idea. Why not do a music related programme in inner city estates or disadvantaged areas and find people who DON'T rap, or people who DON'T want to do X Factor sh*t.

Are there any musicians in real bands in these places? I know there are.

Why do people in disadvantaged areas feel that they have to rap, but never form an indie band or a rock band or an acoustic duo?

It's a tired cliche: I'm from Moyross and I like to rap. Next!!!

You're Irish and you are never going to be able to compete against what the Americans have on their own doorsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's also worrying to think that some people in these areas think the only way to "get out" is to make millions as a rapper and not just get a job/education like the rest of us!

Well, if they're trying to make it in the music game, they'll spend a lot of time not making much money, and hanging around. Oh wait....

This inner city rap sh*t does my head in. It's old hat at this stage. It's ridiculous, and even more ridiculous when you see white lads and lassies from a provincial town dressed like black folk from The Bronx, who they'd probably call "black c*nts" if they ever met them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »
    You're Irish and you are never going to be able to compete against what the Americans have on their own doorsteps.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/OfficialGodKnows?ref=profile for a quality rapper from the Midwest. There are a few talented rappers in this part of the world.

• Advertisement

Sorry, not my thing. I just don't get it. Obviously music is subjective and all that lark...

I could put forward the stupid argument that none of them are American, so it's not going to work for me anymore than the Celtic Crew didn't work for me.

I want to see more black guys playing electric guitars, that's what I want to see.

I could spend time deconstructing/pulling the rug from under my own statements here, but it is getting off topic.

I'm just sick of "rappers" from estates in LImerick, Dublin, Cork, etc. ****.

Advertisement