Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate 5TB Hard Drive - $139.88 (€156 delivered)

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭

I originally saw it on ebay, but the product wouldn't ship directly to Ireland. It then required trickery with US parcel forwarding services and the like. Then, it was on Amazon, which do in fact ship directly to Ireland. Then I found the Amazon UK site selling it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBV5000200-Expansion-desktop-external/dp/B00JV1YQY0/

5TJMds.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-STDT5000100/dp/B00J0O5R2I
    Massive Storage
    Seagate's highest-capacity external hard drive gives you plenty of room to store everything.

Easy Automatic Backup
    With Seagate Dashboard software, you can schedule backups to occur as often as you like, without interrupting your workflow.

Mac and Windows Compatible
    Exchange files between Mac and Windows PCs, no reformatting required.

More Room for Your Whole Life
    Between the photos and videos you have saved on your hard drive and the content you generate on your social networks, you have a lot of data. With Seagate's highest-capacity external hard drive, you'll never have to pick and choose what gets backed up because there's plenty of room for everything.

Backup Made Easy
    Choose from two easy, automatic backup options in the Seagate Dashboard - scheduled or continuous. You can also download Seagate's free Mobile Backup app for iOS and Android devices and back up your photo and video libraries from home or wherever you are.

Seamless PC + Mac File Sharing
    The Seagate Backup Plus Desktop external hard drive is compatible with both Mac and Windows, so you can transfer files between computers without the hassle of reformatting.

It's not a bad offer, and it is a nice price and product.
    It might be worth pulling the trigger on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's €10 for shipping and €29 for import fees. €155 in total.

gCSDEAr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

So tempted.. my biggest fear would be id lump everything on to this and then something would happen and it would be all lost..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Oat23 wrote: »
    It's €10 for shipping and €29 for import fees. €155 in total.

Where did you see that? I was never hit by Amazon before for these, and I bought a block of knives from the US.
    cronin_j wrote: »
    So tempted.. my biggest fear would be id lump everything on to this and then something would happen and it would be all lost..

That's the risk with all hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's the risk with all hard drives.

It's on the payment page. You have to pay import fees on expensive items from Amazon US.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Oat23 wrote: »
    It's on the payment page. You have to pay import fees on expensive items from Amazon US.

Its a deposit- they refund it, if you're not caught by customs.......

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Didn't know you could get drives that big at that sort of price - thanks for the heads-up OP !

Also, just checked it's £140 on Amazon UK - might go that route even though it's a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

So has the price gone back up now or what? Was it ever actually €115 delivered to begin with...?

Looking for something similar myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

4TB one is only £99. With free delivery to the UK you could use parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Seagate have very poor reliability for desktop harddisk (4TB).
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

These external ones are probably the same/similar. I would not touch them with 10-ft pole.

Also 2 yr warranty is deal breaker as most desktop ones have atleast 3yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

free_man wrote: »
    Seagate have very poor reliability for desktop harddisk (4TB).

These external ones are probably the same/similar. I would not touch them with 10-ft pole.

Also 2 yr warranty is deal breaker as most desktop ones have atleast 3yr.

I have to echo this. I've had some seagate external drives and i wouldnt go near them again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Warranty is pretty poor though when you have to say goodbye to your data. I use a mixture of Samsung/WD and Seagate in my HTPC/backup (18 drives) at home. I've had 3 failures and they were all WD so I don't buy them anymore, 2 were under warranty but I still had to pack them and post them off to the UK at my expense and they had to be tested etc before I got replacement.
    Bottom line is all hard drives will fail...backup!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

slave1 wrote: »

Fact. You have to back up. I run 6 hard drives. One for movies, one for tv and one for music and photos. Each one of these has a back up.

slave1 wrote: »
    Warranty is pretty poor though when you have to say goodbye to your data. I use a mixture of Samsung/WD and Seagate in my HTPC/backup (18 drives) at home. I've had 3 failures and they were all WD so I don't buy them anymore, 2 were under warranty but I still had to pack them and post them off to the UK at my expense and they had to be tested etc before I got replacement.

The point is not whether you have a backup or not. WHen you buy a HDD you expect it to last atleast 1-2 yrs, Seagates are known to fail before that.
    Backup is no good if the medium has tendency to fail after a few months.

Callanutd wrote: »
    Fact. You have to back up. I run 6 hard drives. One for movies, one for tv and one for music and photos. Each one of these has a back up.

And what if both HDD for movies fail at same time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I have 7+ year old external hard drive that still seems to be working away (occasional used as offline backup). :D

My primary back up setup now is a HP N54L running UnRaid keeping a.. RAID 5 configuration (I believe). So if I put 4 drives in, largest one would be dedicated as the parity drive and I can use the other three drives as I please, and if any of them were to fail, just replace the faulty drive and the contents of the failed drive would be rebuilt - as if by magic. So goes the theory, I haven't had to test it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Take it from someone who lost about two years worth of digital photos from a failed hard drive back in 2005...

Backup backup backup - and when you have your backup done, make another backup of it and place it in your parents house in case of flood or fire!

Its great to see drives coming back down in price once again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭innthe

seems cheap for a 5tb USB 3 hard drive, ordered one myself. Also have lower versions reduced too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Johny_cash

How is this powered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Johny_cash wrote: »
    How is this powered?

It says in the description that it has a power cable and power supply. USB 3 can't power 5TB external drives yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

already posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Beano wrote: »
    already posted here

That puts this thread into an infinite loop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I still haven't seen any link provided in this thread that gets you a 5TB Hardrive for 115 euro delivered or anywhere near that.

I'm seeing it for 150 sterling at the moment with the original link.

Edit: Just did price history search and see the price was lower a couple weeks ago but has gone back up again now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Purchased a 3TB version on Black Friday week, just arrived this morning, about 2 minutes to farm the hard drive out and it's a typical internal hard drive, casing held up well so I might stick an old hard drive into it for the craic.
    Internal hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

free_man wrote: »
    WHen you buy a HDD you expect it to last atleast 1-2 yrs,

I'd be expecting a HDD to last a hell of a lot longer than that. I recently bought a new seagate 2TB usb powered on a deal on amazon, the only other external drive I have is also a seagate and its 8 years old and going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'd be expecting a HDD to last a hell of a lot longer than that. I recently bought a new seagate 2TB usb powered on a deal on amazon, the only other external drive I have is also a seagate and its 8 years old and going strong.

You're going to be disappointed.:)
    Drives made 8 years ago lasted a lot longer than the modern day drives.
    They were better made and were lower capacity so the workload wouldn't be as great. Hard drives like all media have a read/write life so the more it's used the quicker it will fail and they WILL FAIL.
    Under 'normal usage', 4 years is probably tops.
    If you need a drive to work long hours (NAS, Server, CCTV etc) then stay away from the consumer models and go for the higher end ones.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    They were better made and were lower capacity so the workload wouldn't be as great. Hard drives like all media have a read/write life so the more it's used the quicker it will fail and they WILL FAIL.
    If you need a drive to work long hours (NAS, Server, CCTV etc) then stay away from the consumer models and go for the higher end ones.

I don't (currently anyway) use a hard drive very heavily, could be used a few times a week and then other times mightn't be used for weeks. Watching an odd tv show or movie is all really.

kaizersoze wrote: »

I agree with most part but not last item. You can stick with consumer models for NAS, CCTV etc. You will just need to have new one after 2-3 yrs instead of 5 yrs but the amount saved by not using high end will be enough for extra spares.

They are going for consumer HDDs for a company and saving money. I am sure average joe will be better off with consumer then enterprise for NAS or CCTV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement