Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader VAT for entites in other EU member states

Options
  • 25-11-2014 11:43pm

Hi,

I will be registering as a sole trader whose only business will be that of electronic services (software development and other IT consulting) to a firm in another EU member state (no presence in Ireland).

As far as I know, the fact that I am not providing them with tangible goods - or doing business with any entity in Ireland - means I don't have to register for VAT regardless of expected turnover. Is that right?

If I want to claim VAT back from my business expenses (e.g. Internet, electricity, heating etc.), does this mean I have to register for VAT? And if I do this, do I have to charge VAT on my service to the firm (I was under the impression that this was exempt)?

Thanks, this is my first step outside the PAYE system and I'm a bit confused about the whole thing. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ehh I think you do have to register for vat even if only exporting services. Even though intra-eu exports may be zero-rated there are VIES and INTRASTAT forms to fill in, which are related to VAT.

Yes, if you register for VAT you can reclaim the vat on some of your inputs.

Talk to an accountant!

srsly78 wrote: »
    Talk to an accountant!

Hm, yeah, I might do just that. Cheers!

Advertisement