Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NQT subbing dole?

• 25-11-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey,

Im a NQT and was wondering whats the story with the dole if i was to get a few hours subbing? I heard from a mate its 3 days i can work but whats the whole process because its the dept of education thats employing me. I dont and never had drawn the dole in money but i am earning credits? I just finished college this month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

dalalada wrote: »
    Hey,

Im a NQT and was wondering whats the story with the dole if i was to get a few hours subbing? I heard from a mate its 3 days i can work but whats the whole process because its the dept of education thats employing me. I dont and never had drawn the dole in money but i am earning credits? I just finished college this month.

If you are casually subbing - as in no contract just a call to be tomorrow kinda job you will need to go on the yellow (if they're still yellow) casual weekly dockets which you fill in and hand in to sw on a weekly basis. Your weekly allowance will be docked for each day worked. It used to be you couldn't work more than 3 days but I think I read somewhere recently it's been upped to 4 but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Pop into your local sw office and get the ball rolling anyhow. It takes a few weeks to process everything. If you get a maternity/sick leave cover where you're on the hourly rate make sure you sign on for the Xmas hols midterm etc because it's important to keep your credits up to date. Again I think read somewhere they're looking to change that whole set up whereby fixed term subs aren't paid their rate + holiday pay during term time. Just their hourly rate. Which would be better I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

I'm working from these dockets at the moment. If you need to be means tested (if you don't have PRSI stamps) they'll need to send forms to the DES to find out about your rate of pay etc. Takes forever. Because the subbing rate is quite high, I can only work 2 days to get anything from the dole - because I'm means tested. So if I work 3, I don't get anything. Generally in other industries (and if you're getting your PRSI-based payment) you can work 3 and the social pay you for the rest. I'm also self-certifying because I'm moving from school to school. Well, I was. Subbing is very quiet for me at the moment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭dalalada

I'm working from these dockets at the moment. If you need to be means tested (if you don't have PRSI stamps) they'll need to send forms to the DES to find out about your rate of pay etc. Takes forever. Because the subbing rate is quite high, I can only work 2 days to get anything from the dole - because I'm means tested. So if I work 3, I don't get anything. Generally in other industries (and if you're getting your PRSI-based payment) you can work 3 and the social pay you for the rest. I'm also self-certifying because I'm moving from school to school. Well, I was. Subbing is very quiet for me at the moment. :(

What you mean by "self certifying"? I dont have enough stamps built up to get dole money anyways cos thats what they have said everytime i have asked them before. however i was living at home with the parents until lately. I really should call into them but my local SW is a long ways form where i am now. Can i call into any SW and ask them the craic? how longs forever and did you get back pay? are you getting rent allowance btw aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. Self-certifying is what SW are calling it. When you're on the casual dockets generally your employer has to sign or certify the docket to confirm the information is correct. I couldn't ask one school to sign a docket when they don't know where I've been all week. So in the Employer Declaration part I'm just signing it myself. I'm not paying rent because I live in my home house alone. I still get SW payments because I'm over 25 and I'm not receiving income from family - there's no-one here. It's worth going into the SW office. You'll have to go in to make a claim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swilsa

Hi, I was just wondering if you had any resolve on this issue? I'm in a smiliar position, I have just finished college and Im subbing and would like to sign on. I have never done anything like this before so I'm not familiar with the system at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

swilsa wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if you had any resolve on this issue? I'm in a smiliar position, I have just finished college and Im subbing and would like to sign on. I have never done anything like this before so I'm not familiar with the system at all.

You might be a while assimilating all the info from the net! Maybe you might just be better off walking into the SW office and making an appointment (or take a ticket and join the queue!), at least that way the info given will be tailored to you and from the horses mouth (assuming they are telling you the correct info!).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 raemie24

Hey question as I'm in a similar situation.

Hi guys, I'm an NQT since July but can't get subbing anywhere. I'm going to have to sign on but I want to keep the door open for casual subbing too. I'm not linked to any schools for subbing so what can I do regarding claiming, do I still apply for the dockets and send them in if I get a day subbing here and there because I don't have an employer right now. I'm very confused. Or can you only do that if you are currently subbing for a school.

My confusion lies in that I'm looking for subbing but have to sign on, how can I get a letter for the welfare stating I'm subbing casually when iv no employer currently to clarify that. I did a small bit of subbing during my dip last year for my school which I was paid for but that's the only link I have.

Or can I apply to social welfare for the casual dockets even though I'm only starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

raemie24 wrote: »
    Hey question as I'm in a similar situation.

Hi guys, I'm an NQT since July but can't get subbing anywhere. I'm going to have to sign on but I want to keep the door open for casual subbing too. I'm not linked to any schools for subbing so what can I do regarding claiming, do I still apply for the dockets and send them in if I get a day subbing here and there because I don't have an employer right now. I'm very confused. Or can you only do that if you are currently subbing for a school.

My confusion lies in that I'm looking for subbing but have to sign on, how can I get a letter for the welfare stating I'm subbing casually when iv no employer currently to clarify that. I did a small bit of subbing during my dip last year for my school which I was paid for but that's the only link I have.

Or can I apply to social welfare for the casual dockets even though I'm only starting

You don't have any employer or guarantee of casual subbing at the moment so if I were you I'd sign on for Jobseekers Benefit. Then keep applying for subbing and when you get some, inform the SW and they'll put you on dockets or pause your claim whatever is relevant at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swilsa

You can apply for x and o dockets in the social welfare office. That way you can mark the days you sub and claim for the days you don't have work!

Advertisement