Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a workshop/garage

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi could anyone give me some help, I'm thinking about putting up a workshop at home, roughly about 40ftx20ft, am looking for advice for cost etc, concrete prices, block prices labour prices, timber for roof prices and corrugated sheeting prices etc, any help would be appreciated as I don't know weather to build a block shed or just buy a steel one depending on price, also planning permission how much does this cost and do you know does the steel sheds need planning permission, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

A garage Under 25m2 (and some other conditions) is exempt from planning. you need planning. The person who prepares the drawings and submits should be able to give you a rough idea of what it will cost. Costs for planning wil depend on the site. I'd expect 1/2k all in for planning

• Registered Users Posts: 42 topstuff

BryanF wrote: »
    A garage Under 25m2 (and some other conditions) is exempt from planning. you need planning. The person who prepares the drawings and submits should be able to give you a rough idea of what it will cost. Costs for planning wil depend on the site. I'd expect 1/2k all in for planning

Thanks for that and what meter sq would the 40x20 be? Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

40x20 = 800 square feet = 74.3 square metres according to online calculator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 learnabout

Skatedude wrote: »
    40x20 = 800 square feet = 74.3 square metres according to online calculator
    just build a lean to inside the allowed without planning and another facing it!! All this bloody red tape and planning drives my blood pressure! They have enough of my hard earned money got

learnabout wrote: »
    just build a lean to inside the allowed without planning and another facing it!! All this bloody red tape and planning drives my blood pressure! They have enough of my hard earned money got

What do you mean by 'another facing it'?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by 'another facing it'?
    basically build "two small sheds" very close together! Very close together! So close one would almost think they are joining!!! Get me?

basically build "two small sheds" very close together! Very close together! So close one would almost think they are joining!!! Get me?

And what would be the point of that? Unless your a farmer the max shed you can have without planning is 25m2. Get me?

And what would be the point of that? Unless your a farmer the max shed you can have without planning is 25m2. Get me?
    You can have two 25m2 sheds very close together! That wouldn't require planning! There is no limit to the amount of sheds you have under 25m2

You can have two 25m2 sheds very close together! That wouldn't require planning! There is no limit to the amount of sheds you have under 25m2

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    See 'class 3'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ohh you need to do some reading on planning law before dishing out advice.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Ohh you need to do some reading on planning law before dishing out advice.
    but if you build them on wheels its ok

but if you build them on wheels its ok
    see 'class 8'

see 'class 8'
    on skids ?