Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bressie's Teenage Kicks

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VintageKaren

Guys, can you lot please think before you type and leave nasty comments online for the world to see!! These are kids for goodness sake! Regardless of how they sound, how they dress or where they are from - don't be bullies!
    why, because of how they sound and where they are from, should these guys (or anyone, for that matter) be labeled a scobe or a scumbag?! Do you lot know these people personally?! No.
    I do know these people both personally (I'm related to one through marriage) and to see them around Limerick. They are neither scobes nor scumbags as you 'keyboard warriors' most eloquently put it...
    not everyone from these disadvantaged estates has a shot at further education or jobs - because of the actions of a minority of people, everyone from the same area is tarred with the one brush!! I don't think thats fair at all, do you?
    These young people are trying to get a shot at what they love to do, and they weren't promised the sun, moon and stars by Bressie, they were given a chance by him, which is more than what any of you naysayers are doing!!

Im as sick of the Limerick stereotypes as the next Limerick person, but the rap scene is big here, and for once (as much of a rugby lover as I am) I'm thrilled to see the city being shown for something other than rugby/sport, it shows that we are a diverse city and that its not just one past-time that rules supreme!! (and it was Rosie Foley who did that docu with Toland!)

Give them a chance, its the least they deserve - the Irish media doesn't give Limerick many chances, don't take it away from the group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Rapping is definitely not my taste but you have to give these kids credit for trying to follow their dream.

@vintagekaren I think youre right about the education part. There are lots of "opportunities" for education but its a deeper culture that no government scheme can just fix. Even with great parents & financial aid, a life of further education can (I say can because I cannot make a blanket judgement) seem alien.

Any outlet a kid has to express themselves should be encouraged. Maybe then they will never end up meeting me.

I really hope rte don't make a mockery of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Guys, can you lot please think before you type and leave nasty comments online for the world to see!! These are kids for goodness sake! Regardless of how they sound, how they dress or where they are from - don't be bullies!
    why, because of how they sound and where they are from, should these guys (or anyone, for that matter) be labeled a scobe or a scumbag?! Do you lot know these people personally?! No.
    I do know these people both personally (I'm related to one through marriage) and to see them around Limerick. They are neither scobes nor scumbags as you 'keyboard warriors' most eloquently put it...
    not everyone from these disadvantaged estates has a shot at further education or jobs - because of the actions of a minority of people, everyone from the same area is tarred with the one brush!! I don't think thats fair at all, do you?
    These young people are trying to get a shot at what they love to do, and they weren't promised the sun, moon and stars by Bressie, they were given a chance by him, which is more than what any of you naysayers are doing!!

Im as sick of the Limerick stereotypes as the next Limerick person, but the rap scene is big here, and for once (as much of a rugby lover as I am) I'm thrilled to see the city being shown for something other than rugby/sport, it shows that we are a diverse city and that its not just one past-time that rules supreme!! (and it was Rosie Foley who did that docu with Toland!)

Give them a chance, its the least they deserve - the Irish media doesn't give Limerick many chances, don't take it away from the group!

I agree, the use of the words you mentioned serve no purpose at all.

The kids on this from Limerick seem really nice and I for one wish them the best of luck.

And sure there is a rap scene here, but it represents maybe 10% or less of the diverse music scene that exists in the city.

There are an amount of bands in the city that would give their right arm for the exposure these kids are getting, bands who have poured a lot of time and effort and talent into their endeavours but they will never get that exposure purely because they are not from the estates these kids are from.

This is not the RTE giving Limerick a chance, do not be fooled, these kids, whether you like to hear it or not, are pawns in RTEs persistent narrow narrative that has created the stereotypes you referred to.

We all know the nickname/image issue.
    What feeds that nickname/image issue is the constant repeating of the following
    Murder/Gangs/Violence/social deprivation/Crime
    They keep repeating the above in any sentence/article/program with Limerick, every chance they get, this creates the image problem.

The reason you may not see this is because you are judging RTE by your standards, you are clearly not a cynical person, neither are the kids on the show, but the image problem is a problem created by the likes of RTE, unfortunately we have to become cynical to be able to defend ourselves from this, otherwise we will be having this discussion in 10, 20, 30 years time.

What I would love to see is all communities rejecting any RTE Production crew as soon as they pull up in the city with whatever wannabe celebrity they are dragging behind them...they are not here to give us a chance.

The kids may well make it, tho it is not an easy business, I wish them the best, but this is RTE in Limerick doing what RTE in Limerick do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I agree, the use of the words you mentioned serve no purpose at all.

The kids on this from Limerick seem really nice and I for one wish them the best of luck.

And sure there is a rap scene here, but it represents maybe 10% or less of the diverse music scene that exists in the city.

There are an amount of bands in the city that would give their right arm for the exposure these kids are getting, bands who have poured a lot of time and effort and talent into their endeavours but they will never get that exposure purely because they are not from the estates these kids are from.

This is not the RTE giving Limerick a chance, do not be fooled, these kids, whether you like to hear it or not, are pawns in RTEs persistent narrow narrative that has created the stereotypes you referred to.

We all know the nickname/image issue.
    What feeds that nickname/image issue is the constant repeating of the following
    Murder/Gangs/Violence/social deprivation/Crime
    They keep repeating the above in any sentence/article/program with Limerick, every chance they get, this creates the image problem.

The reason you may not see this is because you are judging RTE by your standards, you are clearly not a cynical person, neither are the kids on the show, but the image problem is a problem created by the likes of RTE, unfortunately we have to become cynical to be able to defend ourselves from this, otherwise we will be having this discussion in 10, 20, 30 years time.

What I would love to see is all communities rejecting any RTE Production crew as soon as they pull up in the city with whatever wannabe celebrity they are dragging behind them...they are not here to give us a chance.

The kids may well make it, tho it is not an easy business, I wish them the best, but this is RTE in Limerick doing what RTE in Limerick do.

Spot on! It's quite simple really. RTE are just compounding and reinforcing the stereotypical narrative that Limerick is all but one large local authority housing project with all the usual associated social problems!

In this particular case it happens to be under the guise of the well intentioned national broadcaster reaching out in a most noble fashion and providing an outlet for these poor, underprivileged misfortunes to reach for the stars against all the odds! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I really don't see this as giving Limerick a chance. As others have said, it simply perpetuates the narrative about the city. RTE are simply using those kids.

The kids in St. Nessan's had a project that was brought to the International Space Station. I don't recall RTE covering that. Let's tell the country that the kids of Limerick aspire to be rap stars rather than scientists. For all the talent that rap requires, there's a lot that's negative about the rap scene, and rap stars wouldn't exactly be the best role models.

And, yes, of course it's completely wrong to label the kids as scobes or scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

zulutango wrote: »
    I really don't see this as giving Limerick a chance. As others have said, it simply perpetuates the narrative about the city. RTE are simply using those kids.

This x 10,000,000.

re: the Limerick city narrative - The Republic of Telly highlighted this in a reasonably amusing manner last night....eg. do we really need to see shots of wild horses every 30 seconds :confused:

I've actually ended up watching the episodes so far - hard to see why anyone outside of Limerick (and/or mega Bressie fans) would have any interest tbh. It really feels like the kids are being exploited for cheap laughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They made the choice to go on tv, so unfortunately one has to take the sh*t that comes with it. I watched it, it's good craic, they're funny kids, but Irish rap just isn't cutting it for me. Sorry.

If RTE really wanted to get rid of the stereotyping, they could have looked for bands, singers, or guitar players, or piano players from these areas. It's not like those areas haven't a track record of producing some of the finest musicians in town. They are there.

The guy who sees rap as a "ticket out" needs a reality check. Sorry.

I could be wrong, but one of the biggest bands to come out of Ireland is made up of lads from Moyross is it not? No mention of this on the show at all from what I saw.

The rap scene is big here? Since when?

The heavy metal scene is probably bigger in Limerick. Again, it's going off topic.

Best of luck to them whatever path they choose.

Bressie has enough problems trying to relaunch his own music career. Only for the rugby jockness of him, he'd have been gone out of sight long ago along with the rest of The Blizzards.

Middle Ireland loves a rugby hunk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

seachto7 wrote: »

I could be wrong, but one of the biggest bands to come out of Ireland is made up of lads from Moyross is it not?

What band is that?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What band is that?

The Cranberries. The two Hogans. You can say what you like about them, but they cracked America and sold over 40 million albums in their time.

But let RTE stick with the rappers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Wasn't there a major music project this year for city of culture..music generation limerick how the hell wasn't this featured

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Wasn't there a major music project this year for city of culture..music generation limerick how the hell wasn't this featured

As well as the Pigtown Fling which involved pulling a lot of musicians together over a period of time.

If that had happened in Dublin, they'd be creaming themselves over it. Xposé would be there and all!

As well as the Pigtown Fling which involved pulling a lot of musicians together over a period of time.

If that had happened in Dublin, they'd be creaming themselves over it. Xposé would be there and all!

Was Pigtown Fling any good? I saw some of the videos they made and they were cringeworthy. One line from Barry Murphy - "Limerick has per capita the most talented people you'll find anywhere". This self-congratulatory stuff doesn't do us any favours, and especially when it's made up bull****.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Cranberries. The two Hogans. You can say what you like about them, but they cracked America and sold over 40 million albums in their time.

But let RTE stick with the rappers.

The Cranberries would be right up there with U2 if you ask me.

Was Pigtown Fling any good? I saw some of the videos they made and they were cringeworthy. One line from Barry Murphy - "Limerick has per capita the most talented people you'll find anywhere". This self-congratulatory stuff doesn't do us any favours, and especially when it's made up bull****.

Well, you could argue that it was a smugfest, with a distorted sense of how good some of the contributors were.

It could be argued that it could have been better produced, but for what it was, it was still an achievement.

The point isn't really whether it was any good or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

I've just one thing I want to point out here:

This programme is not an RTE production.

Yes, it was commissioned by a commissioning editor in RTE and that says a lot for sure.

However, the core of my point is that an independent production company created this programme concept, sought funding for it and got it aired ON RTE , but it's still not an RTE programme or programme idea. It's produced by ShinAwiL Productions.

You can learn a little more about this process here:

http://www.rte.ie/commissioning/rteentertainment.html

I'm only now seeing the full credits, which reveals even more information:
    It's a BAI funded programme, which means most if not all the funding for it comes from Licence fee, and not from the usual IPU budget in RTE. Draw your own conclusions there too...

godfrey wrote: »
    I'm only now seeing the full credits, which reveals even more information:
    It's a BAI funded programme, which means most if not all the funding for it comes from Licence fee, and not from the usual IPU budget in RTE. Draw your own conclusions there too...

Go on, tell us. What does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Go on, tell us. What does it mean?
    It's a Cork conspiracy.... Bai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I've just one thing I want to point out here:

This programme is not an RTE production.

Yes, it was commissioned by a commissioning editor in RTE and that says a lot for sure.

However, the core of my point is that an independent production company created this programme concept, sought funding for it and got it aired ON RTE , but it's still not an RTE programme or programme idea. It's produced by ShinAwiL Productions.

You can learn a little more about this process here:

http://www.rte.ie/commissioning/rteentertainment.html
    Wonder would it have been commissioned if the kids were from Castletroy.?

I just wish there had been better music/real musicians on it. But I'm old...

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I just wish there had been better music/real musicians on it. But I'm old...

g

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

What's the story with the guy going to rehab? Was he on serious drugs or what? He looked to be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

eternal wrote: »
    What's the story with the guy going to rehab? Was he on serious drugs or what? He looked to be alright.

He is like 16 or 17 and he was going to rehab..Give me a break. All the real musicians In Limerick in the rock and metal scene give everything to creating music and this guy gets tv time and help from professionals to create utter rubbish, I mean it just doesnt make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

He is like 16 or 17 and he was going to rehab..Give me a break. All the real musicians In Limerick in the rock and metal scene give everything to creating music and this guy gets tv time and help from professionals to create utter rubbish, I mean it just doesnt make sense

Don't be so silly. ;-)

A bunch of metallers wouldn't fit into the narrative that all young Limerick people live in the hood, part of the mean streets and rapping is their ticket out from the gangs, drugs, poverty and roving piebald ponies.

8 Mile yo.

That show, pure insulting ****e to the people of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RachealB

As a aunt to one of those kids find it disgraceful at the attitude of people.can only speak for my niece who is a beautiful,talented respectful person. What people don't seem to understand is that Bessie gave all of these kids a platform to grow and become wonderful people.he was able to give them confidence and they now know as we have always told my niece its who you are what you do in this world that matters.not where you come or ignorant peoples view of where you come from.thanks to bressie and his team for giving that much to kids who may have believed they where no bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Racheal - I think what people on here and some that are not on boards is that they targeted these kids in particular and not kids from Limerick as a county, rather they focussed on the negative area's of the city, thus exploiting these communities for their own greed and humour.

These communities get every known resource whereas other area's get jack-sh1t. That is why people are so up in arms also.

Advertisement