Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steel for extension & general extension estimate

Options
  • 26-11-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

i'm planning to build an extension onto the back of a 3 bed semi D, approx span for steel to support the existing back wall of 7 metres.
    it looks like i'll also need steel to support an internal load bearing wall, say span of 5 metres and 4 metres on a third wall.

I've got some crazy quotes (imo) for the full extension job and am trying to understand if the steel might be driving this. can anyone give a rough estimate please?

also, for an extension of 18 sqm, with the above steel required, drain at rear to be moved and new downstairs WC to be fitted, with waste pipe to run under existing concrete utility floor, can anyone give a ballpark estimate for the job with builders finish? it will also have a sliding door approx 5.5M at he back of the extension.

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hey guys,

i'm planning to build an extension onto the back of a 3 bed semi D, approx span for steel to support the existing back wall of 7 metres.
    it looks like i'll also need steel to support an internal load bearing wall, say span of 5 metres and 4 metres on a third wall.

I've got some crazy quotes (imo) for the full extension job and am trying to understand if the steel might be driving this. can anyone give a rough estimate please?

also, for an extension of 18 sqm, with the above steel required, drain at rear to be moved and new downstairs WC to be fitted, with waste pipe to run under existing concrete utility floor, can anyone give a ballpark estimate for the job with builders finish? it will also have a sliding door approx 5.5M at he back of the extension.

thanks!

For the steel alone, expect 5k plus. That's just for the steel supplied and fitted and painted. Various other works such as bearing pads, ground beam etc may have to be done by the builder just to facilitate the steel alone.

Your 5.5m sliding door can be anything from 8k to 12k depending on spec, tilt and slide or composite or PVC and so on.

For the works, 22k give or take. Total figure I'd hazard a guess at just under 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 qwerty1505

We are just in the middle of an extension - we had to get extra steel for the apex roof (because of new regulations) as well as steel in extension over sliding doors and steel to support old knocked through back wall of house. We are adding approx 20 sq meters and re configuring old kitchen/dining space to contain an extended hallway, closet, utility and moving kitchen from one side of room to the other. Ball park figure (including VAT) is €35K PLUS - that is without kitchen, 2nd fix carpentry, floors etc.. - with them all added we are at €45K PLUS mark. Your doors are wider than ours though so that would increase that estimate. We got quotes from a number of builders, all quiet similar.

qwerty1505 wrote: »
    We are just in the middle of an extension - we had to get extra steel for the apex roof (because of new regulations) as well as steel in extension over sliding doors and steel to support old knocked through back wall of house. We are adding approx 20 sq meters and re configuring old kitchen/dining space to contain an extended hallway, closet, utility and moving kitchen from one side of room to the other. Ball park figure (including VAT) is €35K PLUS - that is without kitchen, 2nd fix carpentry, floors etc.. - with them all added we are at €45K PLUS mark. Your doors are wider than ours though so that would increase that estimate. We got quotes from a number of builders, all quiet similar.

What new regulations have forced you to get extra steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

thanks guys, around the €40k mark was my own estimate tbh. one estimate i've had has come in around that level while 2 others have been around €60k.

kceire, appreciate the guidance on separate price of steel & doors, that's very helpful :D

qwerty, your job sounds very similar in scale and spec to ours! where are you based out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 qwerty1505

We are based in South Dublin

To be honest my husband is dealing mainly with the builder so I could have gotten the wording wrong with regards new regulations. But we have a friend who is independent of the builder who did construction plans for us for the builder to work from (and for us to get quotes on) and is signing the place off as compliant at the end and checking the job along the way for us - so he, along with my husband, is dealing with the builder with regards what steel, etc.. is needed.

Our extension is timber frame so the build has been really quick as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

The price for the steel seems way off the mark to me as to buy the steel from Heatons would come in under 1,000 inc vat so there must be a lot of other work involved and the same for the door wow.

Just seems a hell of a lot

650gs wrote: »
    The price for the steel seems way off the mark to me as to buy the steel from Heatons would come in under 1,000 inc vat so there must be a lot of other work involved and the same for the door wow.

Just seems a hell of a lot

The OP hasn't mentioned what price his steel was. How can you tell the price is way off if he hasn't posted it?

I wasnt talking about the OP

650gs wrote: »
    I wasnt talking about the OP

I don't know whose price you are quoting then?
    The OP needs a steel beam to span 7m and then another steel beam to take the internal load bearing walls. You ain't gona get that done for 1k.

Structural steel needs to comply with the C.P.R. and be CE marked now and it needs to be designed by an engineer that can stand over it.

Buying a 4m beam in the suppliers can be got for €300 in my area but that's it sold as it, no design, no nothing. Somebody has to stand over it at the end of the day.

Once the engineer gives you a spec then you go and buy the steel to his spec once fitted he signs off. I can buy all that steel under 1,000 euro no prob then its just a matter of labour to fit

• Advertisement
Advertisement