Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish with lump on gill

Options
  • 26-11-2014 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Ladies and Gents,

About two months ago I rescued a fish from a mate who hadn't got time to look after him and I had him in a small make shift tank just to see how he was. He had a minor lump on his gill, I treated it with salt and various medicines but nothing seemed to treat it an he was swimming and feeding happily. He's now in a 2500l pond with 7 other fish and while the lump is still there it doesn't appear to be getting any worse nor has it changed colour in anyway. I'm just wondering with the cold weather coming in what should I expect? Meds will not work at a low temp. I still have the filter and waterfall running and I kept them running last year......leave him in and see? I think I've done all I can. He seems happy out. In his previous life poor water conditions were present, lack of water changes etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Could be a benign cyst. Fish gets cysts, lumps and such just like us. If it was an ulcer it would be red and may appear slimy, and would have receded when you used a salt treatment.

If you're worried about him over the winter move him inside, a 3ft tank with a good Heater and filter will keep him happy.
    Keep and eye on the lump if you keep him outside, wouldn't be surprised if it gets smaller during the cold weather as the blood cools and circulation slows.

What size is he? If he's under 5/6 inches I would be inclined to bring him in for the winter, he's still young and possible suffering from that last home he was in (let me guess it was a bowl ...) and if his immune system is down the lump could flare up.

In all honestly if treatments didn't work, especially salt it's either something completely harmless or unfortunately I hate to say it, cancerous or a tumour. Best see how 'normal' he is, if his environment stays stable but you notice he's very lethargic, discoloured, gasping, fins clamped and possible floating on his side, the lump gets bigger and may discolour (blood red may be scepticemia and black necrosis) or appears to go 'stoney' like it's turning into rock, it isn't good. Heat will speed his matabolism up however heat could also irritate it. If you want to bring him in heat the tank to around 21 degrees or so.

But I'm just giving you worst case scenario, I would put my money on a benign cyst! If it hasn't a flared and if he's acting as his usual a cyst will not stop him living a full and normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

Thanks for the reply!!

He was in a big tank but the external filter failed and my mate wasn't bothered keeping them anymore, well his wife more so and I don't know when the water had last been changed but the tank was murky when I was collecting him. Body is 5-6 inches and he is acting normal and was feeding until I stopped due to the drop in temp. I don't have another tank as I had to move butterfly Koi in to my 400ltr tank last winter as they weren't coping with the temp drop in the pond and the other day I managed to catch an infant goldfish (less then 1cm) from the pond and I have him in a 60l plastic storage container with a U1 filter also inside as I didn't think he'd winter well so I'm at a loss for space!!!

I'll see how he gets on over the coming weeks and I'll act then, thanks Jenny!!

FR85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!!

He was in a big tank but the external filter failed and my mate wasn't bothered keeping them anymore, well his wife more so and I don't know when the water had last been changed but the tank was murky when I was collecting him. Body is 5-6 inches and he is acting normal and was feeding until I stopped due to the drop in temp. I don't have another tank as I had to move butterfly Koi in to my 400ltr tank last winter as they weren't coping with the temp drop in the pond and the other day I managed to catch an infant goldfish (less then 1cm) from the pond and I have him in a 60l plastic storage container with a U1 filter also inside as I didn't think he'd winter well so I'm at a loss for space!!!

I'll see how he gets on over the coming weeks and I'll act then, thanks Jenny!!

He should be ok so at that size! Worse comes to the worst he can go inn to the 60l container with the baby goldie (enough ornaments will stop bullying) and perhaps get the likes of the eheim 2014 internal filter, they're brilliant, small and much more efficient for waste management I find!
    I'd say he's grand though, get some wheatgerm pond food, it works nutritionally at lower temps 5 degrees and up. It holds a lot more nutrition and can be fed when the water is nippy but not freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

He should be ok so at that size! Worse comes to the worst he can go inn to the 60l container with the baby goldie (enough ornaments will stop bullying) and perhaps get the likes of the eheim 2014 internal filter, they're brilliant, small and much more efficient for waste management I find!
    I'd say he's grand though, get some wheatgerm pond food, it works nutritionally at lower temps 5 degrees and up. It holds a lot more nutrition and can be fed when the water is nippy but not freezing.

I have wheatgerm there that I'll start feeding soon, I need to take plants ect out, the dark evenings and late nights in work gives me little time to do this!!

Many thanks for your help again! Mind at ease!

FR85 wrote: »
    I have wheatgerm there that I'll start feeding soon, I need to take plants ect out, the dark evenings and late nights in work gives me little time to do this!!

Many thanks for your help again! Mind at ease!

Leave plants in, they'll provide food for the fish when they feel warm enough to feed even if the pond freezes over and the plants will help with your filter to keep nitrates and phosphates down and keep better water quality.
    Leave the pond to sit and remove the plants and weeds around March when it starts to get warmer and the pond will be more of a display again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement