Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal phone wiring, quick question

Options
  • 25-11-2014 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

I have 4 points ran back and connected to the Eircom Filter main box on L1 and L2

The direct plug into the 'main box ' works but the 'extensions ' don't

I have only two of the four punched down the other two with insulated strands not completed

Do I need to punch down the other 2 points for all 4 to work? Or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Thanks in advance amigos

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The centre two pins are what's required to be cables for phone. You should have a max of 4 devices on the line, that's what Eircom recommend as the maximum otherwise your phone may not ring.

Double check the wires are not cut somewhere using a multimeter or cable tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 4 device max was defined when phones were analogue and the 60hz tone actually caused a bell to ring, you can get away with more when the devices are digital ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Mr. G wrote: »
    The centre two pins are what's required to be cables for phone. You should have a max of 4 devices on the line, that's what Eircom recommend as the maximum otherwise your phone may not ring.

Double check the wires are not cut somewhere using a multimeter or cable tester.

Thanks, 3&4 did it for me, had pressed them incorrectly on the Hager push crimps..

Thanks to all who posted. Much appreciated

Advertisement