Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a gym in North Co Dublin

Options
  • 25-11-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Me and my wife are both looking to join a gym in North County Dublin. We are based in Lusk so the closer to Lusk the better. So what are the best gyms in the Lusk, Rush, Swords, Skerries and Balbriggan areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

My son goes to flyefit in Airside in Swords. Open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Monthly membership is €29... No contract, finish if you want when you want. Can't give personal experience unfortunately. He enjoys it anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My son goes to flyefit in Airside in Swords. Open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Monthly membership is €29... No contract, finish if you want when you want. Can't give personal experience unfortunately. He enjoys it anyway.

No pool though, I'd use Energie in Swords over Flyefit for that

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Lack of pool doesn't bother me too much. Whats the cardio equipment like in energie? Is there enough equipment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter uses Flyefit too and if you give them a call they'll let you go down for a day's free trial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Energie has a decent amount of cardio equipment (lots of treadmills, cross trainers, bikes, rowers, some steppers. Never have to wait for a machine, unless it's weights.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Lusk Fitness is in Dun Emer above Centra. I been going there for a year now and it's great. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

http://www.luskfitness.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

If lack of a pool doesnt bother you i would also recommend flyefit in airside. Because they open 24 hours it tends to be less busy , its affordable, the equipment is new and good and the free classes they offer are brilliant too. You can book them through your online profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Energie has a decent amount of cardio equipment (lots of treadmills, cross trainers, bikes, rowers, some steppers. Never have to wait for a machine, unless it's weights.

Is Energie the old J Skelly gym in Applewood?
    Lusk Fitness is in Dun Emer above Centra. I been going there for a year now and it's great. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Used to be a member there. No shower facilities put me off though. I heard they now do spin classes in the main gym. Is that true?
    BKWDR wrote: »
    If lack of a pool doesnt bother you i would also recommend flyefit in airside. Because they open 24 hours it tends to be less busy , its affordable, the equipment is new and good and the free classes they offer are brilliant too. You can book them through your online profile.

Must check out this place. 24 hours is handy.

Is there any decent gyms in Skerries?

rumar wrote: »

Yes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

It's a much better gym since Energie fitness took it over.
    The machines are newer & better maintained & the changing facilities are much cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PWEI wrote: »
    It's a much better gym since Energie fitness took it over.
    The machines are newer & better maintained & the changing facilities are much cleaner.

It's not a patch on Energie in Ashbourne though.

I live literally around the corner from it, and go to Ashbourne as I find the staff and facilities far better

Stheno wrote: »
    It's not a patch on Energie in Ashbourne though.

I live literally around the corner from it, and go to Ashbourne as I find the staff and facilities far better

How the facilities better? I've been in the Ashbourne gym and the machines are the same & the pool the same size.

Energie in Swords is having some pool upgrade works done over Christmas. This is a good thing but it unfortunately means the gym is closed 24/12 - 03/01.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I moved from Energie to Flyefit and wouldn't go back.
    It's by far cheaper, has better equipment and a great functional area.
    The cardio equipment is top notch and there's plenty of it.
    The staff also seem fairly friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Me and my wife are both looking to join a gym in North County Dublin. We are based in Lusk so the closer to Lusk the better. So what are the best gyms in the Lusk, Rush, Swords, Skerries and Balbriggan areas?

Wellfit in Skerries is pretty good. No pool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

PWEI wrote: »
    How the facilities better? I've been in the Ashbourne gym and the machines are the same & the pool the same size.

Pool in ash is far smaller than swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

I was in the Energie one in Swords. The pool can only be used after 5 or 6pm due to kids swimming classes.
    However there are still kids in the pool after this time so it difficult to swim lengths with the kiddies playing about. Also I found some of the showers broken and I don't think its worth €50 a month.

I left and go to Ben Dunnes in Northwood now(its on my commute home from work)
    No Kids, loads of machines and 25meter pool

The kids swimming timetable has changed. There are some kids only times in the afternoon on weekdays but it's not as restrictive as it used to be for adults.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The kids swimming timetable has changed. There are some kids only times in the afternoon on weekdays but it's not as restrictive as it used to be for adults.

Ah ok, thanks.

But I still don't think its worth €50 a month

Carter12 wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks.

But I still don't think its worth €50 a month

I'm also a member of Ben Dunne Northwood & compared to that it's not value for money. But I live only five minutes walk from Energie Fitness so for the sheer convenience of it, I think it's worth the €50 a month. (I pay €48 though :)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

I'd recommend flyefit, plenty of cardio equipment , never seen anyone waiting on a machine. I'd recommend it along on the free weights section, miles better and more than I've seen anywhere else in Swords.

Advertisement