Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Prison Officer

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

One of the best threads I've read on boards. Thanks for doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Too late :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thanks O, this has been a truly fascinating insight into a world that 99.9% of people really have no clue about.

Fair play for taking the time to answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Congrats to everyone involved with this thread, including the initiators but especially the main contributor. Superb idea and fascinating reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 floraljill

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm gonna leave it there as there's a bit of upset on behalf of a poster who may be a colleague. If they're not happy with it, then it's probably not right to continue on, especially if there are others who feel the same. I'm happy with the answers I've given and, as stated, didn't give any specifics away. Thanks to everyone who contributed and hope you all have a more rounded view of what it's like in general. I'm looking forward to seeing some more good threads from other posters on this forum.

Thanks everyone!

Very well answered. I wouldn't worry about upsetting one colleague. I think you cleared up a lot of misconceptions excellently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Sex offenders generally go to Arbour Hill Prison in Dublin. It's too risky having them in gen pop. Even other protection prisoners want to get at them. Many staff wouldn't be able to work with them either I suspect.

A lot of them have been moved to the Midlands in the last two years, put onto the new E and G wings down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Probably the most interesting thread I've seen on Boards.ie - you sound like an excellent prison officer. The regime and conditions also sound a lot less demeaning/dehumanising than I would of thought. My impression of the prison service has improved considerably.

Two questions I would have asked:

- what would you think of blocking the phone signal in the prison. It would eliminate the inmate phone issue but downsides could be prisoner unrest/staff discontent.
    - What percentage of prisoners work and what jobs do they do.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sabinainfo

hi would you recommend it as a career choice? And what would your strongest qualities have to be in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I think he's done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If razor blades are such a problem why aren't prisoners confined to disposble razors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm gonna leave it there as there's a bit of upset on behalf of a poster who may be a colleague. If they're not happy with it, then it's probably not right to continue on, especially if there are others who feel the same. I'm happy with the answers I've given and, as stated, didn't give any specifics away. Thanks to everyone who contributed and hope you all have a more rounded view of what it's like in general. I'm looking forward to seeing some more good threads from other posters on this forum.

Thanks everyone!
    feargale wrote: »
    If razor blades are such a problem why aren't prisoners confined to disposble razors?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes indeed, Omackeral has signed off on this thread, so instead of closing it off with some terrible puns about how it's now in lock down and lights out, I'll instead say thank you so very much to him for volunteering so much of his time and giving us all a brilliant insight into a world I'm sure most of us would rather never see first hand!

I'm lining up the next thread as we speak, stay tuned...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement