Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redback Spiders + Young Puppy

• 26-11-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone may be able to help me with something here.

I was refitting the porch light outside our house last night and came across 2 x redback spiders underneath the light housing. I've spent a bit of time in Australia (8 years ago, so I didn't bring them home with me!), and I recognised them instantly.

They are a shiny black with a red pattern on the larvae sack.

I'm nervous that they are going to get into the house, given the current cold weather (I believe they were getting heat off the porch light which is on every night). To add to the mix, we've just taken ownership of a 3 month old puppy who's very inquisitive and pretty much eats anything that moves. I'm worried that she may come across them if they're in the house and end up getting bitten.

Is there anything I can do, or anyone I can call to have these removed? Or is that complete overkill?

Thanks for reading,
    TB

-Mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd think they are unlikely to be redbacks to be honest. There are many types of so-called 'false widow' spiders that are causing (unnecessary) panic in Ireland and the UK at the moment, fanned by some uninformed articles in the tabloid press. If you can take a decent photo of them and post it over on the Nature and Birdwatching forum, someone may be able to make a positive identification for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Alun wrote: »
    I'd think they are unlikely to be redbacks to be honest. There are many types of so-called 'false widow' spiders that are causing (unnecessary) panic in Ireland and the UK at the moment, fanned by some uninformed articles in the tabloid press. If you can take a decent photo of them and post it over on the Nature and Birdwatching forum, someone may be able to make a positive identification for you.

Thanks Alun, I'll try and get a decent photo this evening to post in the forum.

Completely agree, most likely false widow, with a funny pattern on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Redbacks are not yet confirmed as being seen in Ireland, but can't be excluded as they have been positively confirmed in the UK. Take a decent picture if you can.
    However, I would not take any risks and terminate the creepers.

Thanks Alun, I'll try and get a decent photo this evening to post in the forum.

Completely agree, most likely false widow, with a funny pattern on the back.

keep in mind the false widow is also poisonous, whilst not deadly to people I'd be weary with a young puppy as it is so much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Hi all,

Quick update here - disposed of the two of them with the hoover last night, following advice from a pal in the pest control business who suggested it was more than likely a false widow.

Managed to get a snap...

H8gsrRA.jpg

Now safely in the wheelie bin!

Thanks for all the replies
    TB.

• Advertisement

would agree with false widow. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:

Its a False widow spider. I do know of a case in Dublin were a dog died by constant false widow bites from a spider that took up residents in his kennel. Unfortunately a Vets just put it down to a skin allergy in the beginning. It wasnt until the dog was brought to another vet who recognized them as spider bites. By that stage it was too late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Be careful speaking from experience no great danger but it feels like you have been stabbed when one of those little critters has a nibble.

Advertisement