Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Workout boost for woman?

• 25-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Trying to find something pre-workout to boost my energy levels.
    We are up at 6:30, my DH takes xplode, which i tried but made me quite nauseous. We also have a bulletproof coffee about 10 minutes before workout and usually a scoop of natural PB if if I need it. Ive tried all sorts of ephedrine/caffeine based stuff previously, and am also taking a few high dosed BCAA's through out the workout (which usually last 1.5-2 hours) but I would like something light but with a bit of kick without the jitters and preferably as natural as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

fxstb wrote: »
    Trying to find something pre-workout to boost my energy levels.
    We are up at 6:30, my DH takes xplode, which i tried but made me quite nauseous. We also have a bulletproof coffee about 10 minutes before workout and usually a scoop of natural PB if if I need it. Ive tried all sorts of ephedrine/caffeine based stuff previously, and am also taking a few high dosed BCAA's through out the workout (which usually last 1.5-2 hours) but I would like something light but with a bit of kick without the jitters and preferably as natural as possible.

Bulletproof coffee isn't going to give you anymore stimulation than coffee alone (it will give you more energy, but in terms of calories, not actual stimulation). BCAAs don't give any stimulation either.

Caffeine powder is cheap and cheerful - 100 g for just over €5, 200 mg serving size, a little over 1 cent a serving. I don't know how you personally define natural but caffeine powder is generally created by the process of decaffeination of coffee, it's probably just as 'natural' as peanut butter in that sense. Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others but trial and error will help you avoid the jitters.

Some people are advocates of not buying foods with more than one ingredient on the listing, although I don't agree with that per se, I think it's wise with supplements; whey protein, pre-workouts, vitamins etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't know how you personally define natural but caffeine powder is generally created by the process of decaffeination of coffee, it's probably just as 'natural' as peanut butter in that sense.
    I would have said caffine powder (produced like you describe) is about as natural as whey powder. A byproduct of a natural foodstuff.

Would haven't considered peanut butter to be on the same level though. On a basic level its just peanuts, if there something added, its usually sugar/salt/oil.

Craving peanut butter now

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

I find pre workout supps to be very trial and error from person to person. And it's an expensive investment if it just makes you nauseous.

I find a can of monster and some Rammstein to be just as good as any pre workouts supps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Mellor wrote:
    I would have said caffine powder (produced like you describe) is about as natural as whey powder. A byproduct of a natural foodstuff.

I agree totally, it's no different from whey, at least by processing standards. I just don't know what some people mean by 'natural', it's a redundant term at this stage and if it does mean anything, it means different things to different people.
    Mellor wrote:
    Would haven't considered peanut butter to be on the same level though. On a basic level its just peanuts, if there something added, its usually sugar/salt/oil.

if you're on the natural bandwagon, how 'natural' is it to have creamed peanuts, or for someone in Ireland to even see peanuts! Doesn't bother me in the slightest, just making the point.
    Mellor wrote:
    Craving peanut butter now

.....do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree totally, it's no different from whey, at least by processing standards. I just don't know what some people mean by 'natural', it's a redundant term at this stage and if it does mean anything, it means different things to different people.
    Agree, especially when you've go "natural" sweets, and all sorts these days.
    .....do it
    18ixete0xl0gbjpg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 fxstb

Thanks all for the input. only do the bulletproof coffee as it helps eliminate the jitters for me when lifting. And yes, I know BCAA's dont give me stimulation.
    IN terms of natural, i just mean a boost aid without un-natural preservatives, use the natural PB (no salt, sugar, etc) as it more sustained.
    Should mention we are also already adding protein to coffee as well before & after workout, and I'd presonally prefer me some Alice in Chains to kick it up!
    Just finding it hard to push towards my goals first thing in the morning, .....especially after taking care of my daughter all night, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

So you hit the gym really early in the morning having not eaten anything and after less than stellar sleep the night before ? Sounds like you need a good nights sleep and a meal beforehand . The stimulants will only paper over the cracks , for now .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

dor843088 wrote:
    Sounds like you need a good nights sleep and a meal beforehand . The stimulants will only paper over the cracks , for now .

The sleep is super important but a bit of intermittent fasting never hurt nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fxstb

The sleep is something unavoidable tbh at the moment, any quick food pick me ups? bananas?

Advertisement