Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking my pension to buy a car

Options
  • 26-11-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

Please excuse me if this sounds dumb - just looking for an opinion.

I am in a secure job and I might have to get my own car for commute soon for a new job I'm starting.

I have a very small saving of around 5K which I do not want to break for emergency purposes.

The only way I can buy a reasonable car (nothing too expensive - something around 3-4K) is either get a small loan or else break my pension plan with my current employer. I only joined the pension plan about 2 years ago and I believe I have around 5-6K saved in that account.

Considering that I will get deducted an income tax and I will be left with around 4K which I can buy a car with and the rest into my personal savings account.

I will probably join a pension plan with my new employer next year. I'm in my early 30's.

Now, does this sound unreasonable?

I'd rather not draw a loan if possible - just never had a loan and feel a bit uncomfortable about getting a loan.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

get a loan and pay back early. it will look good for you when you go for a mortgage

done go near the pension plan

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Agreed, you should try and build your pension up in your 30s, it will keep earning interest for the next 35 years tax free. Id get a loan, thats what theyre for (plus interest rates are so low it should be decent value).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ThatFatGal

Thank you both - now, where can I get a loan that I can pay off within a year?

Credit union or my bank? Never had a loan so completely at loss here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

ThatFatGal wrote: »
    Thank you both - now, where can I get a loan that I can pay off within a year?

Credit union or my bank? Never had a loan so completely at loss here!

See who has the best rates and will lend you the money you want.

And for future info you can't use your pension fund like that unless you have contributed AVC's to it and you can only cash in a certain % of your AVC amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it possible to lease rather than buy a car here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Is it possible to lease rather than buy a car here?

It is, but it's expensive for private individuals

OP - Get a credit union loan and overpay, I did

Advertisement