Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market rent list - where to find?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I see a lot of posts asking about market rents however I can't find a list.
    where can I find this?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Market rent is the rent that someone is willing to pay. Any of the property sites, daft or my home or rent.ie will give you what the current rents are for your type of property location etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Market rent is not set in stone either.
    I imagine a nicer or bigger apartment would command above the general market rate for an area.
    I might not pay €1000 for apartment A, but I might pay €1100 for the much nicer apartment next door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Check out the PRTB rent index

http://www.prtb.ie/landlords/rent-index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Graham wrote: »
    Check out the PRTB rent index

http://www.prtb.ie/landlords/rent-index

This is pretty useless. There is often no comparison compared to prices on daft.ie. daft.ie is the most accurate to compare rental prices. As daft.ie has pictures and you can compare the quality of the property

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    This is pretty useless. There is often no comparison compared to prices on daft.ie. daft.ie is the most accurate to compare rental prices. As daft.ie has pictures and you can compare the quality of the property

The PRTB is based on the actual rents people are paying and the PRTB also use that same data to track trends for specific areas e.g. average increases/decreases in rent for an area.

Obviously if you're comparing specific rental property A to specific rental property B then Daft may be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here in Germany there is an official figure for rent which is used in disputes about rent increases etc.

First of all, it's per square metre. Germans (and most continentals) know what they are paying per square metre and use this as their base comparison figure. The official system does take account of differences between fit out. It's possible to search for an average rent based on properties with similar fit out by ticking the appropriate boxes (eg, shower, bath, high quality sanitary ware etc.)

It's not perfect, but the PRTB list is no use really as it doesn't even take into consideration the size of the property (not how many rooms, which could be tiny, but how big it is in total)

In Germany when selling a property or renting one out you are obliged to provide the usable floor space, so you must subtract areas under eaves etc. in a dormer bungalow for example. The law defines this all quite clearly.

We need things to move this way in Ireland to, so fair comparisons can be made by all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrsMOOO

Keep an eye on daft or similar web sites, I would also recommending contacting a local letting/estate agent who has rented in the area, they can advise on the market rental in an area.

murphaph wrote: »
    Here in Germany there is an official figure for rent which is used in disputes about rent increases etc.

First of all, it's per square metre. Germans (and most continentals) know what they are paying per square metre and use this as their base comparison figure. The official system does take account of differences between fit out. It's possible to search for an average rent based on properties with similar fit out by ticking the appropriate boxes (eg, shower, bath, high quality sanitary ware etc.)

It's not perfect, but the PRTB list is no use really as it doesn't even take into consideration the size of the property (not how many rooms, which could be tiny, but how big it is in total)

In Germany when selling a property or renting one out you are obliged to provide the usable floor space, so you must subtract areas under eaves etc. in a dormer bungalow for example. The law defines this all quite clearly.

We need things to move this way in Ireland to, so fair comparisons can be made by all parties.

The Irish market pretty much operates around the number of bedrooms as I'm sure you're aware. Usually with a weighting based on quality (up or down) and size.

Would be interesting to see a PSM figure for all types of Irish properties (rental and sale), that might begin to discourage developers from cramming in as many bedrooms as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Graham wrote: »
    The PRTB is based on the actual rents people are paying and the PRTB also use that same data to track trends for specific areas e.g. average increases/decreases in rent for an area.

Obviously if you're comparing specific rental property A to specific rental property B then Daft may be more useful.

Yes but PRTB figures are for previous quarter, take time to compile and can be out of date by time published. Not to mention based on rent when lease registered, if landlord does not update record when a rent review happens then the record is meaningless. Also PRTB records are not the most robust, plenty of cases where records not up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement